Beach Hunters: What Do You Buy First? Axiom Or Manticore

We don't have much information about either of these detectors for the beach as of yet so we'll be pulling out an answer.  Which way are you leaning?

I have a choice, but I'll wait for a few answers before I disclose my logic.

• Like 1

Manticore is better suited for beach hunting for most people. I personally would lean towards the Axiom as I like a PI for beach hunting anymore and rarely hunt in the surf.

• Thanks 1

Depends if you're planning on entering the water obviously as that dictates your decision, for the sand I'd take the Axiom any day, our clean free from most junk beaches with quite a bit of black sand just beg for PI's to cruise over them and after digging for gold in rock hard ground and smashing up bedrock any digging in sand is a bit of a joke, it's a dream situation where you can dig giant holes in seconds so who cares about digging everything.  If the water is involved I'd pick the Mantuscore obviously for it's waterproofing, but you know me, it's got to be both!   I'll never die wondering, I like to try things to see if they suit me and for any beach I'd want to hit it with both and take advantage of the strong points of each of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

my beaches are full of waste and thousands of pulltabs at all depths So I choose manticore, of course I don't think it helps on pulltabs

On the nox, the pulltab in good condition sounds and ID like many gold rings, maybe manticore has more subtlety on this scenario, we can always dream

• Thanks 1

With Todays VLF Technology so high ….I see very few PI’s on The Southern California Beaches…….12 years Ago PI’s ruled The Beaches 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Axiom coils float like proverbial corks, and are useless for wading. It on the other hand handles dense magnetite better than any detector I’ve ever used, a plus for west coast beach hunters. As a PI it’s pretty much dig everything, or know how to hunt with a PI by ear. The vast majority of people would be better served with a Manticore.

I’ll be using the Axiom, unless I need to be fully submerged, then I go to Equinox. I got a spare 13” mono for the Axiom that I’m going to convert to a wading coil. But it has as much to do with the fact that I just enjoy running a PI detector, than any thought that it will get me more or better finds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beach hunting is much different than water hunting, at least my style anyways.

I myself will be more in the water so I need the better of the 2 for waterproof (Manticore).  I also prefer the better target identification of the Manticore.  No, I am not a dig it all guy when looking for gold rings.  I could care less about coins.

When using the proven Equinox in the water, these numbers will help your odds.  I think the Manticore will do just as good or better.

I posted this info to another post recently but it's worth a 2nd.

EQRingID.thumb.jpg.ce1e78cc496f92113e6f1ece4a8fb66d.jpg

#'s 6 - 18 cover the majority of gold/platinum rings that I have recovered. Only 16 of the 200 rings register a reading outside of those numbers.  If you want to play the odds, the 5 best #'s are 10, 13, 14, 15, & 16.  Those 5 #'s account for over 50% of the 200 rings.  The 2 best #'s are #13 & 14 as they register 50 of the 200 rings = 25%.

We all know nothing is foolproof and all of these numbers can be slightly off if targets are at depth and or on edge or under/over another different target.  But if you enjoy playing the odds and saving time, I have yet to find anyone with a more extensive test.

I do see in some situations the Axiom being the better to though, so I feel it's your style of hunt that will tell you.

Best option is to purchase both from Gerry's Detectors and now your bases are covered.🤣

Good luck everyone.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 3

From the videos I have seen so far with the Minelab engineer present, I get the impression that Beach/Saltwater detecting is one of the main focuses of the new Manticore with it having 4 separate modes for that type of hunting. That and the two tier Iron Bias & Salt ID at 0 with Iron below that on the TID scale is interesting. It makes sense that Minelab would want to build on their success on the Salt/Beach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JCR said:

From the videos I have seen so far with the Minelab engineer present, I get the impression that Beach/Saltwater detecting is one of the main focuses of the new Manticore with it having 4 separate modes for that type of hunting. That and the two tier Iron Bias & Salt ID at 0 with Iron below that on the TID scale is interesting. It makes sense that Minelab would want to build on their success on the Salt/Beach.

There 20 to 1 Land Hunters though and I think the Beach/Water/Prospecting is just icing on the cake.  They are going for the masses in my opinion. 

• Like 2