This Looks Like Pyrite & Galena (in Quartz) To Me - Any Other Insights?

Cracked this one open and there flakes of gold / blue / red & silver colors inside - I'm thinking it must be pyrite & galena? The rock is not especially heavy, especially when compared to others nearby where the galena had a darker blue color overall.

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

Image_4.jpeg

Image_5.jpeg

Image_6.jpeg

• The title was changed to This Looks Like Pyrite & Galena (in Quartz) To Me - Any Other Insights?

If you take a small screwdriver and try to crush/smash a piece of the yellow stuff it should not break.

If it is gold it will smash it rather than break.

Hope this helps as I hope that you have found some small gold.

Can you get a signal from your metal detector from it, if so what type of detector and what is the ID numbers.

Looks like some sulfides in quartz and maybe some type of cherty limestone host rock. Hard to tell from photos, especially on my small phone.

Chalcopyrite has a greenish black streak, pyrite has a brownish black streak, and galena has a gray streak. Best way to tell the 3 apart. A small streak plate is a great inexpensive investment if you are identifying minerals. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice - I will try and crush a small piece to be 100% sure. I wasn't using a metal detector - just spotted a few chunks by eye at a river location. This one stood out the most.

Getting a streak plate sounds like a good, affordable idea to help with these 🙂

• Like 1