Crusty Beach Finds

If you are a beach hunter like I am most of the time then you have to deal with the crusty, corroded, rusted, scratchy beach sounds.  I mostly use my Equinox 800 with 15 inch coil and I listen for targets first and interrogate until the target starts to identify itself.  At some point I determine if I'm going to dig (most of the time) based upon the sound, ID and what I have been finding nearby.

I'll dig tent stakes, shield pennies, screws (steel & iron) and other things.  I sometimes say to myself if I'm not finding rusty bobby pins then I'm not in the right place.  With all of that trash in mind and the new detectors coming out with improved chips and id displays, what do we know?  I mean, do we know that the manufactures are trying to make these trash signals 'invisible' or actually show them and make the id so good we know not to dig like a pull tab at 14 for instance on the 800.

What detector have you found that works the best on the crusties?

• Like 2

Was just hunting a replenished beach.  Lack of everything.   My machine ( Tarsacci )  was doing a very good job of IDing junk.  Most interesting challenge was Quarters vs Bottle caps   Very similar in tone and numbers.    Because of the overall lack of coins I dug everything close.   But called it junk or coin ahead of digging.    So I guess I was right in understanding the machine maybe little over 80% of the time.   I'd say crust, bent up, hope against hope or my 73 yr old ears , and machines being machines resulted in the miss's.    Fresh Stella caps were the most tricky.  I hunt a beach down in Florida, if tent pegs were worth 10 cents I wouldn't bother with coins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, mn90403 said:

I mean, do we know that the manufactures are trying to make these trash signals 'invisible' or actually show them and make the id so good we know not to dig like a pull tab at 14 for instance on the 800.

What detector have you found that works the best on the crusties?

I'm not completely sure I understand your question but for discerning the type of target under the coil...  thats an easy question for me...the CTX 3030 has the best ID/discrimination capabilities. But running in disk looses depth...and it sounds like you are after depth Mitch...you hunt at the beach mostly...maybe this new minelab will provide what you are after...I really love going to the giant saltwater beaches and just digging everything till I get tired of it..(something I rarely get to do) but for that my TDI pro with the clean sweep coil is hard to beat. We will always be digging pull tabs unless another bruce candy comes along and figures it out for us..just sayin

strick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1