Found Some Items Not Sure On Age Or What They Are

Not sure if this is the right area to post - completely new to metal detecting but really enjoying as have found a couple of what appear to be very old items and I’m hoping someone may be able to help me identify?

one appears to be a fired musket ball, and the other I’m unsure of but it looks quite old. I almost thought maybe it was a musket pin that you’d use to put down the balls?

any help or insight much appreciated! 

C28AA4BB-22A7-4636-9244-F47595C1132E.jpeg

30B24DC9-0E1C-440E-81EE-7D8FDDFB8EC6.jpeg

345F0F81-7F4F-4618-8B35-C18B1CC04E55.jpeg

744B4A8D-4362-4A85-99E3-C33087738831.jpeg

744B4A8D-4362-4A85-99E3-C33087738831.thumb.jpeg.9648739440a839bbc3fa88e6c0a972b3.jpeg

• Like 5

Welcome Dil! 🙂

Most new forum members post something in Meet and Greet to tell us a bit about themselves, what detector (s) they have and what general area of the country they live. That helps with context on finds particularly.

The iron object could be anything from a buggy part to a model T part, probably isn't a musket loading device. 🤔

That ball is pretty large to be from a musket, any idea of its diameter? Most aren't more than 75mm.

Best to photograph what you find on a neutral background, white paper is fine. Then use Google Lens to see if it comes up, in hand it's a bit more difficult. 

Looking forward to info and more finds!

• Like 2

The iron or brass object appears to be either part of an old style door handle - the sort you open by pressing your thumb on a lever - or some kind of similar thing where you press your finger on a lever to move some mechanism at the other end. 

The iron piece looks like half of a mold of some kind.

Is the round end with a half of a hole in it. If so it could be for making musket balls for a gun.

Just a thought because I could see some type rivets in the metal.

What do some of the others on here think about the idea that i have suggested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

The iron piece looks like half of a mold of some kind.

Is the round end with a half of a hole in it. If so it could be for making musket balls for a gun.

Just a thought because I could see some type rivets in the metal.

What do some of the others on here think about the idea that i have suggested.

Not a bullet mold, photo 1 and 3 show both sides of the "round end", no holes.

I'm not sure of what it is myself.

• Thanks 1

The Brass item is very interesting & has some age to it. If you keep hunting & learning this fascinating hobby/history you will be able to ID it someday. The Lead is quite old.

Welcome to the Forum. Take time to properly introduce yourself, there are great folks here of like mind.

On 8/30/2022 at 6:24 PM, F350Platinum said:

Welcome Dil! 🙂

Most new forum members post something in Meet and Greet to tell us a bit about themselves, what detector (s) they have and what general area of the country they live. That helps with context on finds particularly.

The iron object could be anything from a buggy part to a model T part, probably isn't a musket loading device. 🤔

That ball is pretty large to be from a musket, any idea of its diameter? Most aren't more than 75mm.

Best to photograph what you find on a neutral background, white paper is fine. Then use Google Lens to see if it comes up, in hand it's a bit more difficult. 

Looking forward to info and more finds!

thank you! I will definitely head to the meet and greet soon and will post better photos of ball shortly. Just wanted to in the meantime say thanks to all for the input! I’m really enjoying the processs of trying to figure out what the items are I’m finding.