Any Advice On Trying Coils On The Aq?

23 hours ago, bklein said:

Anything to watch out for trying a coil on the AQ?  I have a Beach Hog Bigfoot style coil I’ve used with my GP Extremes.    Don’t want to kill the AQ!

I have a list of either seven or nine coils that Eric powered up with the AQ. A couple had to have some dampening but I believe 7 worked straight out of the box. I don’t think you will hurt the machine though. They will either work or not.  I have hundreds of mails over the years so it may take awhile to find. I’ll let you know. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carolina said:

I have a list of either seven or nine coils that Eric powered up with the AQ. A couple had to have some dampening but I believe 7 worked straight out of the box. I don’t think you will hurt the machine though. They will either work or not.  I have hundreds of mails over the years so it may take awhile to find. I’ll let you know. 

If you find the list, please post it here. I'm curious about that too!

• Like 1

I have found the mail. Some are Whites coils, some coiltek and a couple test coils for the TDI. I can tell you any coil around 300>375 uH and 3 ohms resistance should work. However the cable used may be an issue. The AQ uses a mini coax and that is what we finally ended up using. A Belden  1808 A  2 C 3 0   shielded video cable. The following were bench test only. It will still work with a 5 ohm coil but slightly less depth due to the lower pulse current. These were tested with their original cables. Again bench test. Until we changed to the mini Belden, I shipped several coils back after field test were unacceptable. I can tell you i X rayed the stock coils (8”) & (12”) and there is nothing special about their construction. I did not include the 2 TDI test coils as they are not available.

Whites 12” TDI

Whites 7.5 Dual Field

11” Goldscan 2 DF 1992 vintage

Coiltek 14” x 9” elliptical mono

Coiltek 15” mono

Nuggetfinder 24” mono

The last 3 need an added resistance of 2.2 ohms to bring them close to the 3 ohms required. The resistor will get warm so it needs to be in a box. Above water only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Carolina said:

Whites 12” TDI

Was that the dual field or mono version you tested?

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Was that the dual field or mono version you tested?

Mono. That does not rule out the DF though. Measure the ohms value. If it’s right around 3 ohms it should work. Again these test were preformed by Eric Foster.

• Like 1

I will also add, that the stock 12” coil is as deep or deeper than all the coils that were tried. I don’t think you can do any better than the 12” and 8” stock coils and the 10” Foster coils that I sold. Good luck everybody!

Most any coil that will work on a TDI/GPX will work on the AQ. A potential problem is that a lot of those coils may not work down to 7us. I once put an AQ coil on a TDI and could then run the TDI down to 7us, but with the stock TDI coil 10us was the limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Most any coil that will work on a TDI/GPX will work on the AQ. A potential problem is that a lot of those coils may not work down to 7us. I once put an AQ coil on a TDI and could then run the TDI down to 7us, but with the stock TDI coil 10us was the limit.

One of the coils Eric tried was a TDI test coil you had made. Had not been potted yet. No sense to list it. I have found that 10uS is the sweet spot for me here on the east coast salt water. I very rarely use 7uS except high on the slope after storms looking for chains. I don’t think there are any coils deeper or quieter than the 12” &  8” stock coils and Eric’s 10” once tuned properly. 

• Like 2