Equinox 800 Failure

darksky10

hi everybody and I’m new to this forum but I’m sure not new to metal detecting as I’ve been doing this for 40 years. Are you I’ve used an Excal II For many years now. I had a friend who had a one year old equinox 800 and I bought it from home so it is still well under warranty and I did call the North American representative and left a phone message and I hope they get back to me.

for many years now. I had a friend who had a one year old equinox 800 and I bought it from home so it is still well under warranty and I did call the North American representative and left a phone message and I hope they get back to me.

I was detecting in a bay For the first time and was in waist deep water and having pretty good success bringing up a toy car and some clad and of course the perfunctory sinkers. The bay bottom was very heavy and tough mud so I would let the detector go and use two hands with my long handled scoop. Right near the end of my session, I got the CD error message. I left the water and packed up. I surmised that CD meant coil disconnect and so at the car I checked the connection and it was tight as hell. My battery was Almost fully charged as well. 

when I got home I turned on the machine and all I got was a little screen with nothing on it. So that’s the way it is now. There are no functions or detecting with the unit. I don’t think there’s gonna be a quick fix but I wondered if anyone else experienced the same situation and I do hope that the North American Minelab people are responsive. Any comments would be appreciated and I’m happy to join this group! I really enjoyed using the detector while it lasted and had a really good experience when I was land detecting With this machine at my grandson!

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, darksky10 said:

I wondered if anyone else experienced the same situation and I do hope that the North American Minelab people are responsive. Any comments would be appreciated and I’m happy to join this group! I really enjoyed using the detector while it lasted and had a really good experience when I was land detecting With this machine at my grandson!

Minelab is responsive. If you are in warranty, there is little to be concerned about. They will replace it! 

• Like 2

There's no fixing to it, they will replace the control pod with a new one. From what I've read, they are out of 800 pods right now with no ETA available. I'd take the pod off the handle and get it ready to ship to the repair center on PA. I'd be calling Minelab customer service until I got hold of someone that will give you a RA# I went thru this process 4 times in the last 4.5 years. The reason I said to ship only the pod is to save on shipping which you'll have to pay. On the plus side, since it's still under warranty, it'll be a free replacement. Good luck and really sorry to hear what happened.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. “No pods available now” - I hope this is not the case as this model is widely available from many sources. I have a trip planned where I was hoping to use my Equinox 800. I will let thus forum know how it turns out. Thanks!

• Like 1