Detectors Form Factor

This is likely a stupid question, but I'll ask.  While I'm not interested in landmines, it seems that some mine detectors fold into those nice-looking and portable packages.  Why all(?) civilian detectors that I know of have this standard, less-portable, and more awkward form factor: a coil on a (collapsible) stick with a control box attached?

The only stupid question is the one you don’t ask.

We all want something lighter and when you start trying to make something compact you may be adding weight at the same time.

One great compact detector is Minelab SDC 2300 but has the weight to go with it.

The lighter it can be made the longer one can last longer in the field. It really helps us old guys to last longer when we not so strong anymore.

Chuck 

• Like 5

In the military you have no trouble handling off that detector to another guy. Now if you out there nugget hunting would you be so willing to hand off your detector to another guy when the next swing is that nugget of a life time. I don’t believe you would and that’s why you want that detector as light as it can be made.

I joke all the time about digging for someone but that’s the last thing I’d want for myself. Why ? Because I found it and I want to be the one to be there when it sees the light of day for the first time ever.

Chuck 

PS Nugget hunting and fishing is a lot alike.

That fish that got away is the biggest you have ever seen.

That nugget is the biggest you have ever found until you get it on a scales .

• Like 6

Economics? The general public want it cheap, so industry-standard Imperial sized aluminium tubes are an obvious choice.

But you have a point about the packing aspect. Even with simple tubing, they could put more thought into the design. There's examples of machines that break down into 3 sections ... that's good. Except one is long, one medium, one short .... not really a recipe for optimum packing.
I've also noted that other aspects of the mechanicals are poor, too. Making two huge 13mm diameter holes in a 22.2mm tube is awful engineering, especially at a high stress point. But two manufacturers have done this. And both have seen failure of the tube as a result.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:15 AM, mcjtom said:

This is likely a stupid question, but I'll ask.  While I'm not interested in landmines, it seems that some mine detectors fold into those nice-looking and portable packages.  Why all(?) civilian detectors that I know of have this standard, less-portable, and more awkward form factor: a coil on a (collapsible) stick with a control box attached?

I’d rather have the consumer style than the heavy, awkward, expensive, military folding designs. Having owned both, as far as I am concerned, telescoping is superior to folding.

garrett-axiom-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 3