Garrett Axiom At Nome, Alaska

It's beautiful up there. Great photos. Lots of nuggets. I'm happy you went there finally. The gold is good up there.

• Like 1

Nice work Steve...goes to show what an experienced prospector is capable of on strange ground...could there be a thin layer of graphite also on those nuggets that stained them? 

Strick

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work Steve...goes to show what an experienced prospector is capable of on strange ground...could there be a thin layer of graphite also on those nuggets that stained them? 

Strick

I suppose anything is possible, but manganese coatings are fairly common in various locations.

• Like 3

Fantastic report, Steve. And congrats for finding these beautiful nuggets. Clearly, the Axiom should be called The Beast 😉. Just curious, you mentioned these are glacial deposits. I always thought glacial deposits are mostly fine gold. Is this different up there? Also, I suppose this was a private claim used for commercial operations?

GC

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I encountered this very same pay layer at my old mine at Moore Creek, where we called it "coffee grounds" due to the color of the generally sandy material. It was a sign of the best and richest material, and looked like the exact same scenario here.

Good work Steve.  You make it look easy.  You need to remind everyone you are an Alaskan Miner.  Your lessons were hard won and not easily transferred to other miners.

I've been to Nome, and it is unfamiliar ground.  You can't just go to any ol working mine and help'em find gold.

I'm glad the Axiom worked as well as it did.  It certainly seems like a new arrow in the quiver for avid prospectors.

Mitchel

• Like 1

A beautiful article with great scenery of the area and a nice amount of gold found.

Great job Steve and glad that you were able to enjoy yourself while going home.

Now that I said that I just have one question for you, why didn't you take me with you.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The clay is settled glacial silt, but the placer is more complex than just simple glacial deposits. Coarse gold can and does occur in glacial terrain. Geology is rarely simple, and here we have chunky gold, with lots of quartz. Plenty of bedrock sources at Nome, many still undiscovered. Long story short more than one thing was happening here geologically. Did you know the Northern California high Sierra gold country is full of glacial deposits, and also has very large gold nuggets? https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/620-glaciers-gold/

Yes, the miners are engaged in serious commercial scale operations. I got to hold a jug with 450 ounces of gold in it. :smile:

Many thanks, Steve! And yes I am aware of the CA glacial deposits. Although I have not spent much time in the very high up Sierra Nevada regions,  I have plans to explore some areas more thoroughly. I will PM you to get you thoughts on a specific location that I have in mind...

GC

• Like 1