White’s Bigfoot Coil

YK253

Hi everyone,

A few years back, I came across an older Metal Detector at a garage sale and it came with a “Bigfoot Coil” , I thought I’d be using it more often than I was and decided to see how much they cost. After a Google/eBay search, I listed it on eBay for a price that I felt was fair that they were selling for. I ended up finding someone interested in it on eBay and sent it out to them for cheaper than I even had it listed for, as well as paying for the shipping. 

About a week after he received it, he sends me this message; 

"I finally have a chance to check out the Bigfoot coil you sent and thought after hooking up to 1 of my 3 DFX detectors that this is not the correct coil as you have listed for DFX. I went in the basement and found my DFX Bigfoot coil I have not used in several years and testing them against one another. You coil has to be for different frequency Whites detectors as it’s different looking upon top of coil and testing with my wedding ring I get a pretty consistent 20-22 VDI which is normal number even with 9 1/2” coil and with Bigfoot coil it shows a VDI number of close to 85 consistent so I would like to receive a return label as this coil you sent is not correctly working for a DFX.”

Just wondering if I can get some input from someone that actually knows what he’s talking about 😅 from what I originally saw, it looked like the BigFoot Coil only came in one model? But could there be different types? I’d really hate to pay shipping again and go through all the hassle of returning it and trying to resell it again. Any help or input is appreciated! 

Attached are pictures of my Bigfoot coil , and the last picture is a pic he sent in comparison to his other one.

Thank you in advance!

5764D02E-8BD5-4D13-9746-FF1B87BE926B.jpeg

27B08EE4-2BCB-4F16-8EB2-2E52E944DE3B.jpeg

6F6A5619-CCBA-4F78-B33C-D7A039F8FE6D.jpeg

7134C621-EA92-4ED6-965F-8E1CE6959D29.jpeg

9B7FD925-FC42-4B36-8EBD-A18EF41D09E5.jpeg

6 hours ago, YK253 said:

Hi everyone,

A few years back, I came across an older Metal Detector at a garage sale and it came with a “Bigfoot Coil” , I thought I’d be using it more often than I was and decided to see how much they cost. After a Google/eBay search, I listed it on eBay for a price that I felt was fair that they were selling for. I ended up finding someone interested in it on eBay and sent it out to them for cheaper than I even had it listed for, as well as paying for the shipping. 

About a week after he received it, he sends me this message; 

“I finally have a chance to check out the Bigfoot coil you sent and thought after hooking up to 1 of my 3 DFX detectors that this is not the correct coil as you have listed for DFX. I went in the basement and found my DFX Bigfoot coil I have not used in several years and testing them against one another. You coil has to be for different frequency Whites detectors as it’s different looking upon top of coil and testing with my wedding ring I get a pretty consistent 20-22 VDI which is normal number even with 9 1/2” coil and with Bigfoot coil it shows a VDI number of close to 85 consistent so I would like to receive a return label as this coil you sent is not correctly working for a DFX.”

Just wondering if I can get some input from someone that actually knows what he’s talking about 😅 from what I originally saw, it looked like the BigFoot Coil only came in one model? But could there be different types? I’d really hate to pay shipping again and go through all the hassle of returning it and trying to resell it again. Any help or input is appreciated! 

Attached are pictures of my Bigfoot coil , and the last picture is a pic he sent in comparison to his other one.

Thank you in advance!

9B7FD925-FC42-4B36-8EBD-A18EF41D09E5.jpeg

You didn't mention which detector the Big Foot came with!? As far as I can see on the net there are two different types of Big Foot Coils. One for the 6kHz range (as yours should be) and one for the 3-15kHz range (including the DFX). So I think it's your fault and you stand to correct it.

regards

Yes, the coil was made for several White's models. The sticker you don't show us in your last photo generally provides the critical information needed as to which model the coil fits. Without that label, it will be very hard to know which detector model a Bigfoot coil works on.

bigfoot-label.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yes, the coil was made for several White's models. The sticker you don't show us in your last photo generally provides the critical information needed as to which model the coil fits. Without that label, it will be very hard to know which detector model a Bigfoot coil works on.

bigfoot-label.jpg

Hey Steve, thanks for the response, so that’s actually his, and mine is the one on the right, with no sticker. 

6 hours ago, locator said:

You didn't mention which detector the Big Foot came with!? As far as I can see on the net there are two different types of Big Foot Coils. One for the 6kHz range (as yours should be) and one for the 3-15kHz range (including the DFX). So I think it's your fault and you stand to correct it.

regards

Sorry, slipped my mind, it came with the Classic I.D. detector but have no idea if that even is able to work with the BigFoot

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, YK253 said:

Sorry, slipped my mind, it came with the Classic I.D. detector but have no idea if that even is able to work with the BigFoot

I think those were the 6ish kHz ones that may not work with MXT, DFX models and likely less sought after.  Probably still someone out there wanting one for their Classic for surface find hunting. 

• Like 3

The Bigfoot with the thin cable was made for the 6.59 kHz detectors like the Eagle, Spectrum, XLT, 6000 Di Pro, and the Classics. The later version with the heavier cable was made for the DFX, M6, and MXT. ( It will also work but a little wonky on the V3i)

There is much less demand for the earlier BigFoot so it won't fetch nearly as much on the secondary market. Probably looking at $150 - $200 for a good condition earlier model and $400-$500 for the DFX model. 

2 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

The Bigfoot with the thin cable was made for the 6.59 kHz detectors like the Eagle, Spectrum, XLT, 6000 Di Pro, and the Classics. The later version with the heavier cable was made for the DFX, M6, and MXT. ( It will also work but a little wonky on the V3i)

There is much less demand for the earlier BigFoot so it won't fetch nearly as much on the secondary market. Probably looking at $150 - $200 for a good condition earlier model and $400-$500 for the DFX model. 

That’s a good to know to ID these. He thickness of the cable is clearly different in the comparison picture from the buyer.