What Is Your Backup Detector?

Legend with 11” and a Legend with the 6” for a back up.  Only two machines I own. Although, I have thought about picking up a used Deus to play with some. You know one of those deals you can’t say no to… they get me every time… Well, almost. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gold Bug 2 (1997 version and still beeping) backing up the GPZ 7000

Nox 800 backing up the Deus 2

• Like 3

My backup is the wife detector when I can get away with it. Some times I have to pick a spot that she dislikes to get her detector, or wait till she had enough exercise with it. 😉 

• Like 1

The best detector is the one you use the most and the one you enjoy using (within reason).  Put the time and effort in it really doesn't matter all that much.  GPX 4500, GPX 5000, GPX 6000, Axiom, GPZ 7000, I'm betting the person using it the most in the right places with the skills and understanding of their detector finds the most gold, not which detector they're using.   Of course some detectors will do better than others, but miles on the ground means so much more than the reasonably small differences between models.  The same goes with coins and jewellery.  I'm not saying new models are not better, just a bulk of finds would be made with any reasonably competitive product.

In my view, yes some new detectors find more, some are more sensitive, some separate better, some are deeper and the list goes on but a bulk of the finds can be found with any competitive detector.

Think back to the majority of your finds, do you think it was the detector that found it and nothing else would, would your lessor detectors have found it?   Most likely.

I love new technology, I love enhancements and advances in detectors but I'm also realistic, gains are small and not as big as manufacturers peddling their wares would like us to believe.

You know what makes me smile? The person with the Ace 300 that shows the CTX 3030 guy the best find of the day!  It's not all about the detector, not even remotely.

So, which is my backup detector? the one that makes you annoyed the most I use it as my primary and not my backup 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Since I bought the deus II, it’s been my primary detector.  In fact, since I got it, I’ve only put maybe 5 or 6 hours on my nox 800.  I usually keep the 6” on the nox but last weekend I hunted a “retired” golf course and used the nox with the 11” coil (to get more coverage) for the last two hours of the hunt.  It had been so long since I had used it that I forgot how to ground balance it and had to look it up on my phone!  😂  Anyways, I hit the small front yard of the clubhouse with the D2 and pulled 8 wheaties, went over it again with the nox and got zilch.  Now that I’m very familiar with the D2, I’m loving it and the nox feels bulky and like an old friend that I haven’t seen for years.  If I decide to get a new manticore I’ll probably sell the nox.  I just can’t see me managing 3 different detectors and being proficient with all three.  Heck, I have two Tesoro compadres and a mojave that I never use and really need to sell.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I keep the Nox 800 and the Legend in the trunk of my car except when they need cleaning and charging.

The legend is my backup, Nox is my primary detector.

Have the Vanquish 540 at the compound if something happens to those.

Beach wet sand: Primary - TDI BH....... Secondary - Excalibur

Beach black sand:  P - TDI BH.....S - Dual Field

Beach wet sand trashy: P - Excal.....S - Equinox

Beach in water: P - Excal.....S - Nox

Beach dry sand: P - Nox.....S - Excal

Lake in water: P - Nox/Excal.....S - Nox/Excal

Dirt/grass: P - Nox.....S - Don't really have a backup but I could use the Excal, I suppose.

It's nice to have options when you need them. With the exception of my dirt/grass hunting (which I hardly do anymore) I don't feel like there's much of a "drop-off" if I have to go to my backup detectors.

• Like 3

My research is more focused on finding British pounds from the 2nd world war, in this research in addition to metal detectors, geophysical machines are also required to locate caves and warehouses used in those years. by no means can I say that I consider any of my machines as a backup, I can say that I have a mixture of machines that cover each other depending on the occasion. The machines I work with are as follows. Ground Penetration Radar 1.MALA GX 160Mhz... 2.MALA CUII RTA 100Mhz. 500-200Mhz... 3. impedance tomography. 4.4 point light 10W... 5. Proton magnetometer. PPM Mark VII...6.Pulse inductive metal detector.7. lorenz deepmax Z1. MINELAB GPX 5000...8.vlf metal detector. DEUS 1..

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Kostas 13 said:

Η έρευνά μου επικεντρώνεται περισσότερο στην εύρεση βρετανικών λιρών από τον 2ο παγκόσμιο πόλεμο, σε αυτήν την έρευνα εκτός από ανιχνευτές μετάλλων, απαιτούνται και γεωφυσικές μηχανές για τον εντοπισμό σπηλαίων και αποθηκών που χρησιμοποιήθηκαν εκείνα τα χρόνια. σε καμία περίπτωση δεν μπορώ να πω ότι θεωρώ κάποιο από τα μηχανήματα μου ως εφεδρικό, μπορώ να πω ότι έχω ένα μείγμα μηχανημάτων που καλύπτουν το ένα το άλλο ανάλογα με την περίσταση. Τα μηχανήματα με τα οποία δουλεύω είναι τα εξής. Ραντάρ εδάφους διείσδυσης 1.MALA GX 160Mhz... 2.MALA CUII RTA 100Mhz. 500-200Mhz... 3.τομογραφία ειδικής αντίστασης.4.4 σημείων φως 10W...5.Μαγνητόμετρο πρωτονίων. PPM Mark VII...6.Παλμικός επαγωγικός ανιχνευτής μετάλλων.7. lorenz deepmax Z1. MINELAB GPX 5000...8.vlf ανιχνευτής μετάλλων. DEUS 1...

I made a translation of Kostas' contribution....:smile:

My research is more focused on finding British pounds from the 2nd world war, in this research in addition to metal detectors, geophysical machines are also required to locate caves and warehouses used in those years. by no means can I say that I consider any of my machines as backups, I can say that I have a mixture of machines that cover each other depending on the occasion. The machines I work with are as follows. Ground Penetration Radar 1.MALA GX 160Mhz... 2.MALA CUII RTA 100Mhz. 500-200Mhz... 3.resistivity tomography.4.4 point light 10W...5.Proton magnetometer. PPM Mark VII...6.Pulse inductive metal detector.7. lorenz deepmax Z1. MINELAB GPX 5000...8.vlf metal detector. DEUS 1...

• Thanks 2

@Kostas 13That is an interesting type of prospecting. I assume many of the caves remain hidden The Spaniards did the same in the New World.

• Like 2