How Many Hours Do You Detect A Week/month?

mn90403

Last night I got in a 4 hour moon lit beach hunt watching the moon disappear into the clouds, fog and Pacific.  That is reward by itself without finding much valuable jewelry.  This was the 3rd night in a row for me and I'm pretty dialed in right now finding small and deep targets.  One was a tiny computer chip and another was an aluminum can bottom at over 20 inches deep.

I know metal detecting is like riding a bicycle but if you are a mountain biker or a mountain runner you know that more is generally better.

Much of this summer I didn't have a reason to go out more than 3-4 hours a week or less sometimes but now I have been averaging over 20.

How many hours a week do you detect?

• Like 3

60 to 100 hours per month of coin and jewelry hunting. Sometimes much more if I am healthy, not too busy and gold prospecting/relic hunting too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

60 to 100 hours per month

Wow.   Glad you are able to enjoy your passion as much as many of us would like to  👍

Me?  Varies a lot.  Somewhere between 8 and 30 hours a month.  But the 30 is a lot less often than the 8 unfortunately!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Wow.   Glad you are able to enjoy your passion as much as many of us would like to  👍

Me?  Varies a lot.  Somewhere between 8 and 30 hours a month.  But the 30 is a lot less often than the 8 unfortunately!   

I'm semi-retired so I usually have 2 to 4 hours 6 days a week to at least take my dog for a nice walk and find a few coins and some bling or jewelry. Gold prospecting is not happening right now due to a foot injury and because I'm waiting for the Axiom!!!!!!

• Like 3

Varies so much. I have a very little roofing company...as in its just me anymore, can't deal with bs, and that seems to take up most my time. But...winter, could be several times a week, sun up to sundown. In last month...6 hours. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50-60 hours a week prospecting, basically wake to nightfall every day when I'm out. Sometimes it's mostly detecting, sometimes it's mostly exploring. 

That's just when I'm in the field though, I spend about 50% of my time in town running another business that has nothing to do with prospecting. 

The difference in time spent using equipment between people kinda does drive home the point why some feel so much more passionately than others about having equipment working properly. A little lump in your truck seat isn't a big deal when you drive 15 minutes to work, but start spending all day driving cross country for a living and dealing with that lump constantly and it turns into a problem.

• Like 9

Depends on the season. For me it's spring and fall that I hunt the most and I'll do about 10-20 hours average per week during that time. lately I've just been going on longer trips rather that get out every day. So I'll go 4-5 days at a time once a month and hunt all day long.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10-15hrs./week.  semi-sidelined now with physical crap going on....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1