Sierra Mountains Gold Crown

2 hours ago, matt said:

It's probably a crown from a person who's family spread their loved one's ashes at the lake.

Luke, that is a really cool find.  Congratulations.  I was a Comstock member for a year.  Good club with meetings in Reno.  I saw Chris Ralph speak there.

I've found several crowns at the beaches over the years and even more 'toe tags' so I think you are right about the crown.

My wife and I went to Downieville for a weekend trip a few years back.  We were on and near the river when it was very low.  My wife found a 5 gram button and I found a 11-12 gram nugget covered in mercury.  We threw it into a fire to burn it off before we got much mercury on us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

So that’s where I lost it!

Gold is where you find it and it makes no difference where that is. In the ground are in someone’s mouth 👄.haha

The best!

Chuck 

I don’t know why I thought of Gerry when I read this! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just ask yourself this question, Is my detector hunting partner missing any teeth since it has been a very bad week of detecting", if the answer is yes give them back and help them to the dentist office.

• Haha 2

Well the next step for you Luke is get the rest of the false teeth. The ones in the photo were found by my wife's deceased brother at a beach in Queensland Australia where he got over 300 gold rings but he did leave me over 50 gold rings to find at the site.

teeth1.JPG.0c5684e2ccd4fb795072de4c63f4a225.JPG

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 2

18 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work...don't let them guys scare you off your not jumping their claim when looking for jewelry and the like...but what would you do if you thought your were digging a quarter signal with the nox and instead pulled up a 1 ounce gold nugget on their claim? would throw it back? give it to Ole Too tall Tim? what would Tim do with it once you gave it to him? just thinking out loud here... go out and have fun... you have been doing really well so far with your new hobby...and joining a club is a great way to meet people and get your foot in the door so to speak. 

strick 

Honestly, and people may think it's crazy, but if I found a 1 oz piece of gold on their claim I'd donate it to their organization, since they own the claim. I was under the guest pass though, so I suppose that would make me entitled to the find, while remaining in good conscience. In that case I'd probably get a membership. Truly, I would have already gotten a membership, but the process is a bit dated. You have to use actual paper, like the stuff they make out of trees, and send it in the actual physical mail, with this thing called a "check"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 hours ago, matt said:

It's probably a crown from a person who's family spread their loved one's ashes at the lake.

I actually looked into that to be sure. As it turns out, gold crowns don't survive cremation. Hypothetically a 24k gold crown could possibly survive the process, but gold crowns are alloyed with other metals due to the softness of gold. In this case I don't think it came from the ashes of a cremated person. It is definitely a mystery to me how it ended up there. Maybe a gold miner got robbed back in the day 🤷

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LukeJMG1986 said:

Honestly, and people may think it's crazy, but if I found a 1 oz piece of gold on their claim I'd donate it to their organization, since they own the claim. I was under the guest pass though, so I suppose that would make me entitled to the find, while remaining in good conscience. In that case I'd probably get a membership. Truly, I would have already gotten a membership, but the process is a bit dated. You have to use actual paper, like the stuff they make out of trees, and send it in the actual physical mail, with this thing called a "check"

I belong to several 'clubs' and many of the members 'guest' people in all the time.  Sometimes they guest in more than they should, but the guests don't know it.  Many people that were previously members of these clubs continue to visit the claims and they could be technically a claim jumper or a member in the arrears.  No one can really enforce the status very good except by frequency.  If you frequent a place where you have questionable status, then someone may track you down.

If you were to find a large nugget on a club claim, then THAT becomes more valuable than the nugget.  Other members and non-members would like to know that gold is still there.  They would go back and/or join to give it a shot.  Sadly, most club claim members keep their finds 'secret' as per some gold finder rules.  Don't tell people where you found it.  It is an aspect of detecting that affects us all.

• Like 1

I am surprised that Too Tall, feels that it is okay to detect on claims that he

does not own. In my case, I have several claims below Dvle on the N. Yuba that

I pay local Sierra Co. taxes on, plus BLM filing fees, annually. If you were to choose

to detect, or otherwise, remove gold on a claim without permission, that would

make you a thief clear and simple. Formerly, such actions were dealt with in very

clear ways. Nowdays, theft is an acceptable way of getting what is not yours. 

On 9/10/2022 at 6:08 PM, Ausome said:

I am surprised that Too Tall, feels that it is okay to detect on claims that he

does not own.

Oh no, Tim is a club member, and has rights to the claims. The guest pass he extended me was therefore legit. I apologize if that wasn't clear. I should also clarify that the gold crown I found was not on a claim. 

I was invited onto the claims as a guest, but it was awkward for various reasons, and I pretty much avoided it. I will hit the claims in search of relics, and gold jewelry more thoroughly when I've paid the membership fee, and I'm back in town next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1