Sierra Mountains Gold Crown

24K gold has a melting point of 1948* F, 18K is 1675* F and 14K is 1550* K. 

Most current state laws requires cremation temps from 1400-1600* F, which fall short of 24K and 18K gold and may not reach 14K gold.

That said, the Cremation Association of North America guideline suggests that all cremation remains should pass thru a 1/4" screen after "process". 

And process is . . . . read for yourselves. . . . . 

https://www.cremationassociation.org/page/CremationProcess#:~:text=Laws for required temperatures vary,main chamber of the cremator.

I read a lot of stories of folks finding gold teeth beach hunting. I don't see a lot of gold teeth today, so perhaps these gold teeth remains are from a bygone era where family members retired remains to the ocean?

Anyway, i will let you all chew on those thoughts for a while.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, UtahRich said:

24K gold has a melting point of 1948* F, 18K is 1675* F and 14K is 1550* K. 

Most current state laws requires cremation temps from 1400-1600* F, which fall short of 24K and 18K gold and may not reach 14K gold.

That said, the Cremation Association of North America guideline suggests that all cremation remains should pass thru a 1/4" screen after "process". 

And process is . . . . read for yourselves. . . . . 

https://www.cremationassociation.org/page/CremationProcess#:~:text=Laws for required temperatures vary,main chamber of the cremator.

I read a lot of stories of folks finding gold teeth beach hunting. I don't see a lot of gold teeth today, so perhaps these gold teeth remains are from a bygone era where family members retired remains to the ocean?

Anyway, i let you all chew on those thoughts for a while.

Rich

Thanks,

An interesting read. It's hard to hammer down a specific answer on temperature, but what seemed to be universal from the various websites I looked at, was that any metal found in the cremated remains is removed, and usually recycled according to state guidelines. What I found intriguing was your idea of family member retiring remains in a body of water. This gold tooth was found by a decent size lake, and I wonder if some old miner was disposed of that way. It's really a shame the tooth can't talk. I should write a short story, and detail a skirmish between two lifelong buddies who leave their homes to go prospect during the gold rush, only to have their friendship severed by a large gold nugget they find by the lake. It will ultimately culminate in one prevailing over the other, killing him, and hiding the body, only for a metal detectorist to find a gold crown (which I'll have to reference in the earlier parts of the story) by that very lake over 100 years later.

There are quite a few of us who've recovered gold teeth, caps, crowns in years past and many/most have been recovered in or around water as that is a gathering magnet for people.  I expect many of them who lost their teeth from being drunk and getting into fights.

On a side note, one of my favorite token finds is a Downieville, St Charles Hotel piece of history.

I imagine there are some fabulous pieces of history all around that town and area.  Water holes are great places to hunt.  Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

014.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2022 at 7:03 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

There are quite a few of us who've recovered gold teeth, caps, crowns in years past and many/most have been recovered in or around water as that is a gathering magnet for people.  I expect many of them who lost their teeth from being drunk and getting into fights.

On a side note, one of my favorite token finds is a Downieville, St Charles Hotel piece of history.

I imagine there are some fabulous pieces of history all around that town and area.  Water holes are great places to hunt.  Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

014.jpg

That is a great Token Jerry with everything going for it it's scalloped and from a small town and a Gold Rush town to boot and unless some lucky privy digger  or contractor working at the Hotel site got into a slew of them it's probably pretty rare as well.As you probably know rare tokens particularly from Saloons and Hotels command a premium and their value far exceeds their weight in Gold.You cannot beat Tokens for pure Historical significance.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

That is a great Token Jerry with everything going for it it's scalloped and from a small town and a Gold Rush town to boot and unless some lucky privy digger  or contractor working at the Hotel site got into a slew of them it's probably pretty rare as well.As you probably know rare tokens particularly from Saloons and Hotels command a premium and their value far exceeds their weight in Gold.You cannot beat Tokens for pure Historical significance.

Eventually I'll probably sell it but since I have yet to sell any tokens, I don't know their value.  Do you know of a site or group who specializes in early California mining memorabilia?  Thanks for the input. 

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Eventually I'll probably sell it but since I have yet to sell any tokens, I don't know their value.  Do you know of a site or group who specializes in early California mining memorabilia?  Thanks for the input. 

I would think the museum in Downieville would be the best place for that token. Not sure how much they would give you for it, but I would be willing to pitch in seeing that it belongs there.

• Like 3

You're welcome and WesD beat me on the advice Holabird for certain they feature Tokens in all of their Auctions and specialize in western and Gold Rush memorabilia.

• Like 2