Equinox - Trashy Parks - Coiltek 10" X 5" Or Minelab 6" ??

CoinShooter1

If you hunted trashy parks 99% of the time, would you prefer the Equinox 6" coil, or the Coiltek 10 x 5? 

Im currently using  the 6", and its great in my opinion.

But I also hear good things about the 10 x 5 option as well.

Additional depth is not really a concern, as the 6" is doing a great job on depth, in my opinion.

Just wondering if the Coiltek 10" x 5" would unmask equally as well as the 6", but also allow me to cover a little more ground.

Thoughts from those who have experience with both coils please....

I can’t comment on the Coiltek specifically but…. I have used the 6” on Equinox and Vanquish with 10x7.

I have used the 6” to re-grid areas that produced goodies with 11” and also to re-grid entire areas in trashy park after gridding with 11”

The 6” did squeeze out a couple more things but not a lot compared to the 11”. I also was able to find micro jewelry I feel I missed with the 11” but also felt scanning a huge are just in hopes to recover a small silver earring back or small hollow gold earring is not worth it to me.  It takes a lot of patience and time for me to use as primary.

The 10x7 on the Vanquish is likely not as deep as 11” but it feels better and should separate better and allow me to get closer to playgrounds equipment, etc. Also allows similar coverage as 11” without the patience needed with the 6”

So, what I have found is that I like using a 10x7 (and likely a 10x5) for most general hunting/primarily. If I feel it is worth it, I might still use the 6” or I might use the 11” for more depth once most of the easy stuff and some of the trash has been removed with the 10x7.  If I had the 10x5 on Equinox, I would likely not swap out much for the 11” or 6” unless I really felt there was something else there worth it to me like old coins.  I basically end up mostly using the Vanquish with 10x7 (which cost me less than just the Coiltek) and the Equinox is a specialty tool with either the 6” or 11”.  

• Like 3

I have the Equinox 800 with the 11", 15x12", and 6" coils and they all have their place, but since I got the 10x5", I haven't taken it off. I primarily hunt parks and relic sites and did some side by side comparisons with the 10x5" vs the 6" and 10x5" vs 11". The 10x5" equalled the 6" in iron and nail infested relic sites sites. It also gives coverage and depth close enough to the 11" that I don't feel the need to use the 11" in parks anymore. Also, the 10x5" excels on tot lots and has laser-like focus on targets. I feel like it (the 10x5") should have been the stock coil option for the Equinox. That's just my experience with it anyway. 

• Like 6

I've used both the 6" and the 10 x 5 Coiltek and can say for sure, the 10 x 5 has succeeded in out performing the 6" coil in my locations.   I was really worried about purchasing a smaller coil for my Equinox but my friend Jerry "aka Tinfoil" down in Louisiana calmed my fears about that size coil. 

The 10 x 5 size is nothing new but has been in use for many decades.  In fact he had tested and written a review for Troy at Troy Custom Detectors in 2003.  After talking on the phone I took his advise and bought the coil and can say I prefer it over the stock coil.  I know it may not make sense but I can't see where this coil loses any depth and the separation is better by a substantial margin over the stock coil.  

As usual Jerry was right, yet again. 

I can't see why the stock coil is needed but it will be my backup coil, just in case I start having doubts again.

• Like 5

I've never used the 6", but I've been posting for a while that the 10x5 is excellent for tot lots, parks, and even beach pillage. My "parks" are RV campgrounds that have it all, from lakefront to volleyball courts. I put the 10x5 on my Equinox a year and a half ago and have not removed it but to remind myself why I put it on there in the first place.

Why would I want to go from a 10" sweep to 6"? Maybe to shorten retrieval time, but then I'm increasing search time. 🤔 The 10x5 hits just about everything on center but large iron and aluminum.

I have found gold rings, very old coins, even small (and I mean small) gold and silver items. On the beach if I have to dig more than 10-14", I'm wasting time and not finding the recent drops which are usually more interesting and valuable than a deep clad dime.

Get the 10x5. 👍

• Like 6

When I was at Monte Berry's WTHO get-together in Nevada in June, there was one extremely experienced detectorist (hunts mostly old Western trails and stops) who started with the 5"x10" and switched to the 6" later in the day.  I asked him which performed better that day and he said the 6".  Keep in mind that this was in an extremely trashy (with iron) site.  I didn't have the 5"x10" at the time so I used the 6", to my satisfaction.

My typical hunting site is an old park or school.  My sole target interest is old coins.  I don't care about jewelry (don't throw it back if I happen to stumble onto a piece, though 😁).  Since purchase mid-summer, I've tried the 5"x10" in some of those and still prefer the 11", which is underrated in separation, IMO.  (I'm not saying the smaller coils aren't better for separation, though.)  So far it seems the 11" gives better dTID's for the deeper (6"+ in my moderately mineralized soil) coins.  I realize you asked specifically 6" vs. 5"x10"....  And in my case I'm so comfortable and experienced with the 11" that the 5"x10" has a steep hill to climb to become my favorite.

As always, the answer to your question really depends upon things the rest of us can't likely answer -- your sites (and particularly the trash density and type), your goal targets, and your detecting style.  If you can try both, that would be my suggestion.  But if you're like me with no one around to lend equipment, you'll probably end up just getting the 5"x10" and figuring it out yourself.  One thing for sure, you will get considerably more coverage for time spent with the 5"x10" than with the 6".

• Like 6

On 9/10/2022 at 2:22 PM, GB_Amateur said:

When I was at Monte Berry's WTHO get-together in Nevada in June, there was one extremely experienced detectorist (hunts mostly old Western trails and stops) who started with the 5"x10" and switched to the 6" later in the day.  I asked him which performed better that day and he said the 6".  Keep in mind that this was in an extremely trashy (with iron) site.  I didn't have the 5"x10" at the time so I used the 6", to my satisfaction.

My typical hunting site is an old park or school.  My sole target interest is old coins.  I don't care about jewelry (don't throw it back if I happen to stumble onto a piece, though 😁).  Since purchase mid-summer, I've tried the 5"x10" in some of those and still prefer the 11", which is underrated in separation, IMO.  (I'm not saying the smaller coils aren't better for separation, though.)  So far it seems the 11" gives better dTID's for the deeper (6"+ in my moderately mineralized soil) coins.  I realize you asked specifically 6" vs. 5"x10"....  And in my case I'm so comfortable and experienced with the 11" that the 5"x10" has a steep hill to climb to become my favorite.

As always, the answer to your question really depends upon things the rest of us can't likely answer -- your sites (and particularly the trash density and type), your goal targets, and your detecting style.  If you can try both, that would be my suggestion.  But if you're like me with no one around to lend equipment, you'll probably end up just getting the 5"x10" and figuring it out yourself.  One thing for sure, you will get considerably more coverage for time spent with the 5"x10" than with the 6".

Sounds like you and I hunt in similar fashion (parks = coins, jewelry).

Personally, I use the 6" coil  most of the time.

Once a site is very clean, I then switch back to the 11".

I do prefer the 6", but I have both at my disposal.

Im looking forward to finding a USED Coiltek 10 x 5 in used condition.

It may very well be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for everyones input! 

• Like 4

What part of the country are you in?

Here in central Illinois I enjoy using the 10x5 because it is close to the 11in in depth. The advantage I have with it is the fact that I can get closer to fences, and swings at the parks.

There are other reasons that I have been using the 10x5 which keeps the coil on the 800 and that is creek hunting. I just can't pass up a good creek and hoping to find a spot of gold in them.

• Like 2

I have both 5x10" and 6" coils.

In absolute terms of spread, the 6" is incredible. It manages to work its magic and make targets appear where the 5x10" and even the 11" (diagonal under iron) can't.

For day to day, the 5x10", but when looking in really infested areas, the 6", without hesitation.

Also, the 6" gives very decent depth at a low recovery speed, and has a sensitivity to gold like I haven't seen on any other all-terrain detector. Plus, it's a featherweight.

• Like 3