How Deep To Dig?

18 hours ago, argyle said:

Being a depth of sliver thread that Eklawok started, and seeing already a couple of coins that have been found by detecting have been posted up, (geez they didn't leave much room on the Liberty Dime for the full date) it would be nice to see a few more pics and explanation of type of coin, depth found and with what type of signal initially made you dig, the rarity of it ect.

I appreciate people posting still pics and videos, as on YouTube, of detecting.  The videos there I like are the ones that show the actual detecting.  Then the viewers can experience important things such as the sound, the ID on the meter, and not least I'd like to know "what were the settings on the detector?"  How deep did the object turn out to be?  Was its orientation such that it gave an unexpected signal for the type object it was?

The videos that skip all the detecting (and digging) and simply show the find might as well just be photo albums of still pics.

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I appreciate people posting still pics and videos, as on YouTube, of detecting.  The videos there I like are the ones that show the actual detecting.  Then the viewers can experience important things such as the sound, the ID on the meter, and not least I'd like to know "what were the settings on the detector?"  How deep did the object turn out to be?  Was its orientation such that it gave an unexpected signal for the type object it was?

The videos that skip all the detecting (and digging) and simply show the find might as well just be photo albums of still pics.

I don't know if my settings would help you unless you are using the same machine,

john

290.jpg

• Like 2

@auminesweeper,John,any idea what the cut half coin is ??? looks like a Eddy.

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Yeah definitely GB...

What I directly like are the YouTube clips when a guy is using a machine I've never used, but are interested in buying one.

Mainly for the Audio on the unit, even though the audio can sometimes be a bit off due the compression of files, I can still get the gist of it's sound.

And the clips where someone runs through the settings used and why, then hearing signals he's passing up on, then on to judging a signal, quickly throws in a little trick to throw off ferrous judgement, and decides it's a dig and is rewarded with a coin, are my favs.

8 hours ago, argyle said:

Yeah definitely GB...

What I directly like are the YouTube clips when a guy is using a machine I've never used, but are interested in buying one.

Mainly for the Audio on the unit, even though the audio can sometimes be a bit off due the compression of files, I can still get the gist of it's sound.

And the clips where someone runs through the settings used and why, then hearing signals he's passing up on, then on to judging a signal, quickly throws in a little trick to throw off ferrous judgement, and decides it's a dig and is rewarded with a coin, are my favs.

I like the ones where they go to dig a target and something really good, and unexpected, pops out. There is one on YouTube that a guy goes to dig a nonferrous target and a gold bar pops out. He is in total disbelief at the time and doesn't believe that it is gold. His buddy keeps telling him "no its not brass, you found gold." I think his day was shot after that...in a good way though.

Been building a deck and got done around 4 this afternoon so i headed out to one of the local parks for a little practice with the deus and to test out a program setting that was posted on the internet as a general use settings. the poster was advocating using these settings as a general rule to give the operator some consistency with the tones and readings, rather than constantly changing programs when it may not be needed for the ground conditions you you are on at the time.

the settings used were from a starting point of the basic relic program:

discrimination 5

reactivity 2

silencer 3

frequency 18

iron audio 2

volume 4

full tone

the deus was very well behaved and the tones were clear, someone with more experience than me would know if these are practical or not, but they were very manageable it seemed in and around all the trash.

IMG_3670.JPG

PKXO5385.jpg

VMAW8969.jpg

• Like 3

If only pulltabs were worth something. Nice dime though. 

thanks, now I know what mosquito farts sound like!:laugh: you did a good job on the video though, I could follow along easier than when I'm using my detector. am I right that the display on the left shows where under the coil the target is? if so , major cool. I do like the pinpointer sound too. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2016 at 3:06 PM, auminesweeper said:

290.jpg

It takes a while on this site to figure out who is who and where each resides.  With that moniker and kangaroo image, for the longest time I figured you were from Australia and from your posts I surmised possibly California.  Is it really United Kingdom?

Finding a US Silver dollar in the home county is a lifetime achievement even for a very accomplished coin hunter.  Obviously the reason isn't the signal it gives, and it isn't so much the age (although, except for some special collector non-circulating editions, the last business strike occurred in 1935).  The biggest reason is that they didn't circulate.  I know there are quite a few Nevadans who read and post on this site.  The history of the US silver dollar is intimately tied to Nevada.  If you ever get bored at bedtime, get one of Q. David Bowers's books that cover the U.S. silver dollar.  Basically the vast majority of U.S. silver dollar minting was driven by the Comstock Lode discovery and silver recovery thanks to their aggressive U.S. Senator.  The problem was that the impetus was supply-side driven.  That is, the laws passed to mint a large number of these (supply) wasn't met by an equivalent desire (demand) for them to be minted.  They were physically heavy, they represented quite a significant investment (a dollar was a lot of money in the late 1800's and early 1900's), and they had some competition from paper money.  As a result most went into bank vaults, especially U.S. Treasury and U.S. Federal Reserve vaults, unlikely to ever see the light of day.  Not surprisingly (and likely known to many of you Westerners) the primary geographical area of circulation for U.S. Silver Dollars was the U.S. West.  Even then they didn't trust banks (to keep their valuables) nor the government (i.e. those worthless paper promissory notes)!

There were significant meltings of these coins in the early 20th Century.  But many survived in mint condition in these underground storage havens.  One of the great coin collecting coups of all time occurred in the 1960's and 1970's when the mint released a lot of these hidden treasures (for, at the time, premium prices).  That was both a boon (to the wanting collectors) and bust (to those who held rare editions, only rare because of the few that were ever circulated).

But as far as silver dollars in the ground?  Yes, there are some cache/hoards still out there.  But just think about it -- if you dropped a silver dollar, how likely were you to notice when it happened?  Given its size, how likely that someone else didn't find it sitting on top of the ground?  And when you realized you just lost something on the order of or greater than a day's wage, wouldn't you retrace your steps multiple times to try and recover it?  None if this could occur if you didn't have the means to possess one of these beauties in the first place.

No, U.S. silver dollars aren't nearly as rare as U.S. gold coins.  Find one of those and you should be nominated for the metal detecting Hall of Fame.  But silver dollars are very rare finds and if you didn't celebrate when you found that one, please invite me to the party when you do.

• Like 2