Whites Spp Coil Question

ikaruz

Hi, so... i bought a secondhand whites spp, i'm still waiting for it to arrive at my house. i was looking to buy a extra coil. i have got a xp deus 2, and i'm looking for a deeper detector, the dream was minelab gpx, but too expensive...  I read some reviews of this machine, and it seemed like a good choice. i'm from europe, so almost every coil that I read were good, I just can't find them here in Europe. i have two options, or a minelab coil, or a detech coil. i was looking at the detech coils, and i found this "DETECH 18" MONOLOOP CLOSED DESIGN SEARCH COIL FOR MINELAB GPX, GP, SD SERIES GOLD DETECTORS WITH COIL COVER PROTECTOR INCLUDED", so... will this coil work great at this detector? have anyone tried it? is it stable? this coil is compatible with "This Detech 18″ Monoloop Closed Design Search Coil for is for use with Minelab GPX, GP, SD and White's TDI/TDI Pro/TDI SL Series Metal Detectors."

so... is this coil a good option? or which coil do you recomend between detech or minelab compatible with this detector?

thanks

I can't answer your exact question although someone here likely will.  However, keep in mind that most of the larger coils (larger than the TDI's 12" stock) are going to result in your detector being toe heavy and unbalanced.  You may need a bungee setup to use them for more than a short time in the field.

• Like 1

Yes, even the stock Whites 12" Dual Field feels heavy on the SPP. Plus, without doing a battery voltage upgrade which is risky, larger coils may not have much more depth than the smaller coils. Most people that own an SPP/TDI SL have reported that staying below 11 to 12" in overall diameter works best with the voltage around 12.6 volts and for weight and balance. Coiltek and Nugget Finder 14X9", any 11" round monos, Detech 15X8", 11" 11X6" and 8" coils for instance are all good choices so are Miner John Designs 12X8" and 9.5X5" if you are looking for deeper coins, hoards, etc. Also, only coils made specifically for the TDI SL/SPP like the Whites and MJD coils will fit on the Whites lower shaft easily. Coils like the ones mentioned from other manufactures will need an extra washer or some other solution since the space between the coil ears is bigger on those coils. So, a bigger coil is not necessarily better using the TDI SL/SPP.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can't answer your exact question although someone here likely will.  However, keep in mind that most of the larger coils (larger than the TDI's 12" stock) are going to result in your detector being toe heavy and unbalanced.  You may need a bungee setup to use them for more than a short time in the field.

thanks!

55 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Yes, even the stock Whites 12" Dual Field feels heavy on the SPP. Plus, without doing a battery voltage upgrade which is risky, larger coils may not have much more depth than the smaller coils. Most people that own an SPP/TDI SL have reported that staying below 11 to 12" in overall diameter works best with the voltage around 12.6 volts and for weight and balance. Coiltek and Nugget Finder 14X9", any 11" round monos, Detech 15X8", 11" 11X6" and 8" coils for instance are all good choices so are Miner John Designs 12X8" and 9.5X5" if you are looking for deeper coins, hoards, etc. Also, only coils made specifically for the TDI SL/SPP like the Whites and MJD coils will fit on the Whites lower shaft easily. Coils like the ones mentioned from other manufactures will need an extra washer or some other solution since the space between the coil ears is bigger on those coils. So, a bigger coil is not necessarily better using the TDI SL/SPP.

i think i have read something about battery, but i dont know if i can do that upgrades... miner John finder, whites, coiltek and nugget finder i did a ebay search, i didnt find anything in europe. i think the only solution for me is detech coils. but are they good? or doesnt worth for me spend more money buying a bigger coil? 

the 15x8" coil, i found this: https://detechdetect.com/coils/detech/15x8-wss-monoloop/detech-15x8-wss-monoloop-coil-for-minelab-gpx-gp-sd-series-metal-detectors?search=15X8%26quot%3B&description=true

but they dont say anything for the tdi. but this detech 15x8" will i have that issue of battery? and will go deeper? or the best way is stay with the original coil of the detector?

i want to go deeper than the xp deus ii, thats why i bought this detector, but i dont know wich coil to put in the detector

There is an Australian detectorist who has done a lot of study of coils for the TDI.  He posts here under the username 'karelian'.  Here is a link to a detailed study he did on performance (including depth) of various coils.  I'm linking the first of two parts -- that second part is further down (next page) of the linked thread.  The first part covers small coils; the second part large(r) coils:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/coiltek-6-mono-tdi-coil-first-impressions-small-coil-comparisons.21209/

14 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

There is an Australian detectorist who has done a lot of study of coils for the TDI.  He posts here under the username 'karelian'.  Here is a link to a detailed study he did on performance (including depth) of various coils.  I'm linking the first of two parts -- that second part is further down (next page) of the linked thread.  The first part covers small coils; the second part large(r) coils:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/coiltek-6-mono-tdi-coil-first-impressions-small-coil-comparisons.21209/

thanks, i will check that!

8 hours ago, ikaruz said:

i think i have read something about battery, but i dont know if i can do that upgrades... miner John finder, whites, coiltek and nugget finder i did a ebay search, i didnt find anything in europe. i think the only solution for me is detech coils. but are they good? or doesnt worth for me spend more money buying a bigger coil? 

the 15x8" coil, i found this: https://detechdetect.com/coils/detech/15x8-wss-monoloop/detech-15x8-wss-monoloop-coil-for-minelab-gpx-gp-sd-series-metal-detectors?search=15X8%26quot%3B&description=true

but they dont say anything for the tdi. but this detech 15x8" will i have that issue of battery? and will go deeper? or the best way is stay with the original coil of the detector?

i want to go deeper than the xp deus ii, thats why i bought this detector, but i dont know wich coil to put in the detector

You won’t really know about overall depth with your SPP until you get to run some in the ground tests. Detech makes very good coils and they will work well with the TDI and they are fully waterproof. Personally I would consider the 15x8 to be the largest I would use where I detect. 

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You won’t really know about overall depth with your SPP until you get to run some in the ground tests. Detect makes very good coils and the will work well with the TDI and they are fully waterproof. Personally I would consider the 15x8 to be the largest I would use where I detect. 

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, so the detector finaly arrived today. i dissassembled it, at the board it say "GMT super pulse", what i read in several forums is that this detector has a whites tdi sl motherboard, so my question is, this gmt super pulse motherboard is the same of a tdi sl? what the differences of tdi sl and gmt super pulse? thanks

20220923_220507.jpg

20220923_220528.jpg

20220923_220542.jpg