So The Beach Hunts Start Again

10 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Major withdrawal from the sand bank today,,,,film at 11🥸

Can't wait!!!

Nice digging School, always love to see a fellow 5000 swinger doing what we do. May those heartbreakers turn solid soon i know you are earning it. 😁 ht

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Can't wait!!!

Not me , I meant you !  Every time the beach sees you coming , all the sand ducks ! 🥴

I have been working on a nice permission though. Hope to get it before everything freezes again.😲 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I wandered over to an area that was good to me before and far enough away from the others to not get the old stink eye.

I would think they wouldn't mess with a guy carrying a bazooka compared to their standard issue single bolt actions.  :biggrin:

I did manage to get two (well almost 2) Buffalo nickels. The beach can wear down coins to be much smaller than they were when minted.

From the looks of those two in the photo (can you provide a closeup?), it sure appears there's a possibility that it's a "wrong metal" mint error Buffalo nickel struck on a cent planchet.  (Those are reasonably valuable, BTW.  ~$100 or more.)  Running it under a detector with dTID readout would quickly confirm/deny that possibility, I think.  I realize you're experienced so maybe you've seen this happen (many times) before.  I assume the thickness is eaten down to ancient 'hammered coin' dimension if it's due to the salt water....  (That doesn't show up on the photo that I can tell.)

Always look forward to seeing your bazooka finds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Nice digging School, always love to see a fellow 5000 swinger doing what we do. May those heartbreakers turn solid soon i know you are earning it. 😁 ht

Thanks. I can't imagine detecting a beach without the 5000 being my primary machine. The only time I pull a VLF/ MF out is if the coins are well within reach. I even use the GPX for cellar hole hunting.

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Not me , I meant you !  Every time the beach sees you coming , all the sand ducks ! 🥴

I have been working on a nice permission though. Hope to get it before everything freezes again.😲 

Oh man, And I thought your area opened up for you. I was about to head up and follow you in. 😄 The only thing that cowers to me is the trash 🙄 The beach is like " come on in and clean us for free🥰"

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

I would think they wouldn't mess with a guy carrying a bazooka compared to their standard issue single bolt actions.  :biggrin:

From the looks of those two in the photo (can you provide a closeup?), it sure looks like there's a possibility that it's a "wrong metal" mint error Buffalo nickel struck on a cent planchet.  (Those are reasonably valuable, BTW.  ~$100 or more.)  Running it under a detector with dTID readout would quickly confirm/deny that possibility, I think.  I realize you're experienced so maybe you've seen this happen (many times) before.  I assume the thickness is eaten down to ancient 'hammered coin' dimension if it's due to the salt water....  (That doesn't show up on the photo that I can tell.)

Always look forward to seeing your bazooka finds.

Those other guys think I'm weird. 😳 They always see me hunting the dumbest places and wonder if I'm new to detecting. Only once did they come over and see me dig deep. They are more interested in low slope hunting which is awesome if you are the first one there. But 7 guys hunting the same small section had me shaking my head.

Unfortunately the buffalo is not stuck on a different planchet. ☹️ But at least it was big enough for me to ID it, unlike some copper coins I find. The clad quarter I found shows how bad the constant tumbling and numerous chemical reactions can be. Dissolved to nothingness after a while.

• Like 5

Ha, another monster truck collector! 😀

Seriously great hunt. That's a lot of digging! Are any of the silver rings marked "sterling"?

Shame some detectorists think they "own" the beach, or areas of it. Never bothers me that someone is nearby, just makes me work harder 😁

Thanks. I can't imagine detecting a beach without the 5000 being my primary machine. The only time I pull a VLF/ MF out is if the coins are well within reach. I even use the GPX for cellar hole hunting.

Those other guys think I'm weird. 😳 They always see me hunting the dumbest places and wonder if I'm new to detecting.

Embrace the weird, it's working for you and it keeps other detectorists at bay while you clean up! 😉 Well done! 

• Like 1

sohN

New ranger at my beach and never returned my call about renewing my pass this year, got in 2 trips there but just junk before Memorial day.......spending more time with mom since covid shut down and moved 4 times since June , not much detecting time lately but now.......

That permission I'm after is the local fairgrounds , been in operation for a LONG time. It's even older than me !

Harness racing , carnival rides , livestock exhibitions , girlie shows  , car shows and demolition derbies !  Maybe I can actually post a respectable haul before the Nox warranty expires 🤔

And yes , a camper area , I just moved in for the rest of the month !

I wake up before sunrise and will just have to step outside and hit the on button !

..and there's lots of sand here so it's kinda like the beach..

Stay tuned for further developments.👽

• Like 3

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Ha, another monster truck collector! 😀

Seriously great hunt. That's a lot of digging! Are any of the silver rings marked "sterling"?

Shame some detectorists think they "own" the beach, or areas of it. Never bothers me that someone is nearby, just makes me work harder 😁

That truck was DEEEEEP. I couldn't believe it was new and that deep. All the rings are 925's, so pretty fresh drops I would think, especially with 3 of them within a couple feet of each other. It's tough competition on this beach, so everyone hunts fast 😄 I saw a couple of coils swung a bit too high too. Fun in the sun 😎

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Embrace the weird, it's working for you and it keeps other detectorists at bay while you clean up! 😉 Well done! 

I love being the weird guy 😄 By the time I'm done my hair is a mess and my eyes are red from the wind and my pouches surround me, and then there's that big battery thing and curly cord hanging from that vest....... Yep it's a sight for sure. 😜

4 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

sohN

New ranger at my beach and never returned my call about renewing my pass this year, got in 2 trips there but just junk before Memorial day.......spending more time with mom since covid shut down and moved 4 times since June , not much detecting time lately but now.......

That permission I'm after is the local fairgrounds , been in operation for a LONG time. It's even older than me !

Harness racing , carnival rides , livestock exhibitions , girlie shows  , car shows and demolition derbies !  Maybe I can actually post a respectable haul before the Nox warranty expires 🤔

And yes , a camper area , I just moved in for the rest of the month !

I wake up before sunrise and will just have to step outside and hit the on button !

..and there's lots of sand here so it's kinda like the beach..

Stay tuned for further developments.👽

I can't wait to hear about those hunts. There has got to be some good old silver and gold there. Hopefully not hunted hard before. Wish you luck!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

That truck was DEEEEEP

Last one I dug was about a foot down. Guess the kid took the excavator toy with him. 🤔 What is it with deep buried monster trucks? Dug 2 so far in the past month.

10 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

By the time I'm done my hair is a mess

You have HAIR? Sorry couldn't resist. 🤣 Don't think any detectorist I've met lately had any... 😁

• Like 1