So The Beach Hunts Start Again

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Another epic hunt, SoHN, congrats on the silver and gold! 😎

Thanks. Felt good seeing some gold in the picture. I may hit the water next time for a bit.

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow, everything but the... Um... Oar!

😀 Terrific and well done. 👍 Incredibly cool jewelry! 

Thanks. I hate when they hide the oar from me 😄 The jewelry was cool. I can only imagine what the local guys found when that area first appeared. I heard some incredible stories. At least 20 gold rings come out of that small area and I watched a guy find a huge gold class ring that day. Right place at the right time.

• Like 2

So, there was one coin from this last hunt which I could not ID. It's in one of the pictures, but I forgot to put a "?" mark underneath it. It was grainy, silver looking and had some small areas of surface rust on it. I figured I'd get rid of the rust spots and see if I could make out what it is. So I threw it in some Oxalic acid and hoped I might see some details and ID it as a silver dime. I forgot about it and just pulled and rinsed it now. Not a dime at all, but my first steel cent found at a beach. I never thought to check it on a magnet when I found it, but it sticks like glue. That acid etched out enough to make out Abe. Never know what you will find.

20221008_201304.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

So, there was one coin from this last hunt which I could not ID. It's in one of the pictures, but I forgot to put a "?" mark underneath it. It was grainy, silver looking and had some small areas of surface rust on it. I figured I'd get rid of the rust spots and see if I could make out what it is. So I threw it in some Oxalic acid and hoped I might see some details and ID it as a silver dime. I forgot about it and just pulled and rinsed it now. Not a dime at all, but my first steel cent found at a beach. I never thought to check it on a magnet when I found it, but it sticks like glue. That acid etched out enough to make out Abe. Never know what you will find.

20221008_201304.jpg

Well you don't need a date because it's a 1943. If it was copper it would be worth a lot. 👍 As a curiosity it's still worth a lot. Cool! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Well you don't need a date because it's a 1943. If it was copper it would be worth a lot. 👍 As a curiosity it's still worth a lot. Cool! 

I think it said 1944 😆 I wish.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Another odd find was a spoon, which is usually silver plate over a brass base. This spoon showed no signs of being plated, so I thought I had silver. But the back reads Fuller A1. Plate, as best I can tell. There is no sign showing through the  base metal on any of the edges or anywhere in any of the dings around the spoon. This is a well-used, thin spoon with a lot of ocean tumbling showing. I’m wondering if the base metal is a combination of copper, zinc, nickel, which would a be silver colored blend called German silver.

Had to Wikipedia 'German silver" which made me realize I know it from another name -- nickel silver.  Funny story which I may have told here before.  About a dozen years ago in an antique shop I saw some cream and sugar pitchers with that marking.  Thinking they contained silver I did some arithmetic in my head and concluded the bullion value was likely more than the asking price ($90 etched permanently in my memory) so I stealthily took them up to the counter and paid without revealing my 'find'.  After (proudly) driving home and looking up 'nickel silver' to calculate my 'winnings' I was deflated to learn it contains no silver.  Surprisingly to this day is that not only does it have a good white color, like silver, but it even tarnishes to the same color as silver.  (I say that, but now I wonder if these are silver plated....)  I don't know what the salt water does to it, but maybe your discovery answers that.

On 10/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

...My first steel cent found at a beach. I never thought to check it on a magnet when I found it, but it sticks like glue. That acid etched out enough to make out Abe. Never know what you will find.

Is that a '1944' date I see peaking out of the photo??  😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Had to Wikipedia 'German silver" which made me realize I know it from another name -- nickel silver.  Funny story which I may have told here before.  About a dozen years ago in an antique shop I saw some cream and sugar pitchers with that marking.  Thinking they contained silver I did some arithmetic in my head and concluded the bullion value was likely more than the asking price ($90 etched permanently in my memory) so I stealthily took them up to the counter and paid without revealing my 'find'.  After (proudly) driving home and looking up 'nickel silver' to calculate my 'winnings' I was deflated to learn it contains no silver.  Surprisingly to this day is that not only does it have a good white color, like silver, but it even tarnishes to the same color as silver.  (I say that, but now I wonder if these are silver plated....)  I don't know what the salt water does to it, but maybe your discovery answers that.

Is that a '1944' date I see peaking out of the photo??  😎

Marketing, no matter where it is, kills ya. 😄 We though detector companies fool us with their trickery. Lucky you didn't buy every German silver piece in the store 😬 Definitely a 1944 Steel cent 😆. I just saw on on Flea Bay selling for over 200k. If only you could actually find one of those in change 🙄

• Haha 2

Beach hunt #6 was a follow up hunt at the same beach. Started off using the GPX on the upper beach and soon found an area that I knew would trouble everyone’s machines (including mine). It’s right up against a rebar reinforced concrete wall. You can’t get within 2 feet of it without the iron in the wall sounding off. But there are ways to go around that if you are willing to put up with excessive noise. I wanted to see if I could squeak out low conductors. It worked and I found a huge number of nickels, including 2 Buffalo, but no gold. As the tides got lower, I wanted to switch machines and test the Equinox out in that same patch that was producing silver and gold for everyone. It is very hard digging with the packed sand and rocks, and I soon gave up using a scoop, since it would barely go 1” into the sand. Went back to the car and got my trusty shovel and abandoned the idea of hunting deeper into the waves. So, I followed the tide down as the others arrived (I love being first) 😊 One guy got a 14k earring, but it took me a long time before I struck gold. Finally, after struggling with a collapsing hole filling with water, I got it out. A nice 10K man’s initial ring. I was happy to join the crew in finding a gold ring in that area. After a while, a Mercury dime showed up along with more silver jewelry. Always nice to have a good hunt and to get some exercise at the same time! Looking forward to the next hunt already. Who says this hobby is addictive? 😄

20221012_132026.jpg

20221012_134649.jpg

20221012_133133.jpg

20221012_133232.jpg

• Like 8

Great hunt man, congrats on the gold, and about the silver bracelet you found on your last hunt 950 means platinum most of the time from what i know, you might ask a jeweler. 👍 😃

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Great hunt man, congrats on the gold, and about the silver bracelet you found on your last hunt 950 means platinum most of the time from what i know, you might ask a jeweler. 👍 😃

Thanks, it does but usually has PT950 or Plat written on it. If it is platinum, then the quality of the stones probably goes up as well. When I Googled it, 950 came up as a higher Sterling grade. It is well made as opposed to the junk they sell these days as jewelry. It's hidden so the wife doesn't borrow it 😊

• Like 1