So The Beach Hunts Start Again

9 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I'm not crazy about taking this phone on the beach  though. Before, if I killed the phone no big deal, this one would hurt if I had to replace it. Sand get in the smallest cracks

I know the feeling. While fairly waterproof, my Samsung does get a bit sandy especially if I keep it in the "tech pocket" instead of the one with the flap. It's directly below the mesh bottom bags I use. 🤬 Stopped the back pocket carry after I broke my last one.

I don't know how much gear you strap, but here's a cheap solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WDVF9FK

Pretty highly rated, and you get 2. Holds more than just your phone. Used it on my last water hunt, it's heavy duty, 3 seals and works well. You could also use a Ziploc but you can dunk this one with confidence 😀

• Like 2

On 10/22/2022 at 8:05 PM, GB_Amateur said:

Was that the inspiration for Jerry Reed's song?

I believe it was.... I'm old enough 😄

On 10/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, strick said:

Nox you are correct the ctx will suffer in the black sand while the 800 does better I was just razzing you a bit...I mostly use the Nox in the black sand beaches here in N Calif for that reason and leave the ctx for park/relic hunts....keep it up your a steward of our hobby for sure. 

Strick

Yep, the CTX is great on land but not that black sand. Even the Nox struggles in some areas. I only use the Nox if conditions just changed and things are shallow or are not in the black sand area. You can't beat the discrimination  when you are the first one in a newly unsanded area. But when the beach gets sparse, the pulse comes out.

On 10/23/2022 at 4:16 AM, F350Platinum said:

I know the feeling. While fairly waterproof, my Samsung does get a bit sandy especially if I keep it in the "tech pocket" instead of the one with the flap. It's directly below the mesh bottom bags I use. 🤬 Stopped the back pocket carry after I broke my last one.

I don't know how much gear you strap, but here's a cheap solution:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07WDVF9FK

Pretty highly rated, and you get 2. Holds more than just your phone. Used it on my last water hunt, it's heavy duty, 3 seals and works well. You could also use a Ziploc but you can dunk this one with confidence 😀

Yep, Mines  a Samsung but it folds, so the sand gets in the fold section. I carry a lot of gear on my belt so I just keep it in my back pocket. It had a otter case, so it's protected from sand other than the fold. I try and not pull it out, but keep it on for emergencies at home. I leave it in the car if I'm feeling like getting wet  😊

• Like 1

Beach hunt #8 was a return to the beach that spanked me good. 🙄  It’s a good beach and I didn’t want to leave it on a bad note, so I decided to head back there. I started on the grass section with the GPX to hunt high conductors, but the anti- interference coil would low tone on one sweep and high tone on the return sweep. Not really sure what that is about, but I will try a regular DD coil next time. Hunting low conductors (I dug a few) was futile, since it has been cherry picked for high conductors and there are a zillion pull tabs there. At least 2 or 3 targets per swing.  So, I abandoned that and headed for the sand. I wandered a bit in the direction I wanted to go to for the day, and finally decided to try what I did previously – hit the concrete wall section. I picked a new concrete section and started hitting copper cents. This is clad territory, so I was going to basically hunt clad for the day. My hope was to find some gold, but I was willing to settle for zinc. 😆 Turned out ok and I did score some silver, so it was worth the drive. Still decent weather and a good workout as usual.  Next visit will probably be at another beach, so I’m expecting lot more trash as I get used to that beach. Still, fun in the sun!!!

20221025_100530.jpg

20221025_101402.jpg

20221025_101414.jpg

• Like 6

Well done again.  I never find any silver coins in our wet sand areas.  I would think when we have some waves bring old stuff up the slope it would be more than clad but years of experience says no.  Our beaches have added 30-40-50 feet of sand over the last few years and even more over the last 50+. 

Every time I see your posts it makes me want to get my 5000 out on the beach again.  I have a Coiltek waterproof coil for it and right now the beaches don't have many shallow targets.  I'll have to get my big scoop out also.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Well done again.  I never find any silver coins in our wet sand areas.  I would think when we have some waves bring old stuff up the slope it would be more than clad but years of experience says no.  Our beaches have added 30-40-50 feet of sand over the last few years and even more over the last 50+. 

Every time I see your posts it makes me want to get my 5000 out on the beach again.  I have a Coiltek waterproof coil for it and right now the beaches don't have many shallow targets.  I'll have to get my big scoop out also.

Thanks. Our beaches are very different. Ours are eroding away, with sand being dumped back on occasion. "Sanded in", means sanded in only until the next storm or weird full moon. Some areas you are just inches from clay. On other more protected beaches there is more than enough sand 😄

I hope you do get the 5000 out and try for some deep stuff. What have you got to lose? 😉 Would love to see a hunt from your location with a 5000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice haul again, sohN, and congrats on the silver! The odd items are always cool to find. It looks like you have a WWI or WWII era toy cannon and a key roach clip! 😁

• Like 2

Great stuff as always. I don't know of many that ever find a pair of earrings, never mind the metal content. 😀 My wife says I can't find any more unless they are in pairs. 🤣

Of late we've had an influx of questions about what detector folks need to get to dig the least trash. I think we need only point them to your posts. 👍 Honestly, if you want everything you need to dig everything.

Maybe our sand is migrating west? 🤔

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Nice haul again, sohN, and congrats on the silver! The odd items are always cool to find. It looks like you have a WWI or WWII era toy cannon and a key roach clip! 😁

😄 Yep, that is a fancy key. Never ceases to amaze me the weird items we can find beach hunting.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great stuff as always. I don't know of many that ever find a pair of earrings, never mind the metal content. 😀 My wife says I can't find any more unless they are in pairs. 🤣

Of late we've had an influx of questions about what detector folks need to get to dig the least trash. I think we need only point them to your posts. 👍 Honestly, if you want everything you need to dig everything.

Maybe our sand is migrating west? 🤔

It's odd, I've found more pairs of earrings lately than in years of hunting. They are always about 10-20 feet apart. Maybe a quick towel whip before they figured out their jewelry was in that towel 😲. No offense to our western partners, but if they want our sand, who are we to fight them over it. They can have it.🤭

• Haha 4

Beach hunt #9 was at a beach I have tried 3 or 4 times before. It’s an older beach, so there should be deep silver and wheats down there somewhere. I did 4 ½ hours with the Nox and was rewarded (heavily) with every possible size aluminum, that read almost every possible target ID. 🤬 I remember not liking this beach, but now I know why. I then moved on to my favorite beach which was close by and switched to the GPX. Tides were lower, so I hit a couple of areas of interest and scored a couple junk rings by the waves. But that is not area I went there for, so I headed for the concrete walls again. This time I swapped coils from the 14” to the 12.5”. That’s the smallest coil I had with me. I slowed way down and started to pluck targets and luckily, almost all trash was gone. The ratio of copper cents to zincs was great. There were no zincs at that spot. All the zincs came from the lower beach. At the wall it was all copper Memorials with only 3 wheats. This is the clad territory I had been hitting previously. It gave me one silver coin last time out, but this time it handed me 5. The thin silver chain was a bonus find that I discovered when I was sorting my trash. There were so many wire-like junk targets that I didn’t realize I has a chain. I just threw it in the trash pouch. I may head back there for a full hunt next time and if it doesn’t go well, there are other beaches I can get to rather quickly. Weather was still very mild and just happy to get out detecting! Always happy to do my part cleaning these beaches of trash..... except that first beach.....they can keep their trash 😄

20221029_191301.jpg

20221029_191754.jpg

20221029_192704.jpg

20221029_193304.jpg

20221029_193312.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 10:26 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

I hope you do get the 5000 out and try for some deep stuff. What have you got to lose? 😉 Would love to see a hunt from your location with a 5000.

I got out yesterday for a couple of hours at low tide.  I ran it in sharp as you suggested with 11 being the best level.  It was a beginning pleasure to hear the old signals again and look at all the controls but by the end of the session I remembered why I had given it up for VLFs on our beaches!

I did find one cheap ring at a beach I hunt often.  I had found the other 'ring' near the water line.  The Coiltek did really well near the low tide waters.  The threshold was steadier than my 800 or my Z.  I used my harness and hip stick so it was weightless.

After a bit of time, I realized I was more concerned about the detector than the beach.  I didn't have enough time to grid some of my old areas but wave energy is so low now I don't think it would have made much difference.

I'll have to say that this 5000 battery is remarkable.  It is the original from 2010 and it charged and lasted the entire session without a blip.  The 5000 itself seems in good shape.  It got exposed to night beach hunts way back in 2010-2012 and it seems ok.  I'll have to get it out into the desert again.

IMG_20221029_192017_170[1].jpg

IMG_20221029_192035_506[1].jpg

• Like 5