So The Beach Hunts Start Again

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I got out yesterday for a couple of hours at low tide.  I ran it in sharp as you suggested with 11 being the best level.  It was a beginning pleasure to hear the old signals again and look at all the controls but by the end of the session I remembered why I had given it up for VLFs on our beaches!

I did find one cheap ring at a beach I hunt often.  I had found the other 'ring' near the water line.  The Coiltek did really well near the low tide waters.  The threshold was steadier than my 800 or my Z.  I used my harness and hip stick so it was weightless.

After a bit of time, I realized I was more concerned about the detector than the beach.  I didn't have enough time to grid some of my old areas but wave energy is so low now I don't think it would have made much difference.

I'll have to say that this 5000 battery is remarkable.  It is the original from 2010 and it charged and lasted the entire session without a blip.  The 5000 itself seems in good shape.  It got exposed to night beach hunts way back in 2010-2012 and it seems ok.  I'll have to get it out into the desert again.

IMG_20221029_192017_170[1].jpg

IMG_20221029_192035_506[1].jpg

Well, that was not bad for a beach that lacks targets. If those rings were gold, you would be out there again today 😄 I like the pulse units because they can bang out coins without hesitation. With VLF's it's a guessing game depending on the black sand content. I think you did well for hunted beaches. Not sure if you had a chance to do dry sand, but that can be productive as well. I usually put a big zip lock baggie on my machine so I can set it down on the wet slope and not worry about wet sand touching the bottom of the machine. Yep, the battery for the GPX is amazing. It will outlast most people when fully charged. The only time it ran out for me was when I didn't fully charge it.  Nice to see a hunt from your side of the planet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 6:06 AM, schoolofhardNox said:

Well, that was not bad for a beach that lacks targets.

I don't want to give the impression that the beaches I detect lack targets.  At times they are loaded with targets.  It depends on the wave energy.  This is a hunt from last night on the same beaches with my 800/15.

I noticed the difference in the way I had to handle the scoop.  The 5000 is a bit more sensitive to it from a greater distance but the 15 was picking up things in the very wet sand too but you really have to listen carefully.  That is how I found the stainless-steel high school (United Township High, Illinois) class ring.  It had rust on it and was down in the wave wash about 7 inches or so.  The 5000 would probably have been less chatty.

IMG_20221031_092447_783[1].jpg

IMG_20221031_075648_360[1].jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

...Stainless-steel high school (United Township High, Illinois) class ring.

They're making class rings from SS?  Say it ain't so!  What is this world coming to?  😢  Are their yearbooks now printed on crepe paper?  (And please don't tell me they're only available online now.) 

Was there a year date on the ring?

The outside said 98!

I think there has been a SS choice for many years.

• Like 1

Beach hunt #10 was at the same beach I visited last time. I wanted to continue hunting the walls with the GPX, but with a smaller coil. I grabbed the Minelab 10x5” DD elliptical coil for the job. I met a buddy there and we compared signals with the Nox 600 and the GPX for a bit. I did well there considering I already pulled a lot of copper cents and 1 silver from there. The wall is about 50 feet long, so not a big area to re-hunt. Started finding some copper cents and some old spoons and 2 silvers, so I was already happy. When my friend left I hunkered down and very slowly hunted it again, trying various settings and ideas. It’s difficult since there is a lot of rebar in the wall, and you can actually see the ends stick out of the concrete a bit. The smaller coil definitely helped to find the rest of the silver, including a surprise half dollar. Also found a silver chain that was seized up with a trace amounts of iron rust holding it together. The zincs were found trying to find another similar area to hunt, but to no avail. So, I decided to hit the grass and do some high conductor hunting. I only had an hour of daylight remaining, and I wanted to see if I could find at least one silver left there. It took me a while to get accustomed to grass hunting with the pulse again, but I could not locate any silver. I may try to end the day there from time to time, just to see what’s left. A great day on the beach weather wise and more silver for the pile.

20221106_183252.jpg

20221106_184028.jpg

20221106_184128.jpg

• Like 8

Good one! You must have quite the pile of silver. 😀 That walker half certainly adds a bit.

Almost thought you were using a 600 with a 10x5 🤣 I'm sure there was no comparison to the GPX.

Is the balled up piece a chain?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Good one! You must have quite the pile of silver. 😀 That walker half certainly adds a bit.

Almost thought you were using a 600 with a 10x5 🤣 I'm sure there was no comparison to the GPX.

Is the balled up piece a chain?

Naw, the 600 was my buddies. He could hear bits of what sounded like falsing on the targets I showed him. I only called him over if there was a chance he may get a blip from his machine. On the deeper targets I know from my 800,  I (and he) would not hear anything. This beach has produced 30 silver halves in the past couple of years for me. Others have found a lot as well. But they only come out when there is beach erosion or storm surges. Yup, that's a balled up silver chain.

• Like 2

Forget the coins! I like another fine "Trash Art" composition! I think a gallery might be willing to do an exhibition of your work!! You have enough of them now to constitute a collection!!🍀👍👍

20221106_202946.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Beach hunt #11 was at the same beach again, since I couldn’t think of another beach I wanted to take a chance on. I figured I’d try the walls again and maybe finish the day doing the grass section. I wasn’t expecting too much to be found by the wall, but I had a plan and figured I’d give it a shot. The ideas always sound better when you are at home thinking them out, but in reality they usually produce less than you thought. 😄 The wall I have been hitting did produce a couple more copper cents and one silver dime, so I moved to another section where I have found some silver in the past. This hunt was split using the small oval Commander DD coil from Minelab and the 12.5” coil from Detech.  It was the Detech that pulled the rest of the silvers shown, as well as a lot of copper cents. But I must Minelab’s small oval coil did very well depth wise and was a pleasure to swing weight wise. I spent a bit of time clearing some big iron and nails to find the co-located targets that might be found. Probably 5 or 6 coins were in the same hole with iron, so I guess if you don’t mind digging, it pays off. In one small area, all coins come out brown, whether it be clad or silver. I thought I was just digging another clad dime, but it was a Mercury. Happy days.  😊Weather was absolutely beautiful, and I got my detecting fix for the week.

20221111_143931.jpg

20221111_144635.jpg

20221111_144739.jpg

• Like 4