So The Beach Hunts Start Again

11 hours ago, Calmark said:

Nice haul on hunt #13 and great you got to meet up with a fellow member.  He led you to a great spot with coins and jewelry with good age.  Way to go!

Thanks. It was very nice of him to share his spot with me. It's always fun when you figure out there is stuff deep that is missed. It usually leads to silver and hopefully gold. What got me the most was the number of rings (silver and junk) that impressed me. It's unusual for me to get that many rings in one hunt.

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Great finds and it looks like a much lower trash to treasure ratio than usual. Congrats on the silver and gold, well done!

Thanks. This spot gets hit by others when it's available, so the shallow finds are gone.  Also, it's kind of rough on VLF/Multi Frequency machines. Hard to get any depth because of the rocks and sand composition. EMI is about normal, maybe a bit higher than usual.

• Like 2

Heckuva haul! Nice that someone invited you to their digs, I've been hoping someone will bring along a PI to some of mine 🙄

From a '42 Walker half, to 10k. 👍 Ya got it all!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Heckuva haul! Nice that someone invited you to their digs, I've been hoping someone will bring along a PI to some of mine 🙄

From a '42 Walker half, to 10k. 👍 Ya got it all!

Thank You. I'm going back for round II soon. It's not often you get to go back to the spot after a first hunt like that. 😄 He's a nice guy and isn't worried about what I find. He did excellent on the last hunt as well. If you can move VA  up to CT or closer, I'll let you try the 5000. 😊

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, great stuff. 👍 And the gold substitute is a 400ish year old earring!

Is it copper, shell, stone? To my untrained eye it almost looks like Tombac 😀

The other question is whether it was worn by a man or a woman, it seems the men adorned themselves as much.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:27 PM, F350Platinum said:

As usual, great stuff. 👍 And the gold substitute is a 400ish year old earring!

Is it copper, shell, stone? To my untrained eye it almost looks like Tombac 😀

The other question is whether it was worn by a man or a woman, it seems the men adorned themselves as much.

Thanks. The earring is most likely brass. The soil makes it look different, kind of like stone.  I'm assuming it could be worn by either. Kind of fun going from beach hunting one day to relic hunting the next day.

• Like 1

Here is a man who can appreciate the story!

• Like 1

Beach hunt # 15 wasn’t a beach hunt after all.  🙄 I had a chance to do some metal detecting with archaeologists in an area that was assumed to have a War of 1812 fort on it. We wanted to determine if it actually was the fort and not some other type of structure. It was the second day of the project and the first day didn’t produce much. In my mind I assumed this place would have been hunted by other detectorists all through the years. It’s on old maps and even has a marker describing the fort. I really didn’t have much faith that we would get a lot of targets. We are looking for larger caliber round ball and of course military buttons. I ran the GPX and very quickly found out how quiet this site was. A little disappointed, but I decided to slow down and grid a small area. 22 casings and slugs were plentiful as were shot gun shells. Not a lot of modern trash though. The gridding paid off and I finally found a tiny round ball at about 7”, barely a squeak.  Probably around a 30-caliber ball, nice sprue, and casting line. That made me stop and wonder if the targets were just real deep and maybe the place wasn’t completely hunted out. It took me over an hour to find that one good target, but I knew what we are really looking for is large caliber round ball. Slowly, the large ball and medium ball started to show up. I was very relieved. ☺️ Then it happened….. I hit a hot spot and out popped 3 large and 6 medium ball, all within 20 square feet. I ended up with 18 or 19 total ball for the day. No military buttons, but that’s ok. Pictured are just a couple of the large round ball and the hot spot area I flagged. Not a beach hunt, but a great day relic hunting. Get out there while you can, as snow is starting to hit my neck of the woods.

20221208_115232.jpg

20221208_150200.jpg

20221208_144041.jpg

20221208_124847.jpg

20221210_182321.jpg

• Like 9