So The Beach Hunts Start Again

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

ย  ย Beach hunt #20! Left the Manticore in the car! No need for it today, as there was a carpet of silver coins across the beach, with gold jewelry in between, laying on the surface....

๐Ÿ˜ด๐Ÿ˜– I'm awake; I'm awake dear!!

A little treasure dreaming never hurts!! Better luck on #20!๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

NOoooooo.............. That's exactly the kind of pre-hunt thinking that got me into trouble in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜„ Next hunt will be worse than this hunt. It will rain molten aluminum and iron will jump from the sea. There ๐Ÿ˜Šย  Set the bar low and you won't fail. ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 hour ago, strick said:

Well you want to talk Idiot...heres one for you....several years back I was all gun ho to detect after driving 2.5 hours to the beach so I hit the ground running...signals were everywhere...darn ground noise from the recent erosion/black sand I figured so I turned the sensitivity down and re ground balanced.....the machine was still falsing a lot. It was then that I noticed it was every other time I took a step and finally realized that the new rubber boots I had recently bought had steel toesย ๐Ÿ˜„

strickย 

Huh ...... ๐Ÿ˜ž. I've done that too. ๐Ÿ˜„ But in my defense, the guy at the store swore to me that they use hard plastic inside the boots for their durability. ๐Ÿค” Never did buy anything from that store again. Next time the pinpointer comes with me.

56 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Would you please explain.ย  I'm trying to figure out how that would be worth the effort.ย  Is the toy truck too far gone to figure its manufacturer & origin?ย  I'm always curious if people find the original Matchbox vehicles (marked "made in England by Lesney").ย  I don't remember ever finding one.

Good on you to admit your faux pas.ย  I've done that before (multiple times) although not to the extreme result you suffered.ย  But that's because my sites aren't so sensitive to the Eqx 800 settings (i.e. no saltwater beaches, etc.)

I scrap electronics for fun ๐Ÿ˜„ I can smash that puppy and extract the board in less than a minute. Seriously, I recycle metals and electronics for their components. There are buyers for boards and I just collect them until I get a lot.

I was a bit shocked that the modes differed enough to cause the land version to be noticeably different from the beach version. It's not that it was unusable by any means, but more that it did change it enough for me to notice the difference it was giving me towards iron. I just found it to make the iron iffy enough for me to dig it. I was way more confident in beach mode with the iron. Who knows, maybe just a fluke. I won't be able to test it again for a couple of weeks. I want to hit the grass and try for some more silver from the fields, next trip out.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Beach hunt # 20 was at the beach that I just recently started to do well at. I had some friendly competition from a couple of guys from the area, that are very good detectorists. They filled me in on some of the finds that have come from that beach. Itโ€™s an older beach that has the potential to find older, silver coins. The tide was near record low (-0.8), and I was eager to give the Manticore a try on wet sand. Usually, you would use a scoop to dig, but not here. Really big rocks and smaller rocks below them. I opted for my trusty spade, but even with that, each hole takes a while to pry open. The water filling up every hole didnโ€™t help either.ย ๐Ÿ™„ย  Since it wasnโ€™t low tide just yet, I worked some of the less saturated, upper sand. Not a lot of signals but some zincs and junk. I almost gave in and pulled the GPX out but decided to give the Manticore some more time. Once I got into the really saturated sand, high conductive numbers started to show up. Most were copper pennies, but I was surprised that targets were every few feet. At first I didnโ€™t trust the numbers because I was worried it was iron. There is a lot of iron at this beach. But they were real numbers and a couple of times there were 2 or 3 copper cents in one hole. Finally I hit a silver Mercury dime, and soon after a really clean Seated dime โ€“ 1875 CC (Carson City mint). ๐Ÿฅฐ That made my day. I also found 3 Indians (one shot up), which I didnโ€™t realize I had until I got home. The only piece of jewelry found was a silver ring. Ship spike were a cool find as well. A great day out and Iโ€™m glad that I only did 5 hours โ€“ I donโ€™t think I could do more in that type of digging. I must say, so far I am very impressed with the Manticoreโ€™s ability to find deeper conductive targets. Next low tide I will be back in that same spot with some new ideas on how to get some more of the deeper coins.

20230122_185133.jpg

20230122_185815.jpg

20230122_185930.jpg

• Like 9

Cool to see you using a discriminating SMF detector and getting results like that. That's a real jump for joy to find a CC coin! ๐Ÿฅณ Is the CC above or below the wreath, hurry up before GB gets here ๐Ÿ˜€

You might get spoiled not digging so much trash and getting great results, but I'm sure the PI would have gone deeper.

I'm hoping to get to a river beach soon myself to test out the D2. Excellent hunt! ๐Ÿ‘ As usual.ย 

ย 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Cool to see you using a discriminating SMF detector and getting results like that. That's a real jump for joy to find a CC coin! ๐Ÿฅณ Is the CC above or below the wreath, hurry up before GB gets here ๐Ÿ˜€

You might get spoiled not digging so much trash and getting great results, but I'm sure the PI would have gone deeper.

I'm hoping to get to a river beach soon myself to test out the D2. Excellent hunt! ๐Ÿ‘ As usual.ย 

ย 

Thanks! The CC is below the bow. The PI may go deeper but would have me digging a lot of needless small aluminum scraps. I'm pretty happy that I can cover most scenarios with the GPX and the Manticore. For tiny gold and gold chains I will still need the Equinox.ย  The real test is next time the tide is low enough for me to get back to that area. I have someย  "thoughts"ย  ๐Ÿค” on how to get more from there.

• Like 3

ย  ย Well, #20 wasn't quite what I described previously, but well done just the same!๐Ÿ‘

ย  ย Glad to see the Manti is working out for you! May the luck, and nice finds continue!๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

ย  ย Well, #20 wasn't quite what I described previously, but well done just the same!๐Ÿ‘

ย  ย Glad to see the Manti is working out for you! May the luck, and nice finds continue!๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

ย Thanks, I'm learning some new tricks. ๐Ÿ˜„ I think this is going to be a good machine. Can't wait to see if it really is. I bet you won't hear a peep from all those early reporters that could only find negative things to say about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

bet you won't hear a peep from all those early reporters that could only find negative things to say about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

ย  ย Not only that, but any critics of the 5000 on the beach ain't saying much either; you've proven it's worth, time and again!! (but it's still a beast to wield)!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Like 3

Man, SOHN, it looks like the M-Core is doing a good job for you! Great finds and I don't think I've ever seen so little trash in your photos, well done!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

...Hurry up before GB gets here ๐Ÿ˜€

:laugh:ย  Lucky for you I didn't read the new finds post last night when I saw it on the index page.ย  Yes, finding a -CC mintmarked coin is tough, particularly in the East.ย  (Those lucky Western detectorists recover them like they're screwcaps.ย  OK, not true, but much easier to find in the West, relatively speaking still far, far from easy.)

The story of the creation, operation, and evenual closing of the Carson City mint is an interesting page of USA history.ย  The prolific silver production of Northwest Nevada led to its creation, but it never lived up to the need.ย  In other words, the demand never caught up to the supply.ย  That led to considerable value to some (low mintage) issues in contrast to considerably production & availability in (only) a few others.ย  For example, only three years of dime production (1875-77) resulted in ~25,000,000 issued.ย  The previous four years together produced only ~87,000 and the last year (1878) only 200,000.ย  So less than 2% of -CC dimes were minted outside those 3 prolific years.ย  Those three years are not only #3, #1, #2 (in order of date) among dimes but in fact (if my findings from flipping through the Redbook is accurate), actually the three highest mintages of all -CC coins ever produced!ย  Dime was the smallest denomination minted; all silver denominations of higher face value, including the elusiver 20 cent piece, were produced, as well as gold in the $5, $10, and $20 denominations.

Only the SE USA mints at Charlotte, NC (-C mintmark) and Dahlonega, GA (-D mintmark) produced fewer coins than Carson City, and that was because they never minted anything but gold coins.ย  Coincidentally all three of those mints had the same lifespan (24 years) but because of gaps in production, particularly 1886-88, Carson City had issues in the fewest number of years.ย  I wonder how many detectorists have found coins from all the USA mints....ย  I suspect you could count them on a couple hands, or less.

Well, school, I hijacked your thread again, but I'm putting all the blame on F350.ย  ๐Ÿ˜ย  Is that your first -CC minted coin found with a detector?ย  A likely bucket-lister if so.

15 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I'm learning some new tricks. ๐Ÿ˜„ I think this is going to be a good machine. Can't wait to see if it really is. I bet you won't hear a peep from all those early reporters that could only find negative things to say about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

(In case I haven't said this previously) I'm glad you have a Manticore and are giving us honest but cautious reports of its early performance.ย  Please keep that up.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

ย  ย Not only that, but any critics of the 5000 on the beach ain't saying much either; you've proven it's worth, time and again!! (but it's still a beast to wield)!๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

It is a beast though, certainly not for most people.ย  The only problem with the Manticore is it feels so light that when I pick up the GPX, I'm like "I can't swing this tank anymore" ๐Ÿ˜„

17 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Man, SOHN, it looks like the M-Core is doing a good job for you! Great finds and I don't think I've ever seen so little trash in your photos, well done!

Thanks. That trash would have been even lower if I could have started out in the low tide. Most of the light stuff came from the upper beach. Down low that stuff was long gone, washed away by the sea. It's hard for me to even believe, but all those copper cents, silver and clad basically came from a 15x30' section.ย  I'm sure a lot of it was left because the scoops can not get past some of the big rocks that are locked together in place. With a spade you can pry them while kneeling. Then you just have to dig blind through the water until you get the signal out. Not fun, but judging the age of this beach, worth the time. Hopefully in 2 weeks the tide will just be barely low enough to expose those rocks again.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

:laugh:ย  Lucky for you I didn't read the new finds post last night when I saw it on the index page.ย  Yes, finding a -CC mintmarked coin is tough, particularly in the East.ย  (Those lucky Western detectorists recover them like they're screwcaps.ย  OK, not true, but much easier to find in the West, relatively speaking still far, far from easy.)

The story of the creation, operation, and evenual closing of the Carson City mint is an interesting page of USA history.ย  The prolific silver production of Northwest Nevada led to its creation, but it never lived up to the need.ย  In other words, the demand never caught up to the supply.ย  That led to considerable value to some (low mintage) issues in contrast to considerably production & availability in (only) a few others.ย  For example, only three years of dime production (1875-77) resulted in ~25,000,000 issued.ย  The previous four years together produced only ~87,000 and the last year (1878) only 200,000.ย  So less than 2% of -CC dimes were minted outside those 3 prolific years.ย  Those three years are not only #3, #1, #2 (in order of date) among dimes but in fact (if my findings from flipping through the Redbook is accurate), actually the three highest mintages of all -CC coins ever produced!ย  Dime was the smallest denomination minted; all silver denominations of higher face value, including the elusiver 20 cent piece, were produced, as well as gold in the $5, $10, and $20 denominations.

Only the SE USA mints at Charlotte, NC (-C mintmark) and Dahlonega, GA (-D mintmark) produced fewer coins than Carson City, and that was because they never minted anything but gold coins.ย  Coincidentally all three of those mints had the same lifespan (24 years) but because of gaps in production, particularly 1886-88, Carson City had issues in the fewest number of years.ย  I wonder how many detectorists have found coins from all the USA mints....ย  I suspect you could count them on a couple hands, or less.

Well, school, I hijacked your thread again, but I'm putting all the blame on F350.ย  ๐Ÿ˜ย  Is that your first -CC minted coin found with a detector?ย  A likely bucket-lister if so.

(In case I haven't said this previously) I'm glad you have a Manticore and are giving us honest but cautious reports of its early performance.ย  Please keep that up.

Geeze, that F350 guy is always making you hijack threads ๐Ÿ˜ฌ We should do a road trip and teach him a lesson. ๐Ÿ˜„ CC Seated coins are hard to find here and are usually pretty worn out, like theย  "S" coins are. I think I may only have 3 of them. I'm trying not to get too pumped up with the Manticore, because there are different situational hunts that require different settings. So far I can tell it loves saturated sand and semi saturated sand (when the tide has receded a couple of hours ago). Like all Minelab detectors, the likes will over take the dislikes as soon as more people get their hands on them.ย  I'm just glad I got one in time for my winter beach season.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2