So The Beach Hunts Start Again

Nice hunt!  Congrats on the gold.

Comparing the Manticore to the GPX is probably a test, but you certainly proved it will hold its own.

So I guess you create a scale with your hands and decide whether you want less trash and shallower finds, or more trash and older, deeper stuff? 😀 🤔

Seems to me a win/win either way, but the point is you still can go deep if you want. 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's quite an interesting comparison between the Manticore and GPX. Congrats on the gold ring, well done!

Thank you. It really does show what each machine can do in about the same amount of time.  Although not a true comparison, since I can't fire up both machines on a beach at the same time.

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt!  Congrats on the gold.

Comparing the Manticore to the GPX is probably a test, but you certainly proved it will hold its own.

So I guess you create a scale with your hands and decide whether you want less trash and shallower finds, or more trash and older, deeper stuff? 😀 🤔

Seems to me a win/win either way, but the point is you still can go deep if you want. 👍

Thanks.. Yep, unless a beach is completely sanded in, I'll be running the Manticore first and then going over it again with the GPX. The Manticore still gets me 10-12" if the EMI is mild and the sand is wet and mostly free of black sand. I think it will work well on flat beaches. I'll have to try that on a real low tide sometimes. This tide was a +0.3, so not very low at all.  But if you want deep, the GPX is the way to go. Wet sand I was hearing 15" softly, but solid.

• Like 3

Nice piece of 14k🎖️

You keep cleaning the beaches like you are doing and a newbe tries out their new detector there , they will think it is broken  😆

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Thank you. It really does show what each machine can do in about the same amount of time.  Although not a true comparison, since I can't fire up both machines on a beach at the same time.

Thanks.. Yep, unless a beach is completely sanded in, I'll be running the Manticore first and then going over it again with the GPX. The Manticore still gets me 10-12" if the EMI is mild and the sand is wet and mostly free of black sand. I think it will work well on flat beaches. I'll have to try that on a real low tide sometimes. This tide was a +0.3, so not very low at all.  But if you want deep, the GPX is the way to go. Wet sand I was hearing 15" softly, but solid.

On 2/3/2023 at 7:49 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

thank you for all these descriptions on your detections.👍

• Like 1

Another great report(s) and finds! Nice to see that the M-core is working into your lineup well!

With a little "PI inspiration" from you and others, I recently changed my beach lineup as well, with a couple of PI's! Been running a TDI SL & Miner John 7.5x12 coil, with much improved depth, over my 800! And also got a Tesoro Sandshark to back it up in the wet stuff! Don't know if they can compete with the GPX, but they were considerably cheaper!!🤑 Still gotta do some mods to the TDI, to squeeze out even more depth! Than hopfully find your kind of spots to "pillage"!🏴‍☠️ (F350 term)!!😂🤞🍀

Keep up the good work!!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

On 2/9/2023 at 12:57 AM, Joe D. said:

Another great report(s) and finds! Nice to see that the M-core is working into your lineup well!

With a little "PI inspiration" from you and others, I recently changed my beach lineup as well, with a couple of PI's! Been running a TDI SL & Miner John 7.5x12 coil, with much improved depth, over my 800! And also got a Tesoro Sandshark to back it up in the wet stuff! Don't know if they can compete with the GPX, but they were considerably cheaper!!🤑 Still gotta do some mods to the TDI, to squeeze out even more depth! Than hopfully find your kind of spots to "pillage"!🏴‍☠️ (F350 term)!!😂🤞🍀

Keep up the good work!!🍀👍👍

You will gain lots of muscles now that you have PI's. 😄 Any PI will get you more and deeper targets. The key is to use it in areas that have been "cleansed" of the surface targets and where you know there may be deeper targets. You don't have to compete with the GPX, just have to compete against your beach. It's just you against the sand 😉. The TDI can go very deep as well, and it's pretty stable too. I had a beach hunt yesterday where a PI was a must. The Manticore (and the Equinox for that matter), failed miserably at the black sand areas. Could hardly pick up a penny at 2-3" Maybe if I would fool with the individual frequencies I might have gotten 4" 😆, but I'm too lazy and intolerant for that. 😇 back to the trunk you go and out comes the PI to save the day.

• Like 2

Beach hunt # 23 was at a beach I have not done in years. This is an area that I wanted to try out the Manticore to weed through the junk and also try the GPX to hit targets below the vast amount of cobble that lay exposed in one section of the beach. But as we all know, things don’t always go as expected. First thing I noticed was that the bulldozer was at work and there were many big piles waiting to be spread out on the beach. Sounds like a win-win situation, as that sand must have been removed from somewhere else on the beach. I pulled out the Manticore and started hunting around the big piles. Unfortunately there was a lot of broken wire from the slat type fences they use to keep that sand banks in place. They work well but get busted up quite a bit from big storms. Also, the beach had exposed black sand on its surface. There were older copper cents at 2-3” deep, so I knew there would be better targets there. Unfortunately, the Manticore (like the Equinox) does not do well in exposed black sand. 2-3” on a coin was all I could get. Bummer ☹️  I messed with some of the settings but soon gave up. I don’t know if Minelab is holding back on some of the technology that can make their newest detectors work in black sand or if it’s not possible for Multi IQ and Multi IQ+ to work if black sand is present. Either way, I abandoned the Manticore and quickly fired up the GPX. I went back to the same area and started popping coins all over. Now there are drawbacks to the GPX, since I also started to hit pull tabs at 10+” as well. I figured there must be a gold ring somewhere, but not today. I thought I struck gold twice today, once in a hoop earring and the other was a stunning 5 heart stone earring. Too good to be true. Both were bling and no amount of close scrutiny would put the letter K on either of them. I did get a silver Mercury and Roosevelt, along with a silver ring and earring, so all was not lost. You can clearly see the difference in the amount of coins and jewelry between the Manticore and GPX when conditions get harsher.  😉 The beach has potential, so I may hit it again with the pulse. Now if I can just stop people from asking me if I watch “The Detectorist” comedy series. 🙄

20230209_111834.jpg

20230209_111840.jpg

20230210_115226.jpg

20230210_120143.jpg

20230210_120758.jpg

20230210_122237.jpg

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Any PI will get you more and deeper targets.

Even the stock White's TDI/SL and its waterproof sister?  Given your next post, do you mean specifically in magnetic black sand?

Another hard day's work for you while we sit on our couches and watch.  :biggrin:  It's amazing how many targets you recover.  BTW, what is that long skinny thing on the right side of the non-ferrous junk photo?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Even the stock White's TDI/SL and its waterproof sister?  Given your next post, do you mean specifically in magnetic black sand?

Another hard day's work for you while we sit on our couches and watch.  :biggrin:  It's amazing how many targets you recover.  BTW, what is that long skinny thing on the right side of the non-ferrous junk photo?

Yep, in most black sands in my area. I should have said that 🙄 I keep forgetting that there are other areas that don't have to deal with that stuff. Lucky (or unlucky) them.  🤔 That long thing is a mystery object. It was still in its sealed plastic sleeve when found. I'm not sure what it is, and it sounded like it has a spring inside of it. I'm not pulling off them caps 😄.

• Like 1