So The Beach Hunts Start Again

Self inflicted no doubt !

This afternoon I leaned  the detector and shovel up against the rig and then sat down to put on the knee pads , big mistake  ! 🙄 I got up an hour later and put them away.

I haven't done the test on the ring yet but I showed it to a lady I know that makes jewelry and she said it sure looked like silver .  And she also said the earring emerald needs to be looked at or tested too !

So far 3 pieces in 3 weeks and till it freezes again to go. 

3 to 0  silver to gold ratio .It's a start.

But I still win if just the silver number goes up !

And YES like you ,  my junk pile is getting pretty heavy too...

Yup yup I have it on good authority that a singing dinosaur sleeps well on a pile of gold for sure !  (Source: The Hobbit ,,,singing , flying. What's the difference ? )   

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Beach hunt # 33 & 34 was my return to the beaches. Days are busier now that the weather is nicer, so I was glad to find some time to get back to the beaches. These are 2 different days hunting 2 different beaches. The first one was a small beach and I used both the Manticore and the GPX. The other beach hunt was with just the GPX. Not a lot on the first beach, but I did manage 2 silvers. The second hunt was an all-day affair and netted me more silver than I thought I would get. The beaches are starting to get more and more people on them. I only have a hunt or two left before the season opener. Always nice to get out detecting.🙂

20230511_174330.jpg

20230511_180436.jpg

20230511_181302.jpg

20230511_183646.jpg

20230511_190103.jpg

20230511_190135.jpg

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

Great hunts. I amazed all the stuff that's on your beaches. Not much stuff on my northern Michigan beaches.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The first one was a small beach and I used both the Manticore and the GPX.

How many hours with the Manticore?

Always enjoy your finds & trash photos.  Do you ever look through date+mm on the Jefferson nickels?

12 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

I amazed all the stuff that's on your beaches. Not much stuff on my northern Michigan beaches.

I assume the amount of finds is indirectly proportional to the amount of clothing worn....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rick N. MI said:

Great hunts. I amazed all the stuff that's on your beaches. Not much stuff on my northern Michigan beaches.

Thanks. We have a lot of trash, that's for sure. We get great wave action that is constantly breaking down our beaches. Some of the areas have an inch or two of nice sand and then clay. Most of those coins were a bit further down and were averaged at 10" deep. If you get a chance to try a pulse machine (assuming you haven't already), it may open up some new spots.

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

How many hours with the Manticore?

Always enjoy your finds & trash photos.  Do you ever look through date+mm on the Jefferson nickels?

I assume the amount of finds is indirectly proportional to the amount of clothing worn....

I think it was about 3.5 hours with the Manticore (includes both sand and turf) The GPX was 3-4 hours as well.

I do look over the Jeffersons, mostly to see if they are 40's vintage. Since you never know when these coins are dropped, having a bunch from the 40's tells me I'm in the time frame for silver. The ones that tell me nothing are the 1964 Jeffersons. You could find 10 of them and still not be in the silver area. They made so many of them that you still find them in change today.

The amount of finds is directly related to how dumb I want to be that day 😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I do look over the Jeffersons, mostly to see if they are 40's vintage. Since you never know when these coins are dropped, having a bunch from the 40's tells me I'm in the time frame for silver. The ones that tell me nothing are the 1964 Jeffersons. You could find 10 of them and still not be in the silver area. They made so many of them that you still find them in change today.

Yes, dates can give some indication of when things were dropped, but that's a statistical measurement so the more the merrier. 

The thing about Jeffies is that there was never hording of any kind occurring, unlike silver and even Wheaties.  No one except a collector would bother looking at the dates+mintmarks so if it had a Jefferson head and a Jefferson Memorial, every one looked like every other one.  The last 20 years saw some changes, but even then what was the incentive -- bullion value (like silver coins) -- nope.  Collector value (what Wheatie horders were hoping for) -- not without effort.  Whenever there is effort involved (knowing which date+mm carry value over face and then taking the time to look), people tend to take the easy way out.

So there are the 1964's (plain and -D) that you bring up..  They minted a ton and even with eventual dilution and atrition they are still pretty easy to find in circulation today (as you note), let alone while detecting.

You didn't mention the 30's (1938 & 1939).  Of the six issues, only the 1939 was common and still found occasionally today.  The other five are anywhere from unusual (1938 plain) to fairly scarce (1938-D and 1939-S) to semi-keys (1938-S and 1939-D).  I've found one 1938 plain detecting and a few 1939 plains but none of the other four.  I would get excited finding either of the last two mentioned as even when searching bank rolls in the 60's and pocket change ever since I've not found either one.

• Like 3

I've found a couple '39's. Not sure about the '38. The disadvantage about storing my beach finds by beach and not by type, is trying to locate them nickels..... won't be easy. It's not going to happen 😄

I agree interest in Jefferson nickels is not very common. If you are going to collect nickles how do you compete with the beauty of Buffalo, V or Shield. Jefferson nickels would be my last pick.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

If you are going to collect nickles how do you compete with the beauty of Buffalo, V or Shield. Jefferson nickels would be my last pick.

From strictly a beauty standpoint, the Buffalo Nickel (also known as 'Indian Head Nickel') is clearly the top of that heap IMO.  Common dates and even possibly those with dates worn off can still be display pieces from that viewpoint.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

From strictly a beauty standpoint, the Buffalo Nickel (also known as 'Indian Head Nickel') is clearly the top of that heap IMO.  Common dates and even possibly those with dates worn off can still be display pieces from that viewpoint.

Yep, my favorite series would be Indian, Buffalo, Mercury, SLQ, Walking Liberty. I'm less impressed when it comes to the dollar....probably Peace over Morgan. All newer coins are bland compared to that series (for me).

• Like 2

I'm late to the party.

The finds pics are looking like you still have massive display disease.👍

I'm hoping to become a victim of that terrible situation myself.😍

That GPX is a real "Hoover " ! 🤔

I'm saving up my finds from the last month.  And maybe next month too .

I'm getting close in the junk department anyway.........🙄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2