So The Beach Hunts Start Again

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Good day detecting  ! 

and no zincolns.

I know 😄 I'll make up for it next time. Was a nice change not digging crusty zincs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even your trash is cool. 👍

It's nice to have a goal detecting, glad you could reach yours. What size is the ball you were looking for, or is that some sort of archaeological secret? I find them all the time, and wouldn't know a good or desirable one from crap.

Did they let you keep all those bullets? Some of them are pretty old too.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I think you've served your time digging zincolns.

There should be a limit on that  , then we get immunity or something ! 🙃

So much for the "there should be " line of thought..... 🙄

🥰IMMUNITY!!!! Can I get some of that on aluminum as well? 😄

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Even your trash is cool. 👍

It's nice to have a goal detecting, glad you could reach yours. What size is the ball you were looking for, or is that some sort of archaeological secret? I find them all the time, and wouldn't know a good or desirable one from crap.

Did they let you keep all those bullets? Some of them are pretty old too.

I had doubts we would find any round ball. This is a fairly small site and it took a while to find anything relevant. I think they wanted large caliber round ball, but I didn't know what caliber. I had no way of measuring them, but I think these are around 62 cal. The good thing is they are all consistent in size. The smaller ones were around 38 cal and also consistent in size. They were packed with one big shot and 3 smaller shot in one load. I didn't bother to take pictures of them. I'm surprised I remembered to take any pictures at all. Once I start finding something, I forget to take pictures. 😌. The non period items are junk, but I saved them just in case they wanted to show the unrelated items as well. They sit in a plastic bag on the shelf for now.

• Like 4

That's awesome that you get to do archeological work and you made some cool finds! I agree with F350, it looks like there are some old bullets in your trash pile. And since it's not of the period they were looking for, you got to keep them, so win-win. Well done! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's awesome that you get to do archeological work and you made some cool finds! I agree with F350, it looks like there are some old bulletss in your trash pile. And since it's not of the period they were looking for, you got to keep them, so win-win. Well done! 

Thanks, Every once in a while I get a call from some great people I have worked with over the years. The text and say "interested in a war of 1812 fort???" How can I say no 😄 Seriously, just some fun time detecting on those kind of off limit sites. That's what metal detecting is supposed to be..... fun first.  I have the easy job, just find stuff. They have to GPS them, double bag them, write down information..... 🙄 Not my kind of fun.

• Like 2

That is a lot of hunt time.  How much beach did you cover?  Was it all in tide sands?

• Like 1

Whatever happened to that beach , you sure were there on the right day !                     The usual suspects with silver and gold too !

Merrrrrrrrry Christmas ! 

I wish I could last that long digging holes like you do !  I'd need to time travel back at least 30 years by my estimate 🤔 

Using a different kind of shovel yesterday , if I have to , I guess....

I didn't find anything but the frozen lawn under all that white stuff either ! 

• Like 2