So The Beach Hunts Start Again

4 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Beach hunt # 23 was at a beach I have not done in years. This is an area that I wanted to try out the Manticore to weed through the junk and also try the GPX to hit targets below the vast amount of cobble that lay exposed in one section of the beach. But as we all know, things don’t always go as expected. First thing I noticed was that the bulldozer was at work and there were many big piles waiting to be spread out on the beach. Sounds like a win-win situation, as that sand must have been removed from somewhere else on the beach. I pulled out the Manticore and started hunting around the big piles. Unfortunately there was a lot of broken wire from the slat type fences they use to keep that sand banks in place. They work well but get busted up quite a bit from big storms. Also, the beach had exposed black sand on its surface. There were older copper cents at 2-3” deep, so I knew there would be better targets there. Unfortunately, the Manticore (like the Equinox) does not do well in exposed black sand. 2-3” on a coin was all I could get. Bummer ☹️  I messed with some of the settings but soon gave up. I don’t know if Minelab is holding back on some of the technology that can make their newest detectors work in black sand or if it’s not possible for Multi IQ and Multi IQ+ to work if black sand is present. Either way, I abandoned the Manticore and quickly fired up the GPX. I went back to the same area and started popping coins all over. Now there are drawbacks to the GPX, since I also started to hit pull tabs at 10+” as well. I figured there must be a gold ring somewhere, but not today. I thought I struck gold twice today, once in a hoop earring and the other was a stunning 5 heart stone earring. Too good to be true. Both were bling and no amount of close scrutiny would put the letter K on either of them. I did get a silver Mercury and Roosevelt, along with a silver ring and earring, so all was not lost. You can clearly see the difference in the amount of coins and jewelry between the Manticore and GPX when conditions get harsher.  😉 The beach has potential, so I may hit it again with the pulse. Now if I can just stop people from asking me if I watch “The Detectorist” comedy series. 🙄

20230209_111834.jpg

20230209_111840.jpg

20230210_115226.jpg

20230210_120143.jpg

20230210_120758.jpg

20230210_122237.jpg

Two people asked me the same question 2 days ago, I just told them I don't watch TV :) 
It also seems like you pull up a ton of trash with the GPX, but it's hitting those good targets too! Is it difficult to discriminate between ferrous and non ferrous with that detector? Cause I noticed you picked up a ton of iron.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sirius said:

Two people asked me the same question 2 days ago, I just told them I don't watch TV 🙂
It also seems like you pull up a ton of trash with the GPX, but it's hitting those good targets too! Is it difficult to discriminate between ferrous and non ferrous with that detector? Cause I noticed you picked up a ton of iron.

Most of the wire iron was with the Manticore. The small single pieces of iron and some of the big iron was with the GPX. When the small iron gets deeper, it's better to just dig it and not waste too much time wondering if it's a deep coin or just iron. I dig really fast, so I just dig it. The pull tabs killed me the most from that hunt - low conductors and not one of them was gold. On the GPX, the low conductors are harder than high conductors to tell apart, because the small iron has a small footprint and won't double beep. The longer pieces will either double beep, or when you circle the coil around target, you will usually hear a bit of sound from two opposite sides of the target. So circle the coil tightly around the target, if its small you will not hit it with the coil and you will hear no sound, but if it's elongated, you will hear a slight sound from 2 opposite sides of the target (like 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions). It's not full proof, but it works when you want to take the time and figure it out.

• Like 3

Wow, what an extabbaganza! 😀 (Now I'll have to fix that next time I want to use the real word) 

You sure show the uninitiated what using a PI is like, the "dig it all" of it.

Great and realistic hunt again. 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Wow, what an extabbaganza! 😀 (Now I'll have to fix that next time I want to use the real word) 

You sure show the uninitiated what using a PI is like, the "dig it all" of it.

Great and realistic hunt again. 👍

You can have my tabs 😄 I could never dig it all on that beach 😲 otherwise you would see a lot more iron. Believe it or not that is the cherry picked version. I did pass on a lot of the obvious iron. Yep, PI's are not for the faint hearted. Some people using PI's, take the time and analyze their targets and they probably dig a lot less iron than I do, that's for sure. Most people  who are used to discrimination don't like PI's and go back to their detectors. Most of the veteran hunters have had experience with both (and some with BFO's too) and can handle the differences when needed.

13 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

You can have my tabs 😄 I could never dig it all on that beach 😲 otherwise you would see a lot more iron. Believe it or not that is the cherry picked version. I did pass on a lot of the obvious iron. Yep, PI's are not for the faint hearted. Some people using PI's, take the time and analyze their targets and they probably dig a lot less iron than I do, that's for sure. Most people  who are used to discrimination don't like PI's and go back to their detectors. Most of the veteran hunters have had experience with both (and some with BFO's too) and can handle the differences when needed.

👍

hello to you, how deep did you find the ring please. it will make a nice gift for Valentine's Day on February 14 (in France), I don't know if it exists in other countries

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JPS said:

👍

hello to you, how deep did you find the ring please. it will make a nice gift for Valentine's Day on February 14 (in France), I don't know if it exists in other countries

It sure does in Australia. The next one, two days from now will be Carol and my 53 Wedding anniversary.

💕 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, JPS said:

👍

We have Valentine's day too,  here but the thing I found was an earring, not a ring and it is "Bling" which is a fancy way of saying, it's junk!!! 😄 Not real. So if I give it to her for Valentine's Day,  there will be a lot of my metal detectors for sale very cheap and I will have to sleep on your couch for a while 😐 The earring was not very deep, maybe 3 or 4"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

We have Valentine's day too,  here but the thing I found was an earring, not a ring and it is "Bling" which is a fancy way of saying, it's junk!!! 😄 Not real. So if I give it to her for Valentine's Day,  there will be a lot of my metal detectors for sale very cheap and I will have to sleep on your couch for a while 😐 The earring was not very deep, maybe 3 or 4"

I'm kidding, have a nice day🙂

• Like 2