Legend Goldfield/deus 2 Mono/deus 2 Goldfield On Small Gold Targets

With silencer at 0 is it possible with that coil you ground balanced out the gold targets . Why GB so close to the targets. A reactivity  of 1 and silencer at 2 would yield much better results I think. JMHO

• Like 1

Can’t run reactivity of 1 in any goldfield I know of due to iron mineralization. Running a higher Silencer setting in Deus Mono may also “silence” targets near the ferrous/non ferrous break along with non ferrous signals being pulled down into the ferrous range like two of these targets were in the video. 

No Silencer adjustment in FMF Goldfield. 

The targets were not ground balanced out with either detector. If I didn’t ground balance on camera people would tell me about it too

• Like 1

FWIW - Since you were at the edge of detection, Audio Response of 6 on D2 would have given you a marginally louder signal for those targets that were actually detected and gave audio, probably would not have changed anything for those targets that were not detected at all with no whisper audio.

• Like 1

Running Audio response of 6 in the real world runs the risk of over amplifying hot rocks of all sizes and ground mineralization. XP’s default Goldfield settings have always been 3 or 4 for good reasons

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Running Audio response of 6 in the real world runs the risk of over amplifying hot rocks of all sizes and ground mineralization. XP’s default Goldfield settings have always been 3 or 4 for good reasons

My comment was mainly about having sufficient audio for your demonstation.

XP never had a notch feature for D1 or D2 Goldfield either until version 0.71 and that DOES reliably knock down the ground mineralization signal for me as well as some hot rocks for me in Relic mode (again perhaps at the expense of notching out some micro gold, but you did invoke it in your video), but you've got the expertise here Jeff as you're a natural gold detectorist unlike me, so I'll defer to you.

I'm not here to refute the valid point of the demonstration which is that D2 has taken a step backward from D1 in terms of micro gold performance and to get that edge back without having to keep a D1 or Orx around with an HF elliptical coil, XP needs to consider incorporating some changes to the D2 including:

• Having a mono frequency Goldfield mode
  • Developing a small elliptical coil option
  • Consider expanding the mono-frequency settings above 45 khz
  • Improving the SMF micro gold performance  in Goldfield (which might obviate the need for points 1 and 3 above)
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Can’t run reactivity of 1 in any goldfield I know of due to iron mineralization. Running a higher Silencer setting in Deus Mono may also “silence” targets near the ferrous/non ferrous break along with non ferrous signals being pulled down into the ferrous range like two of these targets were in the video. 

No Silencer adjustment in FMF Goldfield. 

The targets were not ground balanced out with either detector. If I didn’t ground balance on camera people would tell me about it too

You weren’t in a gold field. You said it was 5 on a scale of 10, moderate mineralization according to the Legend. And as close as the Deus coil was to the targets I do believe they were balanced out. Why not balance a foot away. Same soil I would think.

Good video Jeff and good info. There's always something people point out after you post a video that maybe the video maker overlooked. I find myself in that position all the time. Making videos is not easy and often times goes unappreciated by those watching.

I think XP watches the videos people make and if they are smart will make the changes people want. I'd like to think that's why they added disc notch to the gold and relic program after all the fuss I made about needing it gold hunting. But who knows.

But yea the Deus 2 is far from my first choice gold nugget hunting. It's too weak on small gold. Can it find gold? Yes as I've found a few nuggets with it. But the gold has to be in the .30 gram and above size to be detected on any kind of consistent basis. There's been a few people who want to say this and that about the Deus 2 and how great it is at everything. But I'll tell you straight up, it doesn't do well on small low conductors and higher the mineralization the worse it gets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2