Legend Goldfield/deus 2 Mono/deus 2 Goldfield On Small Gold Targets

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Deus 2 could barely hit those targets in Goldfield in moderate mineralization. Maybe you can get an idea about how it does in 10 of 10 iron mineralization………

I tried to pick a site close by that had enough mineralization to challenge Deus 2. I must have succeeded since it couldn’t handle it very well.

Just to back-up the "mineralization" issue with the D2. Myself, Jeff, and Steve H were all working heavy mineralized sites about a month ago. Steve and I were Pm-ing, and Jeff chimed in, trying different solutions to get the D2 to perform at three different locations.
Conclusions: All three of us were disappointed in how the D2 handled Black Sand/Mineralized soil. 

BE PREPARED, for several different issues to happen if you are running hot ground. 
The only reason I did not write this up was the fact my D2 was discharging while turned off. I cannot be 100% sure my D2 was functioning correctly.  I will get get on the Black Sand again and will see if I can make progress. I was running the 9" coil too. 

• Like 3

I am

8 hours ago, abenson said:

Good video Jeff and good info. There's always something people point out after you post a video that maybe the video maker overlooked. I find myself in that position all the time. Making videos is not easy and often times goes unappreciated by those watching.

I think XP watches the videos people make and if they are smart will make the changes people want. I'd like to think that's why they added disc notch to the gold and relic program after all the fuss I made about needing it gold hunting. But who knows.

But yea the Deus 2 is far from my first choice gold nugget hunting. It's too weak on small gold. Can it find gold? Yes as I've found a few nuggets with it. But the gold has to be in the .30 gram and above size to be detected on any kind of consistent basis. There's been a few people who want to say this and that about the Deus 2 and how great it is at everything. But I'll tell you straight up, it doesn't do well on small low conductors and higher the mineralization the worse it gets.

I am sorry to hear about your ankle and wish you a speedy recovery. I really am. I also am sorry that you did not see JMHO. I guess it best not to comment if you question something on a video. Only if you agree should you have an opinion. A bit snarky answer, but it is just my opinion. I am sincere when I say I hope your ankle heals soon.

• Like 1

Very good video Jeff.

Doubt they will tweak it but more likely make you buy another coil, just my guess.

Legend really nails those targets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kac said:

Very good video Jeff.

Doubt they will tweak it but more likely make you buy another coil, just my guess.

Legend really nails those targets.

The Legend was ground balanced near those targets too and it did like I expected which is similar to the Equinox.   
When I got Deus 2 I had hoped it would have at least as good performance as Deus 1 and maybe as good as Equinox/Legend. 
If they don’t tweak it that would be a shame since it’s predecessors were very good prospecting detectors. A smaller coil would be great. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carolina said:

I am

I am sorry to hear about your ankle and wish you a speedy recovery. I really am. I also am sorry that you did not see JMHO. I guess it best not to comment if you question something on a video. Only if you agree should you have an opinion. A bit snarky answer, but it is just my opinion. I am sincere when I say I hope your ankle heals soon.

Thanks Carolina.

I saw your JMHO.

It is totally fine to comment if you question something. I tried to give you some very exact answers to your questions. Just because you raise fair questions and I gave your fair answers does not mean that I will agree with your assumptions and suggestions. My disagreement with them is based on experience not conjecture.

I can't tell you how many times I have done similar testing with Deus 2 and just scratched my head in frustration. I have tried all of your settings and other suggestions and those by others here who have suggested them using Deus 2 since I got it and have also experimented with them previously using Deus 1 and the ORX while prospecting.

All I can say is for very small gold prospecting and for micro gold jewelry hunting, XP got the default settings very close to optimal for moderate to high iron mineralization using their Goldfield modes. 

Right now, from memory and my testing write-up notes, the ORX and Deus 1 using a 9" X35 coil in Goldfield set at 27kHz would have similar results that approach what the Legend shows in the video. Put on an HF coil running at 31 kHz and the results at least for sensitivity and target response would be nearly the same as the Legend. Raise the frequency on Deus 1 and the ORX and it will out perform the Legend and Equinox IF those XP detectors can be ground balanced.

I have tested all of my gold prospecting VLF and PI detectors at the exact spot shown in the video numerous times. GB Amateur and I tested our QEDs at that exact spot two years ago. I chose that spot several years ago because there are overhead and underground power lines about 50 feet away, lots of auto traffic on a nearby interstate highway and the ground has enough iron mineralization to challenge a detector.

So, keep questioning. It is totally okay. I do it all the time too as you probably know.

• Like 3

This issue is probably linked with a high ground mineralization . My D2 9" has no pb to detect a 0,4g bit of lead set down on a moderately mineralized ground , either using the GOLD or even other modes like SENSITIVE ..

DSC00227.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, palzynski said:

This D2 issue is probably linked with a high ground mineralization . My D2 9" has no pb to detect a 0,4g bit of lead set down on a moderately mineralized ground , either using the GOLD or even other modes like SENSITIVE ..

DSC00227.JPG

DSC00229.JPG

I agree Alain. Mineralization is definitely a factor. I can do the same with all of the targets in the video and with targets similar to yours and Deus 2 Goldfield will detect them even on highly iron mineralized ground. Bury them even 5cm and they are very hard to detect. Those same targets in the video were fairly easy to detect with Deus 1/ORX Goldfield at 5cm even using XP's conservative settings and frequencies around 31 kHz at the site in the video during testing in the past.

However, even in air testing (which I do not put much faith in by the way especially with SMF detectors) there is a really quick drop off in sensitivity to small sub gram low conductor targets using the higher frequency weighted FMF modes and especially Goldfield which should hit small sub gram targets very well, in theory.

While I still had my Deus 1, I compared air tests between Deus 1 and Deus 2 Goldfield modes in a low EMI environment on the exact same targets used in the video above. Deus 1 in Goldfield at 31 kHz using the HF Elliptical coil was hitting those targets easily a full 3cm farther than Deus 2 in Goldfield using the exact same settings except for single frequency versus SMF and different coils and with much stronger audio responses.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Mineralization is definitely a factor. I can do the same with all of the targets in the video and with targets similar to yours and Deus 2 Goldfield will detect them even on highly iron mineralized ground. Bury them even 5cm and they are very hard to detect.

Not trying to hi-jack [just talking mineralization]

With the black sand I was hunting. Depth was severely affected on nonferrous targets. Also>>> Something else very strange was happening. Upscaling of ferrous, and down scaling of nonferrous. 

When the target would not TID anymore, I was working on trying to identify what was in the ground. It was very frustrating!
With mineralization, Iron wanted to upscale, and nonferrous targets were down scaling. 

I just could not make a call to what I thought the target was by sound reactions alone. I was not even close to a 50/50 call on the target.

This is frustrating for a beach hunter who just wants to know if a target is simply ferrous or nonferrous. 

Now I know what you're thinking!!! How could the Deus do both, it does not make sense. >>>>Yes, I know.   

• Like 1

I sympathize Jeff - shoot the messenger. It’s obvious to anyone who has used the Deus 2 versus units like the Legend or Equinox, that the Deus 2 took a step backwards from the Deus 1 or ORX in terms of small gold sensitivity. You are simply trying to illustrate the fact, so that perhaps XP can do something to address it. No amount of doing this or doing that will change that fact, and unless XP does something to change the way things are, then people like me will go on ditching the Deus 2 in favor of detectors better suited to the things I do.

Thst said, I would expect XP to be quite satisfied with this. A detector company exists to sell hardware. Creating one detector to rule them all may be our goal, but it most assuredly is not theirs. A company wants a lineup of detectors with varying capabilities and price points. They seek to sell you not one detector, but two, or more. It’s not own a Deus 2 or own an ORX, it’s own both, silly boy! And now you can add the Master to your list of XP options to choose from. :smile:

• Like 6

On 9/12/2022 at 2:38 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I sympathize Jeff - shoot the messenger. It’s obvious to anyone who has used the Deus 2 versus units like the Legend or Equinox, that the Deus 2 took a step backwards from the Deus 1 or ORX in terms of small gold sensitivity. You are simply trying to illustrate the fact, so that perhaps XP can do something to address it. No amount of doing this or doing that will change that fact, and unless XP does something to change the way things are, then people like me will go on ditching the Deus 2 in favor of detectors better suited to the things I do.

Thst said, I would expect XP to be quite satisfied with this. A detector company exists to sell hardware. Creating one detector to rule them all may be our goal, but it most assuredly is not theirs. A company wants a lineup of detectors with varying capabilities and price points. They seek to sell you not one detector, but two, or more. It’s not own a Deus 2 or own an ORX, it’s own both, silly boy! And now you can add the Master to your list of XP options to choose from. :smile:

Thanks Steve for stating the obvious in your first paragraph.

As far as the second paragraph.....I sure am glad that Minelab and Nokta did not follow that type of business strategy with their releases of the Equinox 800 and the Legend even though they also still have outstanding single frequency gold prospecting detectors in their current lineups.

• Like 2