Jump to content

Late 1850's Military Camp Relics And Gold


Recommended Posts


That’s what I’m talking about right there 🙂 thank goodness the grader did not ruin that gold coin. Two gold and no silver or are you holding out for the rest of the story? Good stuff for sure. 

Strick

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double gold!  Way cool, Andy.  I don't recall you mentioning these when we crossed paths in early June, although maybe you did so without fanfare.  😁  I understand why you don't want to reveal too much -- I wouldn't either.

You probably looked up those coins (as I did) and noticed that 1849 was the first year that the USA minted gold $1 pieces.  Not a low mintage so no extra value over type, but regardless a fantastic pair of finds.  Still, next time how about getting a mintmarked one.  :laugh:

Once again proof they're still out there if you put in the research.  Well deserved.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, strick said:

That’s what I’m talking about right there 🙂 thank goodness the grader did not ruin that gold coin. Two gold and no silver or are you holding out for the rest of the story? Good stuff for sure. 

Strick

Yea I'm surprised the grader didn't damage it. No silver yet, which is very odd.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Double gold!  Way cool, Andy.  I don't recall you mentioning these when we crossed paths in early June, although maybe you did so without fanfare.  😁  I understand why you don't want to reveal too much -- I wouldn't either.

You probably looked up those coins (as I did) and noticed that 1849 was the first year that the USA minted gold $1 pieces.  Not a low mintage so no extra value over type, but regardless a fantastic pair of finds.  Still, next time how about getting a mintmarked one.  :laugh:

Once again proof they're still out there if you put in the research.  Well deserved.

 

I may have showed you a picture of the $2 1/2 when we meet up but I don't recall  

Yea 1849 was the first year and a year I hadn't found yet. I have found 1849-1854 now I believe. Might be missing 1850 but I'd have to look. Only mint mark I have found on those is O would really like a D.

They are still out there. You have to do the research and then dig everything 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Impressive outing , thx for the pics ... Which detector(s) did you use ? ( Unless this is a secret too ..🙂 )

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice productive place, Andy. Hope you get lots more out of there. I'm also curious what detector(s) you're using. 🙂

Saving history. 👍 Great gold!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

Impressive outing , thx for the pics ... Which detector(s) did you use ? ( Unless this is a secret too ..🙂 )

Minelab Equinox 800

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...