Hurricane "k"

Compass

3 minutes ago, SeabeeRon said:

Really happy for you George!!

Thanks Ron! I think it was the case of everything coming together - locations, times, equipment, tactics and luck, of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Wow!! Great hunting! 

Love the old ring with the nice sized blue stone, is it a Sapphire?

Thanks Cal, I think that is one of my favorite finds this week. The color seems a little light to be a sapphire (almost a dark turquoise). Also, I don't if the ring is old or just an old style design. It has very little wear and is only stamped "14K". (???)

• Like 2

Great job on the gold.  I should have gone down the coast an hour or two but ...

I know what you mean about the Nox being chatty lately.  I've had to reduce my sensitivity from 23 down to 21 or 20 to keep from going crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Compass said:

Hurricane Kay was wonderful to me! Prior to Kay I was having a very slow year for gold finds but she changed all that in 1 week.
I know that Kay was not so good for LA County beaches but, as Strick pointed out, a few beaches down south had massive amounts of sand movement making for some ideal hunting conditions.
I think I hunted about 6 nights in the last 8 days and even though I encountered several other hunters, there were enough targets to go around. I found an amazing number of gold jewelry items but most were below 2 grams and nothing even close to being a "honker". Many targets were hiding in and around the black sand making them more difficult to find, even with my pulse detectors. On one hunt I used my Equinox but the black sand was making the Nox so chatty that I was getting a headache. My Nox's TID's were pretty useless as virtually all targets registered as negative numbers until I got them out of the holes. 

I am helping a couple of friends who are getting started in metal detecting and, fortunately, they were both able to experience hunting in a target rich environment. However, every time I went to the beach this past week I did not know what to expect - I either anticipated the beach to be sanded back in or full of holes from hunters who got there before me.

GL&HH!

IMG_20220908_163044__01.jpg

IMG_20220910_110832__01.jpg

IMG_20220911_101548__01.jpg

IMG_20220912_103842__01.jpg

IMG_20220912_155415__01.jpg

BOOM!!!!!  So awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Great job on the gold.  I should have gone down the coast an hour or two but ...

I know what you mean about the Nox being chatty lately.  I've had to reduce my sensitivity from 23 down to 21 or 20 to keep from going crazy.

Thanks Mitchell, Fortunately, I saw some pretty good surf action on one the beach cams that led me to one location. The other productive beach I just stumbled upon. I did find a lot of coins and a couple of silver rings with the Nox but even with reduced sensitivity it took a lot of concentration to pick out repeating signals. My pulse detectors seemed a better fit for the conditions this week.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Don't be afraid to sneak that IB to Fe-6 and Recovery 6 to get more sensitivity/stability. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, midalake said:

BOOM!!!!!  So awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!

Thanks midalake, I really learned a lot this week. One of those things was which scoop to use when there are so many shallow targets. For a while I used an old style french fry basket like we used 50 years ago before long handled scoops were produced. While harder on the back they are so quick and efficient in target recovery that allowed me to cover a lot of ground quickly.

• Like 3