Coin Hunters, What Do You Dig With?

Guy's use the screw driver to probe the ground. Unless the item is on edge you will fell the probe stop and if you move over a bit it will slide past. This way you can pull items without cutting a plug.

Be mindful a screwdriver will scratch the crap out of a coin and ruin it. I use a coin probe with a small Bearing brazed to the tip.

th?&id=OIP.Mb0ed8c6c5f7b4ce71886cc352399

I like a lesche Raptor. Made by Predator Tools. http://www.predatortools.com/collections/all

Model 31 (C) - Raptor

This one by Dirt Digger Tools is junk.

8c7dd5619b7496477efd5819e1825423?AccessK

31C.jpg?v=1437766931

• Like 1

I used to make up diggers out of old hunting knives, types with a good enough quillion, and grind a few serrated groves on one side around the four inch mark.

But I haven't dug a plug for years, and prefer screwdrivers.

I can only use fat round handled ones due to hand-bruising. And the ones I'm on now have a 6" blade and are of a good quality.

Picked up half a dozen on special I was so impressed with them.

IMG20160426165628.jpg

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I'm much of a coin hunter anymore but the good old screw driver is probably the best bottle cap discriminator around ' goes right through those caps!

actually don't even have a coin peeper at the moment...

image.jpeg

A lot of guys think these bahco wrecking chisels are the trick,

image.jpeg

• Like 1

The Shoe horn... That's the first time i'v realised that's what it looks like! It's my plug cutter/digger made from a plough disk so it's got a nice bowl curve to it so I just ram it home and lever the clump out, only any good if the ground is moist well around here the ground is rock hard so I probably use the driver 90% of the time.

yeah those golf balls are way comfy but you need to drill a heap until you get one with a hard centre not goo, I just give the screw driver handle a wack with the hammer to crack the plastic and then glue it into the ball, Iv made up a few for people. 

• Like 2

They used to make a coin popper thing.I never did use mine, flat blade screwdriver works good but sure will scratch up a silver coin as I found out the hard way years ago. Otherwise Lesche red handled serrated tool for me, NOT the Samson digging spade, that's for relic hunting in the woods.

18 hours ago, gambler said:

Eklawok, I also am trying to teach myself how to pop coins with a screw driver. I usually give up and dig. 

Me too

8 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

You might find that a bit easier using a concentric coil because they pin point better because the target always ends up in the middle,

john

Ya know....I was kinda curious about that. The 10" DD does seem to pinpoint "oddly" compared to what I was used to with my Garrett with the 6X9. But I am getting used to it. I did pick up a 4X6 for the Mxt though. Kind of a cool little coil to play with. Just doesn't cover a lot of ground. But it is pretty nice to use around trees and such.

On the MXT the older flat 950 coil is my favourite but in the trees the 5.3 ( 6" ) coil is a great little coil and can hit coins over 9" deep,  Although the 6x10 is a great coil for prospecting I tend to use Concentrics in hammered sites because of the extra depth they have which is why I seem to find odd ball things that others have missed because knowing that since the DD came out everyone fell for the hype so I know nothing with any serious depth has been there,

john