Discrimination Question

Rrnp

Nothing....... you can set it to whatever you wish. 

Now if there is a lot of small pieces of iron and all then you may want to raise it some to get rid of the small grunts in a high trash area. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Rrnp said:

If you set the discrimination to say 2 or 10. What does it matter if your just coin shooting?

32 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

Nothing....... you can set it to whatever you wish.

I will add a little more.

Just recently a Dues 2 ended up in the hands of a VERY experienced detectorist. He noticed that the "discrimination" worked more like a threshold than discrimination.

Personally, on my last beach trip there was some very nasty Black Sand. So, I decided to run discrimination at 27. Several things happened.

First> The effects of black Sand were mitigated much more than running the machine in the factory beach discrimination of  "8"

Second> So every target that was deep and was difficult to identify, I switched back to the factory Disc. mode of "8". In three days, not ONE TARGET was identified in a different way or was identification easier. [it was not harder at "8" or "27" either]

I know three days testing on deep targets is not definitive proof.
But in my opinion so far, there seems to be no difference in detection ability where the discrimination is set at.  HH

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rrnp said:

If you set the discrimination to say 2 or 10. What does it matter if your just coin shooting?   

The manual states, "Increase the discrimination to gradually reject targets with a lower conductivity than the setting. Example: Adjust to 10 to reject items with a target ID lower than 10."

But what I have found is that the discrimination number sets where the iron tone ends. So if the iron volume is set at 1 or higher and you set the discrimination at 10, any TID number below 10 will have the iron tone and everything 10 and above will have a non-ferrous tone. The discrimination point will not blank out anything below that unless you have the iron volume at zero.

However, if you add a second discrimination range for example: 60-80 in the non-ferrous range (10-99), then items with a TID number in the second discrimination range (60-80) will be blanked out and you won't hear them.

So if you're coin shooting, you can set the main discrimiation number up to just below your lowest coin TID number and set the iron volume to zero and you won't hear anythig below that coin TID number.

Of course that is not really recommended because you will miss good tagets like gold with TID numbers below your discrimination cut-off. Even coins can have their TID number lowered by mineralization and iron pollution in the ground, so use discrimination with care.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

But what I have found is that the discrimination number sets where the iron tone ends. So if you set the discrimination at 10, any TID number below 10 will have the iron tone and everything 10 and above will have a non-ferrous tone. The discrimination point will not blank out anything below that unless you have the iron volume at zero.

Yes, this is a great point I did not explain.
Also my terminology of threshold is not in historical regards. But raising the discrimination just moves the iron bin. That might be a better explanation. 

I ran the disc. at 27 with the combination of the iron volume at "1" 

• Like 3