Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

Steve (Gigmaster) does a lot of jewelry recovery in neck high saltwater surf and snorkeling for people that have lost their jewelry. So, his Equinoxes have been in some rough saltwater conditions in moderate surf and tidal pressure. Who knows, maybe that has had something to do with the cracking around the charging ports of his Noxes especially if there is a weakness or thin area in the housing around that port.

• Like 1

Don't understand M/L's silence on this issue.  Afraid to improve it because everyone with an older unit will claim product defect and demand replacement or sue?  To keep replacing drowned units has to be losing battle financially and reputation wise.  Maybe I'm nuts but If the M-core takes off well the nox may be fazed out by offering a "trade in" or just dropped by claiming they need to "restructure".

• Like 1

I doubt that the Manticore will ever come anywhere near the sales success of the Equinox. The Nox was so successful because it was the first lightweight SMF detector for under $1,000. Once you get over a grand (or $1,599 in this case) a lot of people are going to think twice… Especially if it’s just a modest upgrade over what they already have.

• Like 6

I am not a submerged saltwater beach hunter so I have no reason to really want a Manticore.

However, compared to the Equinox 800 in its stock configuration, if the Manticore absolutely does not leak, has a shaft/coil attachment system that works well submerged and in surf (doesn't need all sorts of expensive modifications) and actually out performs the Equinox in saltwater conditions, it might sell very well for serious beach/water hunters that don't want to spend $300 on Equinox water hunting mods (and it still might leak) or don't want to spend an equal amount on Deus 2 water hunting mods.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Great video, Jeff. I saw his earlier video last year I think where he did the dry ice test to show that and the cracks that occured around the charge port. I have dunked mine several times in fresh and salt water and never had a problem, but i've never dived with it. I wonder if the plastic cracking problem is more a result constant exposure to the salt water and hot sun that the beach hunters detect in. Hopefully the M-Core has a tougher plastic case than the (what looks like ABS) plastic on the back of the Nox.

• Like 1

I don’t have any cracks around my charging port either... I suspect it’s the added torque on the pod while sweeping when submerged. When beach hunting, I use my Nox until the water level gets up to the pod, then I switch over to the Excal for full underwater use.

• Like 3

I think the cracks are more likely from pressure changes than anything.  Maybe their mold had thinner plastic around the charging port or just required thicker plastic there for the indent.  Unfortunately only time and use would show such a problem so wouldn't be picked up in pre-release testing.  It is a shame they're not proactive at fixing these problems though, as soon as they knew it was there they should have revised the build so later sold units don't have the problem which is extremely normal in manufacturing.  Minelab as demonstrated by the coil ears just keep on pumping them out with known issues for the life of the product.   

I suspect their reason for this is they don't want to have to replace a large number of units that people "cause" the problem to get the new revised version.   They'd rather replace them as they fail, with no motivation for people to cause the problem as the replacement will be no better than their original.  They'll only do in place modifications to detectors coming out of the production line if the customers have no way of knowing they're different to the primary release.

I didn't post the video to bash Minelab. Neither did Gigmaster. 

Sure, I wish Minelab would talk to their loyal and potential customers about things like this........they don't and I can accept that.

I do hope, like Gigmaster mentioned repeatedly, that the Manticore won't crack and leak in the same area. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster