Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

16 hours ago, midalake said:

Heat from the charging port??????????

Nope, there's not enough voltage or current to cause heat in the charging port connectors unless they were extremely corroded and shorting across the leads. But still it's only 5 volts and 1 Amp or less of DC current, so that's still highly unlikely. Any heat produced would be in the charging circuitboard and battery.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

Jeff your a fantastic contributor and i learn a lot from your posts but this i don't buy ..

"I didn't post the video to bash Minelab. Neither did Gigmaster." 

"Sure, I wish Minelab would talk to their loyal and potential customers about things like this........they don't and I can accept that."   Accept?  Lately EXPECT would be more appropriate .  They will talk about it and send you a new pod for X amount of money Out of warranty or a free one under warranty.  The housing or what ever is defective.  Maybe it would be cheaper to put it in the Mcore pod variation if its so great and solve a never ending headache.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, strick said:

No cracks...one of the first ones made and use it in the water all the time....got lucky I guess

strick

Ditto. Nox 800 received in Feb. 2018. Submerged in fresh & saltwater many times. No leaks, no port cracking.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 12:33 AM, NAGANT said:

Jeff your a fantastic contributor and i learn a lot from your posts but this i don't buy ..

"I didn't post the video to bash Minelab. Neither did Gigmaster." 

"Sure, I wish Minelab would talk to their loyal and potential customers about things like this........they don't and I can accept that."   Accept?  Lately EXPECT would be more appropriate .  They will talk about it and send you a new pod for X amount of money Out of warranty or a free one under warranty.  The housing or what ever is defective.  Maybe it would be cheaper to put it in the Mcore pod variation if its so great and solve a never ending headache.  

What do you not buy about it........

I like the Equinox. It has found me more gold nuggets and gold jewelry than any other VLF times at least 20......

Mine hasn't leaked, others have. Why would I bash a detector that works well for most people and for me? Why would I post a video about the Equinox leaking on camera for any other reason than to show where it is leaking so owners can check their Equinox.

If you want to go after Minelab.....and the Equinox, feel free under the appropriate forum topic.

As far as accepting that Minelab will probably never release an official statement about the Equinox leaking issue or the coil ears breaking issue.....its been over 4 years and crickets. If I owned Minelab, I would have released an official statement. I don't.

Instead of thinking negatively about it or complaining for the last 4 years, I have just enjoyed using my Equinox detectors and have especially enjoyed what they have found. I enjoy sunshine too....sometimes I wish the sun rose in the west but I have accepted the fact that it doesn't. 

• Like 6

Abide, to bear patiently.  That's where I've been on this.  Don't follow the bashing, unending comparison stuff.  Occasionally a stick pokes my eye.  The minelab wall of denial is one.  Reminds my of an episode of the monkey's tv show.  They go to a store and complain about something and the clerk points to a door with Complaint dept on it. They open it and are instantly outside in the alley  with the door locked behind them. 

• Haha 2

Not sure where Gigmaster came up with the idea but it certainly revealed where it was leaking at. Cudos to him for that. It sure seems odd that some have cracks and some don’t. Who knows. What it does do is give you a place to keep an eye on. So, what do ya do if you see cracks besides the obvious don’t submerge it. Seems it should be a warranty issue if you still have any left.

• Like 2

Gigmaster had an excellent demonstration.  I've had my 800 for 4 1/2 yrs.  Freshwater hunting included. No leaks thus far but i did have a good look with a magnifying glass around the charge port.  Mine looks good. (knock on wood) My 800 has been a great detector for me. (except for the money i wasted on the Minelab waterproof headphones)

I have the understanding that an out of warranty failed Equinox 800 control head and $350 will get you a new one from Minelab since they are not repairable. Gigmaster was talking about chopping a failed 800 open to have a look see inside. I was thinking Noooooo! don't do it.    Have i been told wrong?

Rich -

7 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Gigmaster had an excellent demonstration.  I've had my 800 for 4 1/2 yrs.  Freshwater hunting included. No leaks thus far but i did have a good look with a magnifying glass around the charge port.  Mine looks good. (knock on wood) My 800 has been a great detector for me. (except for the money i wasted on the Minelab waterproof headphones)

I have the understanding that an out of warranty failed Equinox 800 control head and $350 will get you a new one from Minelab since they are not repairable. Gigmaster was talking about chopping a failed 800 open to have a look see inside. I was thinking Noooooo! don't do it.    Have i been told wrong?

Rich -

Rich, I had good luck with mine as well although I never submerged it. Rain was the worst it saw. 
  I don’t have any Knowledge at all about trading in an out of warranty head unit. Sorry.