Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

You can tell the head of the unit is not exactly the same as the Equinox. Seeing the issues the Equinox had it would have been in Minelab's best interest to solve all issues before releasing the Manticore. For a device to get a rating does it not have to be tested by an outside company? I think the "will it leak video" was uncalled for. Gigmaster is a content maker regardless of how good or helpful his videos are. My issue is this one was made to garner hits. He couldn't make a speculation video about will the coil ears break. I like most people would expect the leak issue was also solved.

Yes, IP ratings are certified by independent testing companies, I don't see any IP rating on my Nox box.  They just say how waterproof they have determined it to be, it's not certified.

• Like 2

The IEC who created the IP system for enclosues does not test units but provides a general guideline for testers without setting exact levels for requirements for certification. It is generally up to the manufacturer and the testing organization to set the generally accepted values based on globally accepted values for each catagory. The generally accepted value for IP 68 certification is the enclosure must prevent the intrusion of dust and be water tight to 1.5 meters (4.92 feet) for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Anything beyond that level is considered rated at IP68 until the unit can resist extreme pressure which will level it up to IP69.

So what does IP 68 rating really mean? Well you can safely keep your IP68 rated device under water less than 5 feet deep for up to 30-60 minutes. Anything beyond that is not really guaranteed to prevent water ingress it's but up to the manufacturer to declare what they consider to be the maximum immersion depth and time based on the testing results.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, longbow62 said:

You can tell the head of the unit is not exactly the same as the Equinox. Seeing the issues the Equinox had it would have been in Minelab's best interest to solve all issues before releasing the Manticore. For a device to get a rating does it not have to be tested by an outside company? I think the "will it leak video" was uncalled for. Gigmaster is a content maker regardless of how good or helpful his videos are. My issue is this one was made to garner hits. He couldn't make a speculation video about will the coil ears break. I like most people would expect the leak issue was also solved.

The whole reason for Gig’s video was the similarity between the Equinox and Manticore charging port appearance and position on both control pods. All of his Nox control pods have leaked due to cracks in that area. That is all there is to Gig’s video. He is just asking a logical question about the Manticore based on his Equinox experience. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 3:35 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Steve (Gigmaster) does a lot of jewelry recovery in neck high saltwater surf and snorkeling for people that have lost their jewelry. So, his Equinoxes have been in some rough saltwater conditions in moderate surf and tidal pressure. Who knows, maybe that has had something to do with the cracking around the charging ports of his Noxes especially if there is a weakness or thin area in the housing around that port.

I know Steve very well and have done many spins with and around him. As a matter of fact I spent some time on the beach with him yesterday. He hardly ever ventures more than waste deep and only a few shallow water dives yearly. I am more prone to think that poor contact on the charging port creates heat that may affect the cracking. Also I would say world wide more than a thousand flooded machines have taken place vs the actual number of water hunters is alarming. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The whole reason for Gig’s video was the similarity between the Equinox and Manticore charging port appearance and position on both control pods. All of his Nox control pods have leaked due to cracks in that area. That is all there is to Gig’s video. He is just asking a logical question about the Manticore based on his Equinox experience. 

Jeff,

I completely agree with you.  And I can assure anyone who cares to listen that I know the Gigmaster personally and he would never make a video to "garner hits."  He asked a logical question based on his experience and the design similarity of the Manitore.

• Like 2

Jeff-I'm glad you posted the link and that Gig made the video. I had no idea about the reason for the leaks so now when I get to my beach location, I am going to check both Eq's before using them in the water. We haven't used them for diving due to being worried about leaking and have only used them waste deep. To say that the video is uncalled for is silly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matt said:

Jeff-I'm glad you posted the link and that Gig made the video. I had no idea about the reason for the leaks so now when I get to my beach location, I am going to check both Eq's before using them in the water. We haven't used them for diving due to being worried about leaking and have only used them waste deep. To say that the video is uncalled for is silly.

I thought Steve's video was important enough to post it here since this is a very Equinox "friendly" forum while also being the USA forum with the most varied, "hands on", in the field information about the Equinox from beginner users to regular users like most of us to world-class experts.

To actually see a control unit leaking from a specific spot on camera is good information to know. As long as the Equinox is being sold and used it would be a really good idea to keep an eye on the charging port and to keep it and the cable contacts clean just to be sure.

Like some have said, it could be heat build up at the port during poor connections, it could be Steve's (and others) specific hunting conditions and it could be a bad batch of rear housing plastic........

Equinox could leak from other places too.......

If I buy a used Manticore down the road, that port will be one of the first things I check......

• Like 2