Manticore...... Will It Leak Video From Gigmaster

Gigmaster has 29K subscribers and a little over 2,000 plus videos in 7 years. To say he does not want hits is ridiculous. He has a lot of uploads. As a comparison. The Hoover Boys 113K subscribers 532 videos in 7 years.

I find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it. You would think the replacement units would have been spread out over time so it wouldn't be a bad batch of plastic. One crack extends all the way to the wired headphone connection port in his photo. I can't imagine plastic cracking on it's own without being overly stressed in some way. What he is doing to stress that area I have no idea.

I have kept my 2018 Nox 800 in a hot or freezing vehicle for days on end. I have charged that unit constantly putting on and removing the charging cord probably well above the number of times the average user would. I looked at mine last evening taking a photo and enlarged it not seeing the faintest issue around the charge port. In fact Gigmaster is only guy I have heard complain about the problem. I Googeled "Minelab Equinox charging port cracks" and only get stuff related to what he posted. He also made videos about the Nox leaking around where the handle attached to the rod and battery compartment, and how to enhance the waterproofing around that potential water ingress point.

I still think it's a stretch to assume or worry about the Manticore having leaking problems before it's in the hands of users just because it charges the same way as the Equinox. I still think he sits around thinking about topics he can use to up his YouTube content.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it. You would think the replacement units would have been spread out over time so it wouldn't be a bad batch of plastic.

It leads one to think doesn't it?  It was said earlier there is not enough heat for the charger to create cracks...One thing that is not a constant in the equation is that the Nox does not come with a charger.....we all have to supply our own charger. could the charger he is using be the problem? Are we sure that it is not a temperature related problem? another thing to consider...could water ingress into the battery compartment create the extra heat to crack the charging port...maybe the charging port is not actually where the water ingress occurred but a after fact of trying to charge the detector that has been flooded....just thinking out loud here.

strick 

• Like 1

I give up. I posted this video to let others know that if your Equinox has some cracks around the charging port area it very well may leak there if submerged. If you or I get a Manticore someday......keep an eye on that port.

So, I don't watch all of Gigmaster's content....not into crab and shrimp....shellfish allergy and I don't like to watch a ton of Youtube videos anyway.

I do love the Equinox.....still my favorite detector even though it has plenty of flaws.

Gig loves his Equinoxes too or he wouldn't have stuck with them through all of their water ingress and coil ear failures....no matter what anybody says, the Equinox will definitely find the goods if one knows how to use it.

Steve says in this video that he really hopes the Manticore won't leak. Why does he say that? Again, he really loves the Equinox and he also says he just wants to use one detector model and learn it really well instead of having to use three different ones (Nox, Deus 2 and Legend currently). All three have had and are having problems that are ongoing for him from major to minor. The type of hunting he does is not nice to detectors. 

After just a quick count of regularly posting members here who have experienced Nox leaks once or multiple times....11 members Longbow. You and I are luckily not among those 11. There are undoubtedly more that I could find on this forum if I wanted to spend hours looking. The Nox Leaking videos are not all produced by Gigmaster. A quick, 30 second long, YouTube search produced 5 more content creators.

There are metal detector YouTube creators that only make a handful of videos in their lifetime like me who are just trying to make something I can post on a forum or send to a manufacturer. There are others like Gigmaster that may be making YouTube videos as part of their metal detecting hobby. They aren't out to prove anything or proclaim what metal detector is best. Most of Steve's videos are more like beach metal detecting journals and how too videos for mods and techniques. 

So, I don't get whatever animosity is pointed at Steve for whatever reason. He is one of the normal/good guys in my opinion that does this for fun and tries to make it fun and informative for his viewers too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

find 4 machines that have cracked around the charging port to be really strange. 4 machines that have leaked owned by the same user most likely has something to do with the user doing something that causes it.

I think you are adding fuel to the fire. The only person I have heard that said Gigmaster had four Equinox’s that leaked is you ! He says he owns four machines and he loves them but nowhere does he say all four leaked. Maybe pay a little more attention before you comment.

23 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I think you are adding fuel to the fire. The only person I have heard that said Gigmaster had four Equinox’s that leaked is you ! He says he owns four machines and he loves them but nowhere does he say all four leaked. Maybe pay a little more attention before you comment.

Hi Carolina, Longbow may be going off my information which as you know is certainly fallible. I was under the impression that Steve has had multiple Equinox leaks and has even had replacements leak. He states in this video that he will not use any of his Equinox detectors for submerged detecting anymore because he does not trust them.

Longbow is a good guy too. I think he is wrong about Steve however. But let's try to be as civil as possible here please. Maybe John Boy will chime in here too. I think he is a member.

It certainly is an interesting leak location and more likely the molded plastic thinned to make the shape of the port and was weaker because of that than the tiny little USB current heating it up causing cracking, don't know if you've ever accidentally dropped a soldering iron on some of that plastic but it doesn't crack, it goes soft and flexible.

Has anyone else ever indicated that's the spot where theirs leaked? Is it a common leak location or was this guy just really unlucky.  Looking at his charging port you don't need any special magic tricks to see the cracks they were very obvious.  Surely people that have a leaking detector have a look over it and see where the water got in if they can find the spot.

A lot of rumours circulate around it being the speaker that leaks and some water hunters sealing up the speaker to try prevent it, not sure if that is a good idea, the speaker could also be the air pressure release location.

The way I see it is it's in Minelab's interest to fix any leaking issues the Nox had on the Mandible, 3 years of warranty claims on leaking detectors not only isn't a good look but must be costly for them.  They've had hundreds or thousands of leaked Noxes sent into them to inspect so surely they've worked out the leak failure points and improved upon them.

I take a different approach, its innocent until proven guilty, at this stage the Mandible doesn't leak, so I'm not concerned about it, if I decide I will be concerned about it all I'll do is wait 6 or so months after release and see what faults people are reporting as no doubt most the faults reported will be there for the life of the product, Minelab don't seem to like fixing things.

All I am saying is mentioning the word leaking when associated with the Manticore just because the Equinox had leak problems is a stretch.  Obviously Minelab has addressed the coil ear breakage with a newly designed coil. A little common sense would tell you they more than likely addressed the leak problems associated with the Equinox. It's actually given a rating of IP68. Minelab states it's good to 16ft. this time.

Lets look at the Manticore. Visually it's similar to the Equinox, but everything is different. Not one part structurally is the same as the Equinox. The guy I believe his name is Mark has said in one of the first videos I saw about the Manticore something to the effect this is not an Equinox.

I have nothing against Gigmaster at all. I've watched some of his videos. It's still barely a free country the last I checked and he can post as many videos and speculate all he wants about any machine he wants. I may be lumping him in with folks who make money off posting videos and desire hits. He has made a lot of videos. Not all about metal detecting, but a lot of videos period. Again I have nothing against him. 

• Like 3

As he say's in video the cracks are it the housing around the port. The Mannacoin housing looks beefed up and I'd bet a merc it's not going to be an issue under normal use.  Man the gigmaster really put that EQ thru the mill!  Looks like he detects during sand storms.  😀

9 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Longbow is a good guy too. I think he is wrong about Steve however. But let's try to be as civil as possible here please. Maybe John Boy will chime in here too. I think he is a member.

I think I have been civil. I am a little offended by your comment though. I live five mins. away from Gig. I have shown him these post. I’m sure it has hurt his feelings some. He only showed the truth. Did the machine leak in your opinion around the charging port ? That is all he was showing. Nothing more, nothing less. How can you tell me to be civil and not say the same thing to Lonngbow ? He all but slandered the man. I guess I’m not being civil now. One thing for sure, your name is Jeff, not Steve and you are not the moderator so judging me from your point is not civil. Sorry but you have upset me. I will not comment anymore on this topic. You guys can slug it out.

32 minutes ago, Carolina said:

I think I have been civil. I am a little offended by your comment though. I live five mins. away from Gig. I have shown him these post. I’m sure it has hurt his feelings some. He only showed the truth. Did the machine leak in your opinion around the charging port ? That is all he was showing. Nothing more, nothing less. How can you tell me to be civil and not say the same thing to Lonngbow ? He all but slandered the man. I guess I’m not being civil now. One thing for sure, your name is Jeff, not Steve and you are not the moderator so judging me from your point is not civil. Sorry but you have upset me. I will not comment anymore on this topic. You guys can slug it out.

It is not the first time I have offended you. For that I am sorry and I wish that hadn't happened.

I just posted this video to help Equinox owners and potential Manticore owners. I also posted it because I really like Steve's videos since he always tries to keep things upbeat and positive even when he is demonstrating a detector issue like the one in the video that was posted here by me. I am sorry I posted it and sorry you are offended and sorry that Steve may be too. That certainly was not what I had in mind when I posted Steve's excellent video.

BTW, I said in a previous post that I think Longbow62 is wrong about Steve. In fact, I know Longbow62 is wrong about Steve.....

• Like 1