GPX 6000 Coil Cracks

4 hours ago, Aureous said:

The crack can be fixed (if you have a good coil and don't want to take a gamble on the replacement being worse) by simply buying a small amount of MEK or Acetone and cutting small pieces from an ice cream container (white of course) or obtaining scrap propylene from elsewhere and mixing the 2 together in a glass jar for a few hours. The resulting paste can be used as a repair glue by forcibly smearing it into the crack, with a smooth over-cover to reinforce. It sets and seals within an hour or two.

Aureous the paste the you mention, we used to reseal the coil after repairing the shielding in the coils to stick the base and top back together. Always handy to have in your detecting kit when out prospecting away from home.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

Aureous the paste the you mention, we used to reseal the coil after repairing the shielding in the coils to stick the base and top back together.

Yes, a lot of new coils were/are sealed that way. Obviously, if your coil shell is made from ABS, you'll want to use small pieces of the same plastic dissolved in the MEK or Acetone. Yes, a good idea to have some handy in your repair kit at all times 😊

7 hours ago, Jennifer said:

were resolved with the release of the GPX-4600, GPX-5100, SDC-2400, and a GPZ 7100?

Hi Jen.  I see your point but will point out that amendments have been made to the SDC - changed battery type as original compartment was no good in some and a couple of other things I can’t remember. And the GPZ had several updates and the ferrite ring added. 

Other GPX configurations were before my time so no idea if changes were made.  

None of the above may have resulted in an actual V2 but tweaks were made.  Although, I sort of view the Manticore as Equinox 2.0

The GPX 6000 coil issues have been addressed - at least that’s what I’ve been told and have no reason not to believe. 

The EMI and unstable speaker may be addressed with a future update, of which there are rumours about.  We will wait and see.  

Nokta, Deus, Minelab - every new detector release seems to have some issues.  Unfortunately with the GPX 6000 there were too many but as previously mentioned, at least Minelab make things right for the individual. 

I’ve been out this afternoon and found another 5 small pieces of gold with the 11” (and 200 nails 🙄) so I am in a real conundrum re: what to do.   I think  it will get sent in but after the weekend  😉

40 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Where did you hear rumors on the speaker/EMI update?

To be honest I can’t remember - here or Prospecting Australia as they are the only 2 forums I’m on.  
It was an ‘update’ in general.  I have no idea what it will actually fix or change and even if the EMI/speaker issues can be fixed by an update  🤷🏼‍♂️

The speaker placement sure can’t!!  

Edit: 4th post from the top here https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/axiom-release-in-aust.40125/#post-653037

Like I said, just a rumour 👍🏻

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Northeast said:

Hi Jen.  I see your point but will point out that amendments have been made to the SDC - changed battery type as original compartment was no good in some and a couple of other things I can’t remember. And the GPZ had several updates and the ferrite ring added. 

Other GPX configurations were before my time so no idea if changes were made.  

None of the above may have resulted in an actual V2 but tweaks were made.  Although, I sort of view the Manticore as Equinox 2.0

The GPX 6000 coil issues have been addressed - at least that’s what I’ve been told and have no reason not to believe. 

The EMI and unstable speaker may be addressed with a future update, of which there are rumours about.  We will wait and see.  

Nokta, Deus, Minelab - every new detector release seems to have some issues.  Unfortunately with the GPX 6000 there were too many but as previously mentioned, at least Minelab make things right for the individual. 

I’ve been out this afternoon and found another 5 small pieces of gold with the 11” (and 200 nails 🙄) so I am in a real conundrum re: what to do.   I think  it will get sent in but after the weekend  😉

Changing a battery type or even adding the knuckle protector and cuff cover in no way compares to failures we’ve seen with the 6. We’ve experienced actual problems making the unit unusable to many, the items you mentioned are nice to have upgrades they can mail you to install, Minelab can’t mail you an EMI fix for the 6k.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

Changing a battery type or even adding the knuckle protector and cuff cover in no way compares to failures we’ve seen with the 6. We’ve experienced actual problems making the unit unusable to many, the items you mentioned are nice to have upgrades they can mail you to install, Minelab can’t mail you an EMI fix for the 6k.

I think they could, the hardware is in place, they just need the right engineers to fix/update the software.  When has Bruce Candy ever let us down?

Now things like cam locks or broken plastic is a different story.

What I am afraid of is if they do “update” the 6k for EMI issues will it lose it awesome sensitivity and become nothing more than a lightweight 5k.  That would not make me happy.  I personally think a smaller DD coil would solve a lot of “my” problems.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me at least the key to working out I had a faulty coil and it wasn't just an unstable machine due to EMI in my area was the noise cancel.  It often made it worse, more often than not really.  I used to say the noise cancel does nothing, just a random channel switch as I was under the belief the noise cancel didn't seek out clean channels as most times I used it the problem was worse.  Since getting a new coil I haven't had this problem.  Yes of course I still have EMI problems, that's a GPX for you, all 3 of my GPX detectors suck in EMI, the 5000 is actually the best in EMI out of them.   The DD coil virtually solves the EMI problems though so there is an option, a smaller DD would be great.

There is no software update going to fix all the dodgy coils or hardware faults which has expanded from detector faults, shaft faults, coil faults with stability, coil faults with outright coil errors and now coil ears to add to the long list of potential problems.  The stability problems seem to be some people and not others leading me to believe they're hardware, not software.  If it was software everyone would have the problems.

Keep in mind if you do your own repair to the coil ears and the coil fails for another reason they can void the warranty on it, I doubt they would be that evil but it is possible they can void warranty.  They didn't void warranty on people putting coil ear stiffeners on the weak Nox ears trying to stop them breaking from what I've seen.

• Like 3

If there isn't some kind of hardware issue pertaining to both EMI and the speaker, then I'll eat my shoe. :smile: I've been saying there is a problem there since the first day I used a 6000. Not to complain, but because it's real and it needs to be fixed. It affects a number of 6000's too because every 6000's I've been around in the field has similar issues when used in the same locations, but these were all machines bought early on too. 

IMO they need both a hardware fix and a firmware upgrade to get the 6000 performing on par with the Axiom, vis a vis EMI/stability issues. We will see. 

*Just looked at my 11" and it has two tiny hairline cracks developing on the ears. My shaft yet remains strong and not twisting unduly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am scared to look at my coil ear lugs now. Coil runs fine, so far, touch wood. But nervous every time I go out now, waiting for something to happen. I don't appear to have the speaker cause any issues. I use the head phones most of the time but have on the odd occasion forgotten to pack the head phones & so been forced to use the speaker with no ill effects.

I am very nervous of the light weight construction & feel of the shaft, flex, & the coil & I am not really surprised that the lugs would crack. The shaft/coil connection gets a total workout all the time & is really the weak link in a chain that needs to be a bit more robust. These kind of issues are no more than the result of going light weight & sacrificing structural integrity.  Doomed to fail over time. Not good for a detector that here in New Zealand is $9k. My GPZ 7000 is solid as a rock after all the years I have owned it, & I got it 2nd hand. I am on to my third skid plate but coil still going strong. 

Interesting to note that a replacement coil warranty just picks up where the old one left off & doesn't start with a fresh 3 year warranty from time of issue. Well that's how I read it. 

D4G

• Like 1