A Bit Of B.c. History

mn90403

This place reminds me of a small-scale Ballarat.  Do we have any Canadians on the forums?

B.C. history brought to life in Gold Rush town of Barkerville - Victoria Times Colonist

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

That’s a great read Mitchel. 

And yes, very much like Sovereign Hill at Ballarat.  

This is a crazy amount of gold 😮

In total four tons of gold were taken from a three km. (2 mile) stretch of Williams Creek.”

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

Lanny is Canuk....  He mines over in BC and I'm sure he'll be able to add to the subject if/when he reads the post...????

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

During the Cariboo gold rush, Barkerville was actually the largest city west of Chicago and north of San Fran. I'm going to be doing research in their archives in a couple of weeks. That, and walking some potential ground. Hopefully no snow and a bit of detecting as well. 

• Like 3

British Columbia is where I spend most of my time chasing the gold. Great gold rush history in multiple places, and B.C. is known for its nuggety gold.

The monster nuggets are up around Atlin, in northern British Columbia, also the site of a long ago gold rush.

B.C. is a continuing series of mountain ranges heading east to west across the province, lots of places to get lost in, lots of things still to be discovered, and the vastness of the wilderness places still intact boggles the mind.

All the best, and thanks for the link,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ah, Atlin. Would like to get there some day, one of my friends grew up there. Another buddy is currently checking out a property he bought near Germansen Landing - not so far north as Atlin, but similarly remote and challenging. 

• Like 2