Ws6 Puckmaster Acting Strange

brys

out on sunday i get these good tids and audio so began to dig but after 15 mins found nothing there

using prog 6    gb at 86     non ferous shown

and notched  0 to 30 but was getting 00s and 04s on the screen sometimes ...  is that right   i would have thought they were    nulled  and shouldnt be there

will go back with d1 and bigger coil to check it as the     tids looked promising in the 70s to 80s  ,was expecting some silver coins under the soil

the ground was hard clay with no minerals in a woody area ,it had fissures as it was    very hard  ...i thought maybe deeper targets  out of range maybe ..back there with the d1 and bigger coil  using sonar prog to be sure

• 2 weeks later...

went back and checked it with the d1 and tids are accurate at 98 99,so back  with the big shovel as it seems deep over 12 inches ,but still could be steel items or canslaw at 99 ..xy screen not exactly sure as its a tiny circle on the screen on the axis

If you discriminate 0-30, anything with numbers from 0-30 will be displayed but have an iron tone or be silent if your iron tone is set to 0.

For deep targets, you may need to zoom up your x-y screen value to a higher number, however the X-Y is generally less effective on deeper targets.

43 minutes ago, brys said:

d2 is as bad as d1 on iding rusty steel ,thats some thing that needs to be improved on updates

all the detectors are bad on big rusty steel at depth .. especially when the steel has a ring shape .

A pinpointer with a discrimination like the ML profind 35 or the Quest Xpointer Max can help to id the iron without having to extract or even to see the target 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brys said:

d2 is as bad as d1 on iding rusty steel ,thats some thing that needs to be improved on updates

Well, as a general statement, I have personally NOT found that to be true.  The various filter options on the D2 including silencer (which is Default = 0 in the program you were using) and B-CAP reject are extremely useful in ferreting out ferrous falsing and are superior to what I had on my D1 which is going to be sold eventually.  I don't like to keep those filters engaged for general searching when I am going for max depth, but I certainly have them set up in adjacent programs so that I can quickly interrogate target response using the plus/minus keys.  D2 (and D1) allow me to quickly shift between my main search program (set up for the conditions at hand) and my adjacent target interrogation programs that I use on iffy signals.  No other detector I own is set up to enable shifting between custom programs with such ease. 

Also, why you do you have Notch set up for 00 - 30 when you have Disc at default set at 7 in Program 6.  You should have notch at 7 to 30 instead to enable disc and notch to separately do their things (probably doesn't factor into this situation, but just good general practice if you are notching).  Finally, the X-Y screen does very little for me vs. D2 audio - which contains a lot more subtle target information than anything the D2 provides visually.  I utilize the BIG NUMBER TID screen which also includes the Ferrous/Non-Ferrous horseshoe.  How the horseshoe fills up the ferrous and non-ferrous bars while sweeping and turning on the target (as well as telltale audio) tell me a lot (and you need disc set up properly to take advantage of it - most of the preset Program disc defaults are set up to make the horseshoe effective). 

Speaking of audio, and more specifically tones, the 2-Tone default setup on Program 6, Deep HC can be improved upon by using Pitch Audio, especially since you are basically notching out all small non-ferrous (<30 TID) and seem to be going after high conductive silver.  I use basically 2 different tone modes.  I use Pitch for searching (still gives me iron audio with discrimination set at anything higher than -6) and I use full tones for target interrogation.  The expressiveness of full tones better helps me to hear non-symmetric shaped targets (i.e., can slaw, iron junk, anything not circular or ring shaped) better.  Again, I use full tones as a target discriminator after target acquisition, not as a search mode tone setting.  I find the expressive audio of full tones tells me audibly A LOT more about an unrecovered target than the XY screen does, visually.

There are other obvious clues in your situation that trick less experienced detectorists but that you appeared to bite on - the 98-99 TID for example.  Unless I was specifically looking for a KNOWN silver cache, that would have told me iron wraparound straight away (I also don't understand why you said the D1 98-99 basically confirmed the "good" 70's to 80's TIDs you were getting on the D2).  I call that the 98-99% iron wraparound TID combo, because it is almost certainly big iron rather than a massive high conductor.   The SONAR program is also not something I would use for depth or target interrogation.  It is designed for picking shallower targets out of thick iron.  It utilizes NO discrimination (at least if you are using Gary's defaults) therefore it doesn't facilitate use of the visual horseshoe or XY screens which are less accurate and stable without at least some disc set in (which also helps with falsing).  Also, it utilizes a relatively high reactivity setting, also not great for depth.  Bottom line, if you were actually getting a reading, and 15 minutes of digging indicated deep, then again - likely big iron on not cached silver.

The fact that you were digging for 15 minutes, another clue.  As recommended earlier, a pinpointer with iron tone (I like the Quest Xpointer) would tell you are headed for big iron before you got there.  Another clue is using the built-in pinpointer to "trace" the target footprint.  Granted you were looking for a cache of silver, I guess.  But if I am just looking for coins then a bigger "footprint" would indicate big iron or a buried pipe.  Context matters too.  I know I am not going to find a big silver cache in a modern school or park, especially one that has been hit by other detectorists, so when I do hit that big footprint signal in that context, I just move on and don't waste my time.  

Positive outlook and attitude help as well.  Your posts generally come across with a negative vibe, for some reason.  I use both the Equinox and D2 and sometimes one just disappoints no matter what.  I find if I am having a  REALLY bad day, digging junk and getting skunked, simply switching off to another detector to "change things up" helps get the detecting mojo working, as long as the site DOES have keepers to give up.  If D2 is not getting it done, and you have more familiarity and expertise with another detector, go ahead and switch it up.  Its just psychological, but often simply helps you get into the right mindset to hear what the detector is telling you.  The only time I don't readily switch it up is when I am trying to learn a new detector.  I force myself to put a couple hundred hours in with the new rig so that I don't fall back on "ol' reliable" and halt my opportunity to learn what the new detector is telling me.

Hope these pointers help you on your next dig.

• Like 3

in the uk pure silver items are possible to find and they register 99 on the tid, i have ingots of pure siler that are 99

and other silveware can be 99

esp viking finds which were found not far from where i am searching ingots and coins

• Like 1