Manticore Goldfields Mode Discussion

39 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's on the top of my need to know list too, but the real question is can I wait until someone in my Rocky Mountain area gets one and reports their experiences? 😏

Well, you've got some good candidates, one in your state and some more further West.  I myself have a few out there I'm very interested in hearing from (and likely our wish lists overlap 😄).

39 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Maybe, but that will be sometime next year for sure.

Don't think I'd go so far as to say "for sure", but first they have to release it (potential gotcha) and then one of our reliable Rocky Mountain USA detectorists has to get one, test it out, and report it.  Weather can have an effect although some of those guys are pretty tough, you know, like the Mountain Men😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Don't think I'd go so far as to say "for sure", but first they have to release it (potential gotcha) and then one of our reliable Rocky Mountain USA detectorists has to get one, test it out, and report it.  Weather can have an effect although some of those guys are pretty tough, you know, like the Mountain Men😉

For the last few years in Colorado, I've been able to detect throughout the winter until February. Then the ground turns to frozen stone and my fingers stick to my digger and I'll have to hole up for few weeks until things thaw out a bit. 🥶

• Like 1

I’m not seeing how the target trace would really work for gold nugget detecting...what’s going to happen when there are tiny hot rocks everywhere with mixed in bird shot?  Does the screen show 10 black dots floating around all over the place? Pick the one closest to the middle? Yea seems like they have skipped over the gold mode function deliberately for some reason. 

Strick

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:22 AM, strick said:

Yea seems like they have skipped over the gold mode function deliberately for some reason. 

Yes... To steer you to buy one of their dedicated gold machines. At least for me as a nugget hunter I would have a dedicated gold detector. I have used a VLF solely for finding the leftover bits and wire gold in a known gold patch.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, mn90403 said:

I found the quote here:

Apart from Steve's work on the Equinox, the Equinox was not aimed at gold prospectors either from the way it was introduced,  initially marketed and is still marketed today. This is why so many people still come to this forum just to ask or find out if the Gold Monster 1000 is the best VLF option of gold prospecting compared to other detectors. Most, don't even know about the Equinox unless they spend some time here.  

It’s unlikely that anyone will feel like they have taken a step backwards anywhere as comparing Equinox to Manticore. Well, except coil selection. Hopefully it’s not a three year wait for more coils this time, but that is something to consider. At absolute worst, when it comes to capability, you should be no worse off with Manticore. At best, there will be advantages, including with Gold Mode. At a minimum, more power to the coil translates to enhanced small gold capability. But there are always caveats, as in the form of enhanced small hot rock sensitivity. By it’s nature more power to the coil equates to the best performance enhancements in the mildest ground. So Florida white sand or neutral turf hunters get the biggest boost. Conversely, gains in extreme soils can be nil to none, as more power simply saturates the signal faster, calling for reduced sensitivity.

The only reason I’m playing hard to get with Manticore is I am well invested in Nox custom rods and coils, and VLF usage is quite minimal for me anyway. This year over 95% of my detecting time is with PI, and that’s not likely to change anytime soon. So I can afford to sit back and see how the coil situation with Manticore plays out, plus pass on the all but inevitable bug fix phase. But it’s coils more than anything that I’d like to see before I get all hot and bothered over it. The 5x8 looks really nice, but I’m not ready to give up my 6” round or 5x10 Coiltek just yet.

• Like 9

I'll likely get one, I won't be able to resist but it's a tough ask for it to better my 24k or Nox on small gold in my milder soils, or the deep silvers with the CTX and 17x13" coil so I don't really know where it will fit in, it has to better them at something that I'd benefit from or it will not get used all that much after the initial excitement of using it for a while to learn its features and see how it performs.   I guess I'd be satisfied if its just a better build quality Nox with a little bit better performance anywhere but Minelab being Minelab always at the cutting edge of detectors and their big price jump I'm sure it's quite a bit better than a Nox.

Hopefully it can knock something off its perch so I'm not wasting more money on a detector I don't need, done enough of that lately.

I'm struggling to get excited about new detectors as much as I used to, I'm pretty well settled on my Nox, CTX, 24k and GPZ.  They seem to do everything I demand of them well.

The extra power to the coil might be the good thing for me and my small gold in my milder soils and may gain a bit of ground on the CTX for the deep silvers.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2022 at 7:32 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Apart from Steve's work on the Equinox, the Equinox was not aimed at gold prospectors either from the way it was introduced,  initially marketed and is still marketed today. This is why so many people still come to this forum just to ask or find out if the Gold Monster 1000 is the best VLF option of gold prospecting compared to other detectors. Most, don't even know about the Equinox unless they spend some time here.  

My understanding is that Tom D. also had a big hand in the prospecting mode on the Equinox and his gold mode change was what delayed the release by several months.  If I recall correctly I think they were going to have a single freq gold mode, and he got them over the finish line with a SMF gold mode (two actually). 

• Like 1

I don't know much about Tom D, is he a prospector?

I wonder why they'd consider going back to a single frequency gold mode, most use multi for their gold hunting only dropping back to single when they have to usually due to EMI.  I find multi better for sure but I do use 40 or even 20 in high EMI areas especially under power lines.    If I could change anything in gold mode it'd be fixing up it's ability to handle hot rocks to be on par with the 24k which really balances them out well. it can cruise over hot rocks the Nox constantly reacts on and also I would try make it a bit less knock sensitive in high gain again, the 24k has no knock sensitivity at all where as the Nox is quite bump sensitive when cranked right up, not quite as bad as the GM though.  I doubt they can improve sensitivity, it's already fantastic but I'd never be upset if they did 🙂

I'm sure they're saving the best of multi-IQ for the Gold Monster 2000 though possibly incorporating higher frequencies.  I don't think they expected the Nox to be as good as it is for prospecting and it quickly made the GM redundant for most people, not their usual tactic of keeping detectors far enough apart we want both 🙂  I just don't use my GM anymore, just as a pin pointer sometimes as I converted it to a tinyGM ®️ but other than that it spends its life in the cupboard as I can't think of any reason I'd use it over my Nox when looking for gold.

28 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't know much about Tom D, is he a prospector?

I wonder why they'd consider going back to a single frequency gold mode, most use multi for their gold hunting only dropping back to single when they have to usually due to EMI.  I find multi better for sure but I do use 40 or even 20 in high EMI areas especially under power lines.    If I could change anything in gold mode it'd be fixing up it's ability to handle hot rocks to be on par with the 24k which really balances them out well. it can cruise over hot rocks the Nox constantly reacts on and also I would try make it a bit less knock sensitive in high gain again, the 24k has no knock sensitivity at all where as the Nox is quite bump sensitive when cranked right up, not quite as bad as the GM though.  I doubt they can improve sensitivity, it's already fantastic but I'd never be upset if they did 🙂

I'm sure they're saving the best of multi-IQ for the Gold Monster 2000 though possibly incorporating higher frequencies.  I don't think they expected the Nox to be as good as it is for prospecting and it quickly made the GM redundant for most people, not their usual tactic of keeping detectors far enough apart we want both 🙂  I just don't use my GM anymore, just as a pin pointer sometimes as I converted it to a tinyGM ®️ but other than that it spends its life in the cupboard as I can't think of any reason I'd use it over my Nox when looking for gold.

My understanding is that originally they were going to release the Equinox with single freq gold modes, and Tom D. was able to get the SMF gold modes working to satisfaction.   While I don't think that Tom D. is as plugged into prospecting as say Steve H., he seems to be pretty well grounded in all aspects of metal detecting, and design.