Manticore Goldfields Mode Discussion

36 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I don't know much about Tom D, is he a prospector?

Do the ML Equinox gold modes work on the (dry) ocean beaches?  That may have been his motivation -- to be sensitive to the small chain links.

58 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If I could change anything in gold mode it'd be fixing up it's ability to handle hot rocks to be on par with the 24k which really balances them out well. it can cruise over hot rocks the Nox constantly reacts on and also I would try make it a bit less knock sensitive in high gain again, the 24k has no knock sensitivity at all where as the Nox is quite bump sensitive when cranked right up

It is so amazing how detectors perform differently in different parts of the world. Everything you said in that quoted section.......for me and my experience with the 24k and the Nox..........it is completely the reverse. Just switch Nox for 24k..etc in that quote and that has been my experience. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It is so amazing how detectors perform differently in different parts of the world. Everything you said in that quoted section.......for me and my experience with the 24k and the Nox..........it is completely the reverse. Just switch Nox for 24k..etc in that quote and that has been my experience. 

Yup, that's why people don't get along on their opinions half the time I think and have arguments, I learnt that because someones opinion differs to mine that doesn't mean they're wrong some time ago.  I know you understand that but some don't seem to.

• Like 1

From what I heard... from direct tests on the gold chain... so Manticore will have an advantage... compared to today's detectors...:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Do the ML Equinox gold modes work on the (dry) ocean beaches?  That may have been his motivation -- to be sensitive to the small chain links.

It probably does have something to do with this.

I think the reason the Equinox reacts so bad on hot rocks here is the ground being so mild makes the hot rock signal more pronounced, with hotter ground being closer to the signal of the hot rock so the hot rock is already partially balanced out by the ground signal.  Here the difference between ground and hot rock is dramatic.  Why the 24k handles the situation better is above my pay grade 🙂

• Like 3

On 9/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

My understanding is that Tom D. also had a big hand in the prospecting mode on the Equinox and his gold mode change was what delayed the release by several months.  If I recall correctly I think they were going to have a single freq gold mode, and he got them over the finish line with a SMF gold mode (two actually). 

I remember events going down differently than Tom does as regards that subject. He generally seems to forget he is just one small cog in a very large machine, and about the last person Minelab is going to consult with as regards gold nugget prospecting modes. Sure, he noted that Multi was stronger on gold than single frequency, but he sure was not the only one saying that, as he seems to assume.

I also disagree with Tom's comments on the Equinox default modes, which are based on his use in low mineral ground, whereas the defaults are set for Australian and western U.S. conditions. It’s a fairly nice swipe at Nox users that nobody has been able to figure it out yet without his help…. but oh gosh because of that he is now going to help us poor rubes with Manticore.

Unfortunately, Toms settings and depth commentary have always been at complete odds with my experiences in the west, with my depths running 2/3 to half what he gets. There are similar disconnects in his various observations about detectors over the years that don’t jive with my results, so frankly, I don’t think his commentary is extremely useful, unless you are a Florida beach hunter. Just my opinion though. Some people almost worship the guy as some kind of everywhere, all the time, detector guru, so maybe I’m missing something about it all. Just a kid with a high school degree myself, nowhere near being a NASA engineer. :smile: I defer to beach hunters when it come to beach hunting, relic hunters when it comes to relic hunting, and Aussies when it comes to what detectors do in their ground. Context and ground conditions are everything when it comes to detecting. Now doubt though that Tom is a guru in his ground, on his targets.

Now, DanielTN has posted a lot on Tom’s, and that guy knows what detectors do in bad ground. It’s worth tracking down and reading his older stuff, as he was absent for quite some time, busy with other interests.

• Like 7

I was thinking something similar, how could Tom D possibly make gold modes work in multi on the Nox, he uses the detector and gives feedback but I doubt he's there modifying the code to make it work better, I think the credit really goes to the engineers that did it.  There is a big difference between giving feedback and actually writing the code and producing the hardware.  All he could really do is provide feedback and influence the engineers to make the decisions to put more time and effort into making the gold modes work better in multi to make it viable to include multi in the gold modes I think.

• Like 4

I think Tom D .... had a big influence on the inclusion of a changeable Iron Bias setting as one of the Equinox's features...,,

But his field tests reflect the work of the detector in low-mineralized terrain, where the detector on the low recovery speed setting achieves excellent deep results... sometimes almost at the limit of the detector's technical capabilities.

I like his comparative separation tests in the field...👍

Yes, the terrain of higher and high mineralization .. is a different world... and there a completely different detector setting will work optimally... and the practical depth will also be much smaller..

Manticore... from a direct comparison on the test field and in the field right away... from several modern detectors, it appears that this detector has great sensitivity for small targets.. such as 1/24 stater..,, and also excellent separation and depth of detection. ., for various targets placed deep on the test field "and disguised by iron from the side...:smile:

Test on the golden chain..where Manticore was able to detect the chain from even at a 90 degree angle...it also showed the high sensitivity of Manticore to small targets..definitely beyond the possibilities of Equinox and Deus 2..

• Like 5

On 9/25/2022 at 3:01 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The only reason I’m playing hard to get with Manticore is I am well invested in Nox custom rods and coils, and VLF usage is quite minimal for me anyway. 

Steve- I’m all in on this one like a drunken sailor in a brothel I can’t wait to get my hands on one lol. I’ve been waiting for a faster ctx for a long time ...anything that will help me disc out bottle caps..:)

strick 

• Like 5