Manticore Goldfields Mode Discussion

I wonder where on the target id and trace graphite will be.  On the Nox for me its a solid 1, same place little nuggets show.  Very frustrating.

Sometimes on the Nox nugs will bounce from 1-2 and into the negatives.  Unfortunately so do some hot rocks.  I am also hoping this will be fixed.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 2:59 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I remember events going down differently than Tom does as regards that subject. He generally seems to forget he is just one small cog in a very large machine, and about the last person Minelab is going to consult with as regards gold nugget prospecting modes. Sure, he noted that Multi was stronger on gold than single frequency, but he sure was not the only one saying that, as he seems to assume.

I also disagree with Tom's comments on the Equinox default modes, which are based on his use in low mineral ground, whereas the defaults are set for Australian and western U.S. conditions. It’s a fairly nice swipe at Nox users that nobody has been able to figure it out yet without his help…. but oh gosh because of that he is now going to help us poor rubes with Manticore.

Unfortunately, Toms settings and depth commentary have always been at complete odds with my experiences in the west, with my depths running 2/3 to half what he gets. There are similar disconnects in his various observations about detectors over the years that don’t jive with my results, so frankly, I don’t think his commentary is extremely useful, unless you are a Florida beach hunter. Just my opinion though. Some people almost worship the guy as some kind of everywhere, all the time, detector guru, so maybe I’m missing something about it all. Just a kid with a high school degree myself, nowhere near being a NASA engineer. :smile: I defer to beach hunters when it come to beach hunting, relic hunters when it comes to relic hunting, and Aussies when it comes to what detectors do in their ground. Context and ground conditions are everything when it comes to detecting. Now doubt though that Tom is a guru in his ground, on his targets.

Now, DanielTN has posted a lot on Tom’s, and that guy knows what detectors do in bad ground. It’s worth tracking down and reading his older stuff, as he was absent for quite some time, busy with other interests.

Difficult at best for most of us to comment on most of what you've stated as we simply weren't involved in the behind the scenes stuff.

I learned long ago that his inert Florida soil is akin to doing an air test for the most part, and as you stated has no translation into real world usage for those of us in areas with unlike soil conditions.  This was a realization I came to after using the F75 for many years, which is a great detector in the right conditions, but throw in ground mineralization and/or rust flakes which are common in most relic environs out west, and you have one handicapped detector.

Personally I don't think he's trying to mislead anyone.  His heart's in the right place, his detecting experience and passion are almost second to none.  Steve, you and Tom D. hunt very different types of sites for the most part.  When you were sharing your test experiences with the Equinox, I followed you closely because many of the western sites I detect have very similar ground conditions to what you were dealing with, so for me it's a much more apples to apples comparison.  That said, I don't discount what he shares, but after two decades of reading his information, one certainly learns where to draw the line.

His constant passion for moving the ball forward is seemingly focused mainly on EMI mitigation, better iron unmasking and of course increased depth.  I can't fault him for trying to move the ball forward in the detecting world.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, Cal_Cobra said:

Difficult at best for most of us to comment on most of what you've stated as we simply weren't involved in the behind the scenes stuff.

I learned long ago that his inert Florida soil is akin to doing an air test for the most part, and as you stated has no translation into real world usage for those of us in areas with unlike soil conditions.  This was a realization I came to after using the F75 for many years, which is a great detector in the right conditions, but throw in ground mineralization and/or rust flakes which are common in most relic environs out west, and you have one handicapped detector.

Personally I don't think he's trying to mislead anyone.  His heart's in the right place, his detecting experience and passion are almost second to none.  Steve, you and Tom D. hunt very different types of sites for the most part.  When you were sharing your test experiences with the Equinox, I followed you closely because many of the western sites I detect have very similar ground conditions to what you were dealing with, so for me it's a much more apples to apples comparison.  That said, I don't discount what he shares, but after two decades of reading his information, one certainly learns where to draw the line.

His constant passion for moving the ball forward is seemingly focused mainly on EMI mitigation, better iron unmasking and of course increased depth.  I can't fault him for trying to move the ball forward in the detecting world.

Tom is absolutely a sincere and honest person, with a burning passion for metal detecting. Several of his articles are true classics in the field. I never meant to imply anything else, and if it was taken that way, I apologize. When it comes to quoting depths attained, however, I do wish he would include more caveats as regards his rather exceptional conditions. Almost anyone anywhere will get results that are degraded compared to his.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Very well said indeed. I bought a D2 and ran it for a year trying to outshine a Nox 800 in my dirt. Simply because Tom stated it was marginally better with regards to depth.

Well that was a slight mistake in hindsight. Allthough the D2 performed adequatly, well I never had a single instance in which it outshined the Nox 800. Not for lack of trying though.

I’m no engineer, detector or aerospace. But boy Minelabs do seem to look at the ground and figure out anything conductive out of the ordinary. Positive or negative with relation to the GB point. Just hunt with the Nox in GB mode and all will become clear.

Xp D2 still seems to adhere to a principle where targets above the GB point are signaled and the rest is either silent or disced out. I don’t know for sure, but that seems to be the problem with regards to depth in any kind of mineralisation. The GB system is slow to respond when you do a grab. When you switch on tracking it’s way too fast and tracks out deep targets. Target ID is second to none. However if your after the deepies or the low conductors. GB needs some more work.

What will the Manty bring to the table. I had a slight taste of it during my 2 hour stint with it. She signalled a steadfast 1 on the ID scale. No ifs and buts. It was there during cross swings. Take out a small bite of the dirt and it was gone into the mineralisation. The Pro-find couldn’t locate it. Probably was smaller than an ant-fart.

My guesstimation is we’re going to like this one 🙂

2 hours ago, PSPR said:

This video popped up...

"...made in Israel and the US..."  I wonder if Uri Geller is behind this....  🤔  (Warning to others who think there's something new/worthwhile in this video.  It's presenting a new LRL.)

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

"...made in Israel and the US..."  I wonder if Uri Geller is behind this....  🤔  (Warning to others who think there's something new/worthwhile in this video.  It's presenting a new LRL.)

What's LRL, GB?  Does that mean Laughing Really Loud?  Are these devices all fake?  Should I delete that video?  Asking because I know nothing about them.

36 minutes ago, PSPR said:

What's LRL, GB?  Does that mean Laughing Really Loud?  Are these devices all fake?  Should I delete that video?  Asking because I know nothing about them.

Long Range Locator for gold. I just use my dowsing rods…………. then it’s my fault when I get skunked. 

Neither method are taught on this forum.