More Late 1850's Military Camp Relics & Silver This Time

Nice work once again...you have done some good research there...finding all those minnie balls you know your in the right spot...was wondering if the owners of the place knew there was an old camp there? Are you guys the first to hit it? Liking the 3 cent piece it's in great shape. Id the dime stamped? thanks for sharing love these old relic spots.

strick

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, strick said:

Nice work once again...you have done some good research there...finding all those minnie balls you know your in the right spot...was wondering if the owners of the place knew there was an old camp there? Are you guys the first to hit it? Liking the 3 cent piece it's in great shape. Id the dime stamped? thanks for sharing love these old relic spots.

strick

Yes the owners know the camp was on there property but not exactly where. I'm sure there have been people metal detecting there in the past. A lot of camps were discovered in the 1960's thru 1980's  back then there was no internet only treasure magazines and most guys just plain never told anyone. A good example is a camp I know of that some guys thought they were the first to discovered in the 1990's only to be told by an old timmer he'd been hunting it since the 60's.

You can also usually tell by what's left. Back when there was no notch disc. People would turn up their disc to knock out everything but the higher conductors. So all the bullets, larger buttons and coins are for the most part gone.

No the dime doesn't have a mint mark, if that's what you mean by stamped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome hunt. Love the Eagle R button. We don't seem to have these in New England. We get the A and I  but not R, at least not for me. Nice seated silver too!

• Like 1

Yea its kinda disappointing to hit a spot and find that all the high conductors are gone...seems most of the good relic spots I've hunted you  really had to work hard for every silver coin we've found....seems someone has always been there before us....But there is always hope...never give up.. like with gold nugget hunting nobody ever gets it all...

And anyone who has been successful in this hobby has not accomplished it with a negative defeatist attitude lol. 

strick

• Like 4

I'm sure you're in the Trime club already, so welcome back. 👍 Great hunt, had to look up the rifleman button!

That's a great spot with a really great family on it. Good on you for training the daughter, she must be having a blast. If we all could be so lucky... 🤔

• Like 1

Awesome finds, I've hunted a lot of hunted out spots only to pull some nice stuff out. never let old detecting stories get in your way of hitting a spot. seems to me you did pretty well on the day.

• Like 1

Great looking hunt from the pictures, and some nice looking silver.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Like 2