Catching Up

A busy summer has left little time for metal detecting, or even keeping track of what is happening in the world of metal detecting. Out yesterday for the first time in a while, and enjoyed a couple hours away from it all.

The Tarsacci is still my favorite detector ever. It just performs, and experimenting with it is still a joy. New detectors everywhere, but this one is still the one I want, and the big coil is never coming off it. Hilarious how it works in heavy junk.

Has anyone heard any more about the new detector Tarsacci is said to be working on? There was the thread below looking for suggestions, but that is gone cold. Has anything more has come out anywhere? 

There was an interview with Dimitar on YouTube some time back where he mentioned working on a gold detector. This sticks in mind just because of how the current model performs compared to other detectors. It is to wonder just what sort of gold detector a mind like Dimitar would come up with.

The MDT might be the last detector I would ever need. It works better for me than anything I have ever used. It is a shame no one seems to talk much about it anymore, but really, beyond a certain point there is not much left to say. It is deceptively simple, easy to operate after some experience with it, and has surprising capability that seems to pass unnoticed. But still, a gold machine like this maybe…? 

• Like 4

I too have not been out a lot, too hot & dry. When I have hunted it has been a low mineral site using The Legend. My Tarsacci has a permeant place in my detector lineup & will be used after we get some rain to soften up the ground. It is like no other machine in the right conditions.

I hope Dimitar is working on the next version of MDT with better tonal qualities & stereo mixed mode along with better TID range. A way for users to optimize for beach OR relic OR prospecting would be ideal.   While he is very willing to talk one on one with users, learning to set up the MDT 8000 & understand it's characteristics and apply them to various situations remains a steep learning curve. I'm not sure what I want but something more definite than "try this & see".

Tom Dakowski stated early on in the big MDT 8000 thread on his forum that the prototype was a very capable gold detector to the point that it had to be detuned to become an acceptable beach/relic detector. So the potential is there already.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JCR said:

Tom Dakowski stated early on in the big MDT 8000 thread on his forum that the prototype was a very capable gold detector to the point that it had to be detuned to become an acceptable beach/relic detector. So the potential is there already.

JCR,

Thank you for your excellent thoughts.

Having not read that in context, it is hard to know how or why that was done, but I do know that detuning it even further using settings works very well in some situations. The potential you speak of is not to be denied and the mysterious part of it all for me. Why is that potential not fully realized? 

Steep learning curve is curious too. Why should there be? It is simple enough once understood, yet no real attempt to explain is there to help with that understanding up front. There is no manual to speak of, not even to the point of showing which way the battery goes in. Dimitar is very generous with answering questions and talking on the phone, but not entirely forthcoming. Trying and seeing what happens has worked better for me, and detuning is an example of that. 

Still, if a person hangs in there with it, the thing works and works better over time as a person learns to use the settings intuitively. I can no longer imagine using anything else, unless it might be the new one Dimitar is said to be working on.

I have hunted less this year than other years, yet have done better than before. I go to places nearby that have been hunted to death, yet now they produce like they have not been touched. Unmasking is what makes the difference I think, the stuff I am finding has been there awhile, even in places I have hunted myself with this very detector. 

Sorry this is becoming long. It is to try and explain something I do not entirely understand explicitly. The potential is there as you say, and though not yet fully realized, I am gaining on it. 

6 hours ago, JCR said:

I hope Dimitar is working on the next version of MDT with better tonal qualities & stereo mixed mode along with better TID range. A way for users to optimize for beach OR relic OR prospecting would be ideal. 

This would be nice, but would not be enough to get me to spend that much money on the newer version. I understand what the old one is saying well enough to get by. I think Dimitar will go further than that if he makes a dedicated gold machine. What that might look like I cannot guess, but if it becomes the better gold version of this, I’m in.

• Like 2

If Dimitar is working on a gold detector I hope that it has a high frequency option, like 40 kHz. I bought the MDT because I read about the great depth it got, even in mineralized soil, so figured it might be a good gold machine. Not so far, found few targets in an area that has given up 2 gram pieces and lots of old bullets and other small non-ferrous junk to the Gold Monster and the TDI SL. The Tarsacci did not find much of that junk, but should have. Maybe I haven't put enough time into it. Yet, one day I came upon a target with the high clink in mixed mode and it was a 1.2 grain gold speck less than 1" deep. The tones can be confusing and wrong, and need to be more telling what it could be, non-ferrous-ferrous wise. I'm about done with that detector because I don't hunt relics or coins anymore, unless it's a virgin site--rare!

One of the big problems is Dimitar not communicating his wisdom. I know that takes time and energy, but if you're in business, that's what you need to do. I spoke with him about whether the Tarsacci could cancel out serpentine and he wasn't sure because he never tried it; didn't know where to find it. So I told him of a place right along Hwy 49 near Downieville, Ca. Said he'd go there and try it out. Never heard a word because he posts nothing and didn't call. 

Geezer, I'm glad that you've found the MDT the best ever!!! Yours is the most positive review I've seen and I guess you've put in the time to figure it out. If there's a high frequency machine coming out, I may have to try i. Problem I have is it costs lots of gas $$ traveling to sites in N Nevada.

• Like 2

YubaJ,

Thanks so much for your experiences. 1.2 grain seems an incredibly small piece, and testament to your skill to recover such a thing. 

The tones can indeed be confusing, and TID not as accurate as might be hoped for, but this detector is good at telling what is iron and what is not. It also is excellent for bad soil and heavy junk. This is the big advantage for me, and the workaround for the disadvantages is to simply listen for good tones that are not iron. The MDT is very good for me when used that way. You can train your ear to do what most are looking for the detector to do.

A person gets used to the noise from the junk, and learns to listen for the good tones worth digging in all that. It takes practice is all. I encourage you to not give up on the MDT too soon. Stay with it. Once you come to the point where you can trust it, a new world will open. 

You already can find gold barely more than a grain (Holy Cow!). If you had walked over a 2 gram piece you would surely have heard it. That plink was different wasn’t it? Even in mid tone, the sound is different. Good targets sound good. When you get used to it, you will find that over and over and that will make all the difference.

The MDT is worth the money, but it takes a while to prove it to yourself.

• Like 2

I'm 73 with long time humming in my ears.  On top of that I know I have some hearing loss to old age.    When I first got my Tar of course the tones, chimes and bells were confusing.   But like any machine it all starts to fall into place.  Even in All Metal. Especially hunting real silent areas, I'll hear something that says better take a second look.    Like everyone else I hunt my Mode according to whats in the ground I'm hunting.   If theres not much I'll go AM , if I'm running out of time, I'll cherry pick with Disc.   Generally I hunt Mix.    Good targets in Disc sounds to me as piano keys. Also in Mix.   Of course as in any machine depth will distort, multi coins, coins laying with trash, all kinds of ways a machine might sound off.    What sells me on the Tar is how easy it's able to quiet hunting salt beachs, wading salt water and and most of the time wave slaps.   I might be a slow learner but I never give myself credit on a machine till I dig a thousand good targets.   Yes including pennies.     Big problem today is  that might take a LONG time due to the Country going coinless,  money being spent on Cheap rings, Cell phones and Tats.    I remember reading in the Big Gold ring days guys would Disc out Quarters.  You don't have to today.      Story short , the Tarsacci stays.

PS It might be me but I'll read some reviews on this machine or that being best for Target separation.   Next thing I read they hunt in AM or at the least dig all Iffy signals.      If your a Newbe reading that, what would you think?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dancer said:

I'm 73 with long time humming in my ears.  On top of that I know I have some hearing loss to old age. 

The same here. Very loud ringing with conductive hearing loss. Thankfully the MDT has volume control, and the Eisenhower phones tamp down the wind noise so the audio is as clear as it gets. My bad hearing just is not an issue with the MDT.

I hunt in Mix Mode all the time, and will cherry pick to the extent possible with it too. It gives all the information available at once. A little noisy to begin with, but worth getting used to. Noise is a given for me, I do not hunt water or beaches anymore. I wade through the trash at parks and sports fields with the big coil. I look for where the grass is worn down, edges of parking lots, where people sit, anywhere I know lots of people are all the time. I dig a fair bit of pull tabs, and some crown caps, but most of the rest is good stuff.

What sells me on the Tar is how easy it's able to quiet hunting salt beachs, wading salt water and and most of the time wave slaps. 

It is the same for some bad ground here. When the only audio is good targets and junk, a person can focus on what is important. This and the ability to deal with iron make it exceptional for hunting the kind of places I go. There are no beaches and swimming holes here that are not hunted to death.

PS It might be me but I'll read some reviews on this machine or that being best for Target separation.   Next thing I read they hunt in AM or at the least dig all Iffy signals.      If your a Newbe reading that, what would you think?

I find excellent target separation, or at least do not find an issue with it. I frequently pull good targets in the same hole as nails and can slaw. Reviews for most detectors by most authors I find to be worth exactly what I paid for them. This one works for me, and I get nothing for saying so. 

There are some excellent hunters that are able to hunt in AM, but I am not one of them. The MDT audio in AM does not have the richness I find in Mixed, neither does Disc, but some like it. Each to their own. 

I seldom dig iffy signals. I did in the beginning, enough to know what the return on the effort was, but do not now. Good targets sound good, and if I lose a little costume jewelry doing that it does not bother me.  There has to be something about a signal that sounds good to me.

I get fooled by pull tabs a lot, and crown caps some too. Even some slaw now and again. Digging pull tabs is the price of admission till someone can tell the difference between them and gold rings. There is too much TID range in pull tabs to disc out and they frequently sound too good to ignore, so I dig them. It is a strategic decision, that is where the gold is, iffy signals are different. Good sounding signals that are not obviously iron get dug.

Of course all this means I spend a lot of time digging and do not cover much ground some days. Where the people are is where the gold is, and people always leave a lot of trash behind. That is why I hunt there, and why I like the Tarsacci to do it with,.

• Like 3

Geezer,

Thanks for the encouragement on the MDT, but that find was a freak event because I went over that ground with the MDT & 9" coil and only found some larger non-ferrous bullets and thick copper wire. That was before I found a few 1 gram to 2 gram nuggets with the higher frequency Gold Monster & Gold Bug 2. I also went over the ground with 2 other 18 & 19 kHz detectors--nothing much. When I get my MDT 9" coil ear repaired I'll take it to a good trashy relic site and give it hell until I can reject most of the trash by sound--I don't look at numbers much, just to see if they're plus or minus on this machine. There are a lot of factors at play. 1/2 of the tiny gold I've found there was 1-2" deep. I've detected the relic site with the Tek G2+ and Fors Gold+ and found some interesting stuff, liked the Fors better for tones, but G2+ is easiier to use and also gets the goods. The Gold Monster also tells what's what--ferrous, non-ferrous. In fact I should spend a little more time there with it. Although I'm not really into relics anymore, what detectors will do is interesting to me.

Gerry's gold detecting class at Rye Patch years ago showed me how to recover tiny nuggets with the scoop technique which is probably on U-tube somewhere--doesn't take very long.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YubaJ said:

Thanks for the encouragement on the MDT, but that find was a freak event because I went over that ground with the MDT & 9" coil and only found some larger non-ferrous bullets and thick copper wire.

Is there a 9” coil for the MDT? News to me. Perhaps you are referring to the stock coil?

There is no way an MDT will outperform a Gold Bug II hunting small gold in ground that it will operate in. I have no experience with the Gold Monster, but I should think the same for that. Any decent high frequency meant for gold hunting would be the same.

The Tarsacci should do well against other mid frequency machines though, and in bad soil do better. An educated guess on my part. I have owned and used GBII, a couple mid frequency, and still own a Gold Racer and Mirage PI. That amounts to two high frequency VLFs as the sum total of my dedicated gold machine experience so take that for what it is worth.

The Tarsacci is a compromise between the sensitive VLF and PI machines for me. It hunts pretty bad ground darn well, and lends itself to hunting in junk in a way that works for me. So far, the compromise is a good one and I no longer find use for PI, and it will find surprisingly small if set right. I sold most of my detectors, and the Tarsacci is the only one I use from what it left.

I have always wondered about the New Zealand coil for extreme ground that Dimitar made. The ground here is generally mild, but becomes challenging from the various sorts of things that wind up in it that can create bad ground. Fill dirt taken from old building sites, and furnace clinker are examples. EMI is an outside source of irritation that can do the same. The MDT works well in these conditions for me, it is to wonder how that coil would add to that primarily because settings that work well for really bad ground work really well for unmasking in good ground.

Taking the above rambling and putting it together, the Tarsacci behaves a little like VLF and PI. For what I do, that works. Whether more of that would work better, as in the New Zealand coil, is an interesting thought. Not interesting enough to get me to buy one, but a thought.

The reason any of this matters to me at all is because unmasking is what I believe the chief advantage of this detector is for how I hunt. Everything I do is geared to that, a sort of specialization that offers little competition in an area where there are lots and lots of detectorists. 

For what it is worth.

• Like 3