10” 24K Coil Issue

rled2005

Has anyone had problem with slight bumps on the 10” coil false firing? I turned the sensitivity down, but it still does it. It seems that the coil wasn’t filled with anything to stabilize the windings or internal wires. With the scuff cover off, the bottom seems hollow and flimsy feeling.

I had it on the first coil I got, and also, but not as bad, on the replacement they sent. Only the 10". Haven't seen it on either the 6", or the 14". Still really like my 24K. I can fix the first one. I know where the problem is, and can build a bridge  over the location causing the problem. I haven't diagnosed the problem with the second one. I'm glad that Steve sent me back the bad one when they warranteed it. Good to have a backup, though not as important now that Garrett has picked it up.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

I had it on the first coil I got, and also, but not as bad, on the replacement they sent. Only the 10". Haven't seen it on either the 6", or the 14". Still really like my 24K. I can fix the first one. I know where the problem is, and can build a bridge  over the location causing the problem. I haven't diagnosed the problem with the second one. I'm glad that Steve sent me back the bad one when they warranteed it. Good to have a backup, though not as important now that Garrett has picked it up.

Jim

Jim, should I fix it myself or send it to the repair guy he n Oregon? He want $50 to look at it, plus parts.

Do either of you know what they seal the coil with? I was looking at a White marine epoxy resin (JB Weld).

13 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sounds like a bad coil. The coils are not “filled” but that’s beside the point. Unusual knock sensitivity is not normal in the 24K.

Well, I got the cover off. The repair guy said it could be the bridge. The black piece in one of the pictures is a foam rubber that keeps pressure on the bottom cover. I added some closed-cell foam under the bridge (foam rubber piece) and two other places to equalize the pressure. and the problem seems to have gone away. Apparently, they fill the coil a little. I originally bought the 24K as an open box from Whites. Looks like someone worked on it before.

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

• Like 2

I forgot, there's a metal foil strip that is very sensitive, (where the chirping or false signals may have been coming from). The bridge keeps the cover away from it.

Going out away from town to test it further, too much interference in town. 

IMG_2949.JPG

• Like 2

22 hours ago, rled2005 said:

Jim, should I fix it myself or send it to the repair guy he n Oregon? He want $50 to look at it, plus parts.

The problem on my first one was a spot on top, to the right of the rod mount. Any ground contact, that pushed the rod to the right, cause a downward pressure on that spot, and caused a signal. I figured I could make a bridge of some sort so the rod would no longer push that spot down. never did it, but Steve at Whites sent the bad one back with the new one, at my request. (they were going out of business anyway). I have not looked into the problem with the replacement. It's not as bad, but still sensitive to knocks unless the gain is cranked way down.

Jim

1 hour ago, Jim in Idaho said:

The problem on my first one was a spot on top, to the right of the rod mount. Any ground contact, that pushed the rod to the right, cause a downward pressure on that spot, and caused a signal. I figured I could make a bridge of some sort so the rod would no longer push that spot down. never did it, but Steve at Whites sent the bad one back with the new one, at my request. (they were going out of business anyway). I have not looked into the problem with the replacement. It's not as bad, but still sensitive to knocks unless the gain is cranked way down.

Jim

Downward pressure on the rod causes it to sound off on mine also. The whole coil inside appears to be glued to the upper casing. I'm kind of fearful of trying to remove the foam and coil.

It seems that the side bump problem is gone. I'm curious if the Garrett coils are a direct fit?

• Like 1

yep, Garrett 24k coils work on the Whites 24k with no modifications and are no doubt much better build quality, the more I read the more it seems Whites were terrible at making coils, might be why they used Detech for some.

I have two Whites 6" Concentrics for my 24k now, glad I have a spare now after reading about how bad their coils are.  I hope Garrett makes the 6" Concentric soon, I'd like a better quality coil.

Thanks for posting the photos, interesting seeing inside it.

• Like 5