How Long Are We Going To Wait?

midalake

I am happy that modern metal detectors have update features. Windows 10 seems to update itself a couple of times each week if not more frequently. But we ended up with a stable Windows 10 platform. Not like that Vista crap and everything after the Windows XP platform up until windows 10.

Getting rid of Steve Balmer helped quite a bit. You don't have a non-IT person run and IT company and expect to see brilliant results. Apple tried that with the guy from Pepsi and Microsoft with balmer.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, Zord said:

I hope Xp fixes the awful audio: fulltones and pitch.

Is it really hard to transplant original 100% D1 audio into D2?

Pitch is great in square tones. Way better than in PWM. 
I use pitch almost 100% of the time. 
Never was comfortable using full tones.

• Like 1

I've been experimenting with Pitch in PWM lately and there seems to be some extra information coming through that is filtered out in square tones. This is particularly useful when trying to sort aluminum trash from coins and rings as the PWM audio will give more clues to the target's shape than Square audio will sometimes. 

• Like 3

I have also found PWM tones on aluminum tends to give a very loud tone, I will go back and try the square tones again after the next update.

On 11/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I've been experimenting with Pitch in PWM lately and there seems to be some extra information coming through that is filtered out in square tones. This is particularly useful when trying to sort aluminum trash from coins and rings as the PWM audio will give more clues to the target's shape than Pitch will sometimes. 

Bingo!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

PWM audio will give more clues to the target's shape than Pitch will sometimes.

???

17 hours ago, Carolina said:

???

That was my error which I have edited. I meant to say that PWM audio will give more clues to the target's shape than Square (not Pitch) audio sometimes.

What I mean by that is the more subtle ampitude response of PWM audio ramps up and down slower and can give softer "fuzzy" sounding responses that can vary quite a bit coming off the edges of non-round objects, but gives a cleaner, more focused sound on rounded objects.

Square audio has a gated fast ramping up and down sound which can make even the most mangled can slaw sound like a round target such as rings and coins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, unox said:

I have also found PWM tones on aluminum tends to give a very loud tone, I will go back and try the square tones again after the next update.

I had to edit my previous post. What I meant to say is that I'm finding PWM audio can give more clues to target shape than Square audio. This isn't always the case, but I find it helps me with sorting rounded objects from non-rounded objects much of the time. However, aluminum is a curse on all metal detectorists! 😉

• Like 5

100% agree. Square is more soft while pwm is much more informative as well as being the classic XP sound..

• Like 1