Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

MN, I`ll react, whether 1`m allowed or not, I`ve shown a few doorstoppers in the past, when I reckon you other folks have followed suit, I`ll post a few more.

I`ve had as many problems with the 6K as the EQ, zero, once I learnt how to use em..

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Norvic,

You are a MOD man.  We've seen what you did with the 2300!

I'm sure you can make almost anything 'work' and put it to use just the way you get it.  You adapt to the way your detectors work when you get them even if they are not working the way they were designed and advertised.

I don't own a 6000 but I've seen here many of the shortcomings it has as well as its good finds.

I do own an Equinox and it had to be replaced.  The shafts were also replaced.  Other people have had theirs leak and there are other known problems that Minelab has addressed under warranty.  It's a good detector but just like the 6000 it was released with liability problems for Minelab.

Some of these problems have caused detectorists real problems when they are on prospecting trips.  They want what they pay for and not have to mod/adapt everything.  They want a more finished product with fewer problems, but can this really happen with detectors?

We'll have to start a new thread of what was the most reliable detector ever made.  I'd say my 5000 is so adaptable/reliable that I don't know when it had a problem except for the ground tracking button on the handle.

• Like 2

Detector Center let me know they received my 6000, they seem to be on the ball, hopefully things go quickly. I 2nd day aired it to them and they picked it up on a Saturday. They haven't responded to the 3 times I've asked to get the speaker/EMI fix performed in specific, but I'm hopeful to get something much improved back. Also interested to see if they find any additional problems in addition to "the fix".

I sent my coil in just for the heck of it too, just in the off chance I had both a bad OEM and Coiltek coil, cover all bases.  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Norvic said:

I`ve had as many problems with the 6K as the EQ, zero, once I learnt how to use em..

Learnt how to use them or been forced to compromise to try to overcome the "problem" that shouldn't have been there in the first place?

D4G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Norvic,

You are a MOD man.  We've seen what you did with the 2300!

I'm sure you can make almost anything 'work' and put it to use just the way you get it.  You adapt to the way your detectors work when you get them even if they are not working the way they were designed and advertised.

I don't own a 6000 but I've seen here many of the shortcomings it has as well as its good finds.

I do own an Equinox and it had to be replaced.  The shafts were also replaced.  Other people have had theirs leak and there are other known problems that Minelab has addressed under warranty.  It's a good detector but just like the 6000 it was released with liability problems for Minelab.

Some of these problems have caused detectorists real problems when they are on prospecting trips.  They want what they pay for and not have to mod/adapt everything.  They want a more finished product with fewer problems, but can this really happen with detectors?

We'll have to start a new thread of what was the most reliable detector ever made.  I'd say my 5000 is so adaptable/reliable that I don't know when it had a problem except for the ground tracking button on the handle.

Nah, Mod on the SDC didn`t help it is still the only gold detector I`ve had that hasn`t paid for itself, the Equinox I went with Steves mod The MicroNox and the 6K I cut a thread off a shaft lock nut otherwise it`s a brilliant no drama detector for me, that has paid for itself many times over.

Nah I`ve started a positive thread, that really is Gerrys thread as he`s the original Gobstopper man.   

• Thanks 1

I can't get my GPX repaired until later this month, the service agent doesn't yet have the part required to do it but the parts are on their way, I suspect this is why the notice is for Australia only at the moment, as part availability outside of Australia wouldn't be sufficient to do the repairs, obviously in the US at the moment there are some parts available.   All good, I'm not using the detector anyway so I don't mind waiting.

I've been hunting around the internet for reports of people who have had the repair done, early reports so far are indicating the repair is well worth doing and makes a big noticeable difference.   Sounds promising.  Pretty exciting really.  Perhaps even those incapable of noticing the problem will notice the improvement once they get theirs done.

• Like 3

An update on getting my 6000 back from receiving the update. Took it out for a swing for an hour or so while I was in Clermont this morning on other matters. 

Definitely an improvement. I ran the external speaker without issue and picked up two pieces in the process.

I set the machine down to test if the stability held and it did. I never had the issue of EMI while detecting. I ran the machine on full manual sensitivity where I normally only run between half to three quarters. I’m yet to use it with headphones to see if there is a difference as I didn’t have them on me (a friend of mine has one that had the update before mine and he reckons there is a difference even with headphones). 

If you are yet to get it in to have the update, I highly recommend it, it’s a totally different machine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Really liking these early reports!

If you have the repair done can you list the serial number and date of purchase too.  Atleast DOP if not comfortable giving serial #.  Maybe we can find the range on our own 🙄

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I can't get my GPX repaired until later this month, the service agent doesn't yet have the part required to do it but the parts are on their way, I suspect this is why the notice is for Australia only at the moment, as part availability outside of Australia wouldn't be sufficient to do the repairs, obviously in the US at the moment there are some parts available.   All good, I'm not using the detector anyway so I don't mind waiting.

I've been hunting around the internet for reports of people who have had the repair done, early reports so far are indicating the repair is well worth doing and makes a big noticeable difference.   Sounds promising.  Pretty exciting really.  Perhaps even those incapable of noticing the problem will notice the improvement once they get theirs done.

Have they said exactly what they are fixing yet?  what parts? Looks like I'll be sending mine back again but have to wait till this next trip is over...one of the problems I'm having is that it all seems kinda vague to me...what are thy fixing? I really wish a dealer would get on here and shed some light if they know anything we dont...

strick