Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

16 minutes ago, Aureous said:

Should I send my 6000 back to ML????

I think yes.  Or just take it into Nathan in Bendigo.  I have found my 6000 a pleasure to use as well as generally I use a low latency blue tooth receiver and some sports ear buds. But, when I have used the speaker it has become unstable and annoying.  When genuinely prospecting walking through the hills and just turning the detector on sporadically I would actually prefer to use the speaker.  Now, I will be much more inclined to do just that.   

And yes, we are in the wrong thread.  Where is the forum warden to clean things up? 😂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GotAU? said:

You know, as I wrote that first post I rechecked my email inbox and just saw that I received a reply back from the AU Service Center. So my detector is in the affected lot and needs the mod. They said they’d confirm when I could get it repaired and get back to me with information about how and when I can send it to their US service center.
That’s a great start, and they’ve always been very good whenever I’ve sent them a question. 

You contacted the Australia Service Center and not the US Service Center?

7 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Jason, have you received your updated 6000 yet?  Interested in hearing how it works out for you. 

Out for delivery today. It'll be a bit before I can get it into the field though - trying to renovate and sell my house and got a ton of stuff that needs to get done before the floor refinishers and electricians get here so that's keeping me in town every day until it's ready.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jasong said:

Out for delivery today. It'll be a bit before I can get it into the field though - trying to renovate and sell my house and got a ton of stuff that needs to get done before the floor refinishers and electricians get here so that's keeping me in town every day until it's ready.

Trade you electrical work for permission to hunt with you at your summer spot. 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, matt said:

You contacted the Australia Service Center and not the US Service Center?

Contacted both, got a reply almost immediately. Their service people are really helpful.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aureous said:

Im quite busy scratching my head on this.....my 6000 has worked well from day one, Ive always used the supplied headphones with zero issues and although the EMI is sometimes a pain, mostly it is not. I'm now sitting at 622 bits of gold for the year, 90% with the 6000. If the NF 12x7 Xceed coil is quieter than the stock 11", I will consider my experience with the 6000 (almost) faultless. I had to buy the 'Critta's' lock stem to solve the BS 'no lock' stem supplied by ML. Electronically and in-field, I am quite happy. Should I send my 6000 back to ML???? :unsure:

As far as I experienced, the headphones are fine, it’s when I use the speaker that I have the issues. If that doesn’t bother you maybe wait until you can part with your detector for a while. You probably have at least two years left on your warranty like I do, so if you’re not planning on selling your detector anytime soon and it’s working well for you with headphones then I don’t think you have to be in a hurry to get it serviced. There may be a backlog building up though so keep that in mind too.

• Like 1

If I was unhappy with my 6000 I’d just throw it in the trash and I did but it don’t belong to me. I forgot it belongs to a friend and he made me go dig it back out.

Would you believe a guy would buy a 6000 and have it sent to you. We both nuts. He did and it’s still at my house.

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

If I was unhappy with my 6000 I’d just throw it in the trash and I did but it don’t belong to me. I forgot it belongs to a friend and he made me go dig it back out.

Would you believe a guy would buy a 6000 and have it sent to you. We both nuts. He did and it’s still at my house.

MMMMM... Expensive throw away.

D4G

• Haha 1

Got it back, Detector Center did a great job with fast turnaround. Original control box and original coil came back, pretty sure the original speaker is still in there too. 1.7hrs labor. As noted previously no other problems noted and just the fix was performed.

So, either they missed a problem or location itself plays a part in the instability issues and we'll see if this fix address it. Not guessing - there are just no other options. Consider: I posted some videos months back showing the detector running completely unstable, and no amount of noise cancels would correct it. This phenomenon occurs in some locations and not others, and is repeatable in the same locations. So since my detector has a clean bill of health and no other problems were found/fixed (and assuming they didn't miss a problem), it's safe to say that location specific instability issue is inherent to the 6000 itself, or whatever was addressed by this fix. There is no other explanation, it's one or the other. 

It'll be 10 days at least until I can get away long enough to make the drive to gold country and test in the same locations. But I will put the detector together tomorrow and drive out to the prairie just to make sure it's all working, and set the detector on the ground to see if it stays stable. But it needs to be tested in locations I know were previously undetectable due to instability to see what really got fixed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sounds good,  looking forward to hearing if your emi clears up.  Like you said it is mainly location specific emi, and I've experience the same here in Nor Cal. Some areas good,  some bad, and no rhyme or reason. Headphones dont clear up the emi on my detector, and I have just learned to deal with it over the past year.  But it sure would be nice to have a smooth threshold tone, as I really enjoy the detector when its running right!

• Like 2