Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

8 hours ago, GotAU? said:

If that doesn’t bother you maybe wait until you can part with your detector for a while.

Yeah I was thinking that, maybe during our Summer when its too hot to go out prospecting. Thanks

• Like 1

I don't think I will be using my 6K for awhile so I initiated the repair request and am sending mine to the US Service center this week - they just sent me the instructions for sending it in -

I just recorded a short video to show the threshold stability differences between using the built in speaker and a wireless Bluetooth speaker.  I never realized it until I started using the built in speaker when I forgot to charge my Bluetooth speaker one day.  It is quite the difference, and as others here have said, it becomes rather unusable  with the threshold doing this.

I do have to thank the people at both the AU and US Minelab service centers for their help getting my repair request started. I will post a similar video showing the results of the servicing when it is returned.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Aureous said:

Yeah I was thinking that, maybe during our Summer when its too hot to go out prospecting. Thanks

I was rather surprised at the difference a external speaker makes however, so if you really don't need it then yeah, I'd keep your hunt going for the remainder of your season.  I don't anticipate being able to go for awhile and have a backup detector if I do get the opportunity,  so I am going ahead with the update.  I will post about the results when I get them.

• Like 1

That's an excellent example of one of the EMI problems GotAU.  How they could ever not consider that a fault I don't know which is why I was so annoyed at their first product notice blaming it on being a sensitive detector.  I'm glad they've come to the party and are fixing them all up.

• Like 2

@jasong

Hi Jason,

How did you send your 6000 back to US Minelab, did you just send them the main  box like illustrated in Simon’s post or the entire unit with the 1st rod and control pod still attached, and a battery and coil?

The person who sent me the return information didn’t seem to know about the tear down info Simon posted and just sent a generic service letter that asks for battery and coil to also be sent and does not mention the tear down information and requires quite a longer box for shipping!

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

PS: By the way, I think your inbox is full (or disabled?) as I couldn’t PM you about this….

-Anthony

Wow, they want your battery and coil too? here they specifically only want the back control box, perhaps in the US they're going to test everyone's coil for faults and ear cracks too while it's there, that's good service.

I'm shipping mine off tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Wow, they want your battery and coil too? here they specifically only want the back control box, perhaps in the US they're going to test everyone's coil for faults and ear cracks too while it's there, that's good service.

I'm shipping mine off tomorrow.

No I think it was just a generic service letter, same thing they send for all detectors. Yours was much more specific for just the issue. I guess I’ll have to wait and see what I get. I’m just hoping to save a lot of money on shipping by only sending the box.

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

@jasong

Hi Jason,

How did you send your 6000 back to US Minelab, did you just send them the main  box like illustrated in Simon’s post or the entire unit with the 1st rod and control pod still attached, and a battery and coil?

The person who sent me the return information didn’t seem to know about the tear down info Simon posted and just sent a generic service letter that asks for battery and coil to also be sent and does not mention the tear down information and requires quite a longer box for shipping!

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

PS: By the way, I think your inbox is full (or disabled?) as I couldn’t PM you about this….

-Anthony

Sorry yeah I keep having to clear stuff out of my inbox. It doesn't notify me when fills back up.

I just sent my control box and coil , no battery or shafts. Tore down via Simon's Minelab instructions. Only sent coil to make sure it checked out and to eliminate one potential problem in the event I need to do further diagnosis, but I don't think it's necessary. 

I wanted to next day air it so I reduced the weight as much as I could.

• Like 1