Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

4 hours ago, goldenoldie said:

How does it sound when operating with a Threshold for the video test?

Will post…

• Like 1

It would be great to hear more feedback from members when available on the effects (if any) of the update on those using headphones. My 6 is an early model and I only use headphones. I am finding gold so am reluctant to send mine back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

It would be great to hear more feedback from members when available on the effects (if any) of the update on those using headphones. My 6 is an early model and I only use headphones. I am finding gold so am reluctant to send mine back. 

If you get it looked at & have the "fix" done, you may find more gold that you previously missed. While under warranty you would be crazy not to get it done. Even if you feel you are unaffected using just the headphones. By having the fix done it may improve your detector more. At the moment you are just used to how the detector is now & the fix may improve it more which is what it is all about. Surely it won't make it worse. 

D4G

• Like 3

Well I  emailed the Dectector Center today asking how long might the repairs take. This is their response.

“Unfortunately, our repair technicians are experiencing a higher than normal volume of repairs at this time.  They take much care in giving the proper attention to each machine that comes in for repair.
After diagnosing the problem, you’ll be receiving a call from one of our technicians.  

I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you in advance for your patience.”

Yes, you do need patience, they will be having a heavy workload and they can't just pull new staff out of nowhere to speed up the repairs, especially when its PCB level repairs, it requires skilled staff.   Now will be the peak where everyone is trying to get it done so sending it in now you can expect a wait, if you don't want to wait let the heat come out a bit after the initial demand slows.  The poor service agent workers would have gone from a normal amount of work where they could get stuff done quite quickly to now being flooded with work as they've still got their normal repairs to do along with essentially a recall of over a years worth of detectors sold.  Remember it's not the service agents fault, they're the good guys helping you.

• Like 1

I'm unclear why this is even considered a warranty issue at all. This should be more like a recall. The words "fix" and "warranty" seems to imply we as customers broke something with normal usage. Not the case. This was a design flaw as new.

IMO, an unfixed detector is broken. People are going to be selling unfixed 6000's to other less informed people, and the problem is just going to go on and on forever, but then the liability will be on the customer who sold the used detector?

Minelab still hasn't even posted the fix notice to the US site. No announcement. No explanations. This thread is the only real posted notice for anyone outside of Australia. How many people are still struggling with detectors they don't even know there is a fix for?  :wacko: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A friend of mine had his update/fix done at his local ML dealer and took only 10 minutes he tells me. Well worth the effort, he says its almost a new machine....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dan Smith said:

Never really had any issues with mine, so I won't need a fix. Using headphones and avantree only.

GC

• Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, jasong said:

I'm unclear why this is even considered a warranty issue at all. This should be more like a recall. The words "fix" and "warranty" seems to imply we as customers broke something with normal usage. Not the case. This was a design flaw as new.

IMO, an unfixed detector is broken. People are going to be selling unfixed 6000's to other less informed people, and the problem is just going to go on and on forever, but then the liability will be on the customer who sold the used detector?

Minelab still hasn't even posted the fix notice to the US site. No announcement. No explanations. This thread is the only real posted notice for anyone outside of Australia. How many people are still struggling with detectors they don't even know there is a fix for?  :wacko: 

Shush, you’re going to mess up my resale value! 🤫  Just kidding!

You are totally right though. I’m actually thinking of keeping it but then I’m tempted sometime. Either way, knowing about the issue, there was no way I would’ve sold it without getting the fix before hand, that wouldn’t have been very honest saying it works great and all that on the ad. But now I can if I decide to sell it.

I’m planning on using it for a while and see how it goes, At least planning to save at least one year’s worth of warranty on it which will give me a couple good trips with it, and time to see how those other ones are doing with everyone else testing them out.  I’m through with being a crash test dummy, especially with my own money for brand new models.

• Like 2